hum... 2-stroke oil in gas

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by andylawcc, Dec 26, 2012.

1. andylawcc

andylawcc Lifer

2. The Boston Dangler

2nd sentence, stupidity confirmed

3. Bartman39

Bartman39 Super Moderator<br>Elite Member<br>For Sale/Trade<
    Super Moderator

Not in gas powered cars of today mainly due to the sensors and cats...

But...! I use it all the time in my Duramax diesel as it cleans the system (injectors) and engine noise is reduced as well...

4. TakeNoPrisoners

TakeNoPrisoners Platinum Member

Seems pretty dumb to me. Maybe I will put an electric turbo on my car now.
    [​IMG]

#4 TakeNoPrisoners, Dec 26, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 26, 2012
  5. SparkyJJO

SparkyJJO Lifer

I tried it for kicks a while back. Did nothing at least mpg wise. Can't say about internal cleanness or anything as I didn't tear stuff apart. I can see the improved compression however - a test for worn rings is to dribble a little oil in the cylinder after testing and see if the next test shows higher numbers. Makes me think this would work better on vehicles that have either worn rings or just poorly fitting pistons/rings to begin with.

Several suspect comments in there. "ATF has no lubricating properties either" the heck does he think it does in the transmission then?

I dunno, i still have some of that old bottle left. Maybe give it a go in my current vehicle that has a lot of miles on it now just to see what happens :p

#5 SparkyJJO, Dec 27, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 27, 2012
  6. Ferzerp

Ferzerp Diamond Member

Don't you know, that's why we keep getting more and more power recovered out of less and less of it... ;)

7. Throckmorton

Throckmorton Lifer

Note the posts saying "I do this and get great results and haven't had any problems"...

That's the exact same argument people use for K&N filters. What do people think the problems are going to be? The engine exploding? And do they really believe a "1mpg improvement" is meaningful? That's well within the margin of error for real world driving.

8. mmntech

mmntech Lifer

I used to use ATF in my old car. My mechanic at the time told me it would help clean the injectors. Guy knew his stuff and it never seemed to do any harm to the car. Still ran great up until the body gave out. It was an 80s car mind you. I also use ATF in my model engines while wintering them to keep the bearings from seizing.

9. Railgun

Railgun Golden Member

Completely wrong.

TC-W3 (read: low ash) is fine.

10. manimal

manimal Lifer

peeps have been adding tc-w3 to gas tanks for as long as I can remember.

11. SparkyJJO

SparkyJJO Lifer

But if the 1 MPG improvement is consistent then it is meaningful. I never noticed such a thing on my old car however.

12. LTC8K6

LTC8K6 Lifer

It would void the warranty.

If anything happens, it will be blamed on this anyway.

13. Bartman39

Super Moderator

Sure no problem just keep using it...:whiste:

14. manimal

manimal Lifer

Lots of old timers used to do this. As long as its low ash and at 500 to 1 you shouldnt have any issues.

I have a winter beater expedition with 245k miles with a slight rough idle. lets give it a try!!!

may not now that I think about it......hmmm..atg..should I try it? probably not

objectively it shouldnt damage the fuel pump and would probably help a little. I am skeptical of the claims that it cleans ring guides.

15. phucheneh

phucheneh Diamond Member

'Gasoline is too dry,' says this guy? (no, this isn't the beginning of a poem)

Does he understand the concept of a modern four stroke engine? Everything that needs lubrication... receives lubrication. I'm guessing he doesn't understand the concept of internal oil flow...nothing is 'dry.' Even the common sources of excessive oil burning (valve seals/guides and piston rings/cylinder walls) are succeptible to such because they are intended to have SOME lubrication.

As mentioned earlier, all this might do is help to clean carbon deposits. And that's debatable...trans fluid or something else detergent-heavy would probably be better. Or something with solvents (oh wait, gas is a solvent...).

But you're going to generate large amounts of smoke that are most certainly going to descreable (edit: wtf? 'decrease'...'descreable' sounds like a cool word, though) the life of the converter's catalyst material...if not completely destroy (melt) it.

...but I hope this guys runs with his idea. Every time a Camaro breaks due to owner stupidity, an angel gets its wings.

edit: and as far as 'as long as the ratio is low enough...'

Congrats, you're now a believer in holistic (as per the corrupted, non-literal meaning) medicine. 'As long as I dilute it enough, it can't hurt me! Conversely, it must be good!' o_O

#15 phucheneh, Dec 27, 2012
  16. Pacfanweb

Pacfanweb Lifer

Not if you don't tell them. How will they know, if the engine fails and they dealer has to replace it? It's not like there'd be anything inside to give it away, and that's ASSuming they even bother to tear it down in the first place. Most dealerships nowadays, if there's an internal engine issue, they just put another motor in it.

17. phucheneh

phucheneh Diamond Member

It gets sent back to manufacturer, though. For a core, if nothing else. For stuff without a core, parts just sit in a storage space at the dealer until a specific amount of time has passed (without the carmaker asking for the part), then they can be thrown away.

If it is a special/unusual case, or if they are simply getting lots of reports of the same part failing, they may want to do a failure analysis.

...but if the claim gets rejected because of their testing, that burns the dealer, not you.

I've mentioned this kinda stuff before. People seem to be under the misguided impression that engine/trans failures are immediately torn down, the fluid sent out for analysis, ect. It's just not the case...the dealer is generally the one who decides if it is a suspicious case that needs to be looked into further. And that means they see obvious signs of neglect, a prior collision, ect.

18. SparkyJJO

SparkyJJO Lifer

That tiny bit of oil isn't going to leave marks behind or damage anything. Since when does a few drops of oil destroy an engine? Really? Won't happen.

Saying that it is pointless is one thing as there is plenty of evidence to support that. But saying that oil will lead to engine failure is ridiculous. If that were possible, why don't engines completely implode once they start burning oil? If engines can run for thousands of miles puffing on used engine oil, a little bit of fresh clean oil in the fuel isn't going to harm a darn thing.

#18 SparkyJJO, Dec 27, 2012
  19. Bartman39

Super Moderator

Old timers...? Uh I am one...:p Also 500 to 1...? Do not think that would be of any benefit or harm...? What are ring guides...? Think you mean "ring grooves" or "valve guides"...? I did run across something rather interesting about the various 2 stroke oils... BTW TCW3 is "ashless" while TCW2 is "low ash"... Also all TCW3 oils may not give the results that are desired in cars and just remember it is NOT designed for 4 stroke gas engines so swear by it or possibly swear at it (your choice)...

20. manimal

manimal Lifer

yes I meant ring grooves. Was really just playing devils advocate. At such a low ratio it probably doesn't do anything. As you say to use 2 cycle oil in the engine would yield catastrophic results. Now adding such a low mix to fuel shouldn't harm anything.

I did read a little of the thread though my appetite for 60 + pages of babbling is behind me in my old age.

I remember my dad telling me stories of guys in the 40s and 50s doing this. Now tolerances were a hair looser in those days.....

I in no way endorsed the practice, was just having a little fun.

After rereading what I wrote I can only assume that you took my comment about it possibly helping lubricate the fuel pump as an endorsement. It wasnt. The last thing I wrote clearly says I am skeptical.

I will get off your lawn now.

21. Bartman39

Super Moderator

No way dood your no where near it...:D

But yea have to agree years back it was used quite often but with today's newer systems it would not be a wise choice... As for a catastrophic engine failure no way and do not want that impression given (if used in the fuel not the "crankcase" which is a different story)... While it might cause an issue with a Cat or and O2 sensor over time depending on the ratio it wont hurt much else but in that article it leads to the conclusion that it might just gunk up certain parts...?

I would just opt for a "good" fuel system cleaner and even consider the middle grade of fuel or better... But what do I know I drive a diesel...:twisted:

Its all good...:biggrin:

#21 Bartman39, Dec 27, 2012
  22. phucheneh

phucheneh Diamond Member

Thousands of miles burning engine oil can and does ruin catalytic converters. Depending on the vehicle and how far you push it, this can lead to significant engine problems (from a restricted exhaust).

Most typically: At best, premature ring/cylinder wear. At worst, blown head gasket. Depending on your definition of best/worst...easier to replace a head gasket than it is to rebuild a short block.

23. SparkyJJO

SparkyJJO Lifer

Well yeah, if you burn enough of it. But we're also not talking burning a quart of oil every hundred miles and smoke from the tailpipe. This is practically undetectable (and why I can't see it doing much in the first place, good or bad). Most manufacturer's allowable oil usage amounts are far above the tiny bit you'd be putting in your tank with this anyway.

24. BUTCH1

BUTCH1 Lifer

I remember awhile back about "mob" gas in the NY/NJ area, this was the early 90's, what they did was mixed used motor oil with gas between 7-10%, the cars were running OK until some cat's got clogged and some mechanic's got suspicious and had the fuel analyzed and they found out what was going on. Pretty slick if you think about it, pretty angry if you were one of the one's with cat problems down the road..

25. LTC8K6

LTC8K6 Lifer

Sure, they'll never look at the fuel when a possible fuel related failure occurs and they have a big warranty repair...

Sure, they'll never look for any excuse to blame it on the owner...

Of course not...

I don't know what I was thinking...