Hulu, XBMC, and Roku

Discussion in 'Home Theater PCs' started by Essence_of_War, Apr 13, 2013.

1. Essence_of_War

Essence_of_War Platinum Member

I currently have a Roku-set-top for my living room TV. It's mostly great! The one big issue that I have now, is that some Hulu content isn't available for Roku streaming.

I'm planning on cancelling my cable TV subscription, if hypothetically, I was running an HTPC based on say, XBMCbuntu, will I be able to access to all of the content on Hulu that's normally unavailable on Roku?

2. Loading...

Similar Threads - Hulu XBMC Roku Forum Date
    Anyone recording off of Roku and slingtv? Home Theater PCs Sep 11, 2016
    Plex, Serviio, XBMC, Need Something That Just Works Home Theater PCs Jan 13, 2015
    Htpc/Xbmc Home Theater PCs Jan 10, 2015
    XBMC bit streaming issues Home Theater PCs Dec 30, 2014
    Question about WTV recordings in XBMC and BTsync Home Theater PCs Nov 21, 2014

3. crashtestdummy

crashtestdummy Platinum Member

There is a Hulu add-on for xbmc. It's unofficial, which means a few things:

• It's not officially supported. In fact, Hulu would probably prefer that it not work at all.
    • It works not by a proprietary API but by using the Flash video from the website.
    • As a result, it can access anything on Hulu that you can get on a browser. That also means that you don't need a Hulu+ subscription to get current TV shows.
    There are also add-ons for Amazon, PBS, and other broadcast and basic cable stations that works the same way. I will warn you that Netflix doesn't work well on XBMC if you have windows, and not at all if you have Linux. It has to do with the fact that Netflix uses Silverlight instead of Flash

4. Unheard

Unheard Diamond Member

FWIW, take a look @ a Raspberry PI running Xbian. Thats what I'm using ATM and it works wonders.

5. Face2Face

Face2Face Diamond Member

You could install Plex and install the Hulu channel within Plex. It's a little clunky and temper-mental, but you may be able to get the shows that you are wanting?

#4 Face2Face, Apr 15, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2013
  6. TSDible

TSDible Golden Member

This is what I do on my HTPC. It is a bit clunky... but I still find it better than the Hulu Desktop application.

7. Kneedragger

Kneedragger Golden Member

I'm going to be cancelling cable next month and going this route too. Is there a list of whats not available with the Roku? What platform gives 100% access?

#6 Kneedragger, Apr 15, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 16, 2013
  8. Face2Face

Face2Face Diamond Member

Not sure about a list?

I cancelled cable and now use OTA for the free stuff - (Fox,CBS,NBC,ABC,CW and etc...)
    I also have Hulu+, which includes all of the OTA stations but has them on demand (Kind of like a DVR with commercials)
    I have Netflix (Kids use that the most)
    Then I use PLEX for all of my content - If you use USENET,Torrent or rip your movies - this is a great program.
    You can also watch Plex content on your Roku, Smart phone, iPad and even share your content with other people.

I have thought about building an HTPC, but I like the flexibility I have now. I also built a Media server specifically for Plex use.

#7 Face2Face, Apr 16, 2013
  9. piasabird

piasabird Lifer

I watch a lot of stuff on Crunchyroll, Vikki, and Dramafever because I am into Korean shows with subtitles. I stream it over the Internet with a PC (htpc without a tuner). I also have OTA content via an antenna. I cant afford to waste money on cable or satelite.

With the money you waste on cable you can afford to buy a PC every year or two plus all the DVDs you can watch.

#8 piasabird, Apr 16, 2013
  10. Kneedragger

Kneedragger Golden Member

Thanks for the info. I use Xbmc so I don't think I will be trying Plex but the OTA service Hulu offers makes me happy.

11. TSDible

TSDible Golden Member

I use the plex server, not the application. I use the plexbmc plugin to access it.

so for instance... CBS is NOT available on Hulu+. But I can watch full episodes using plex and xbmc.

I'm fairly new to the HTPC thing, so I'm still trying out a bunch of different setups.

12. Essence_of_War

Essence_of_War Platinum Member

I don't know if there is a list, but I do know that web browser is the only reliable way to get all of it.