Hulu coming to iPhone App Store

bigrash

Lifer
Feb 20, 2001
Withing a few months? I wonder if Apple will announce this at their June conference since this is a huge selling point for them.

QueBert

Lifer
Jan 6, 2002
Hulu just uses Flash right? Flash is coming to the iPhone this summer so I would imagine Hulu app or not, we'll be able to watch it. An app would be win though, the Myspace & Facebook apps make both easier for me to use.

I <3 iPhone specific version of web sites & apps

gorcorps

aka Brandon
Jul 18, 2004
I came... that's great news. I would pay probably $10 for a decently working hulu app.

TheWart

Diamond Member
Dec 17, 2000
Originally posted by: QueBert
Hulu just uses Flash right? Flash is coming to the iPhone this summer so I would imagine Hulu app or not, we'll be able to watch it. An app would be win though, the Myspace & Facebook apps make both easier for me to use.

I <3 iPhone specific version of web sites & apps

I would hope that a Hulu app would use some sort of special wrapper for the files instead of flash since I am not sure flash would be the best delivery mechanism for mobile video given its cpu intensiveness.....

Aimster

Lifer
Jan 5, 2003
How does this work?
They have streaming radio and now streaming tv on the iphone

What if someone decided to stream for an entire weekend?

That's almost 5GB territory. The limit ATT set before they go crazy on u

aphex

Moderator<br>All Things Apple
Jul 19, 2001
Originally posted by: Aimster
How does this work?

AT&T can tell Apple which apps to block from 3G access, I assume this one will be Wifi only (if your not jailbroken that is)

EDIT: I guess it helps if I actually READ the article. 3G and Wifi, Kickass!

ViRGE

Elite Member, Moderator Emeritus
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: aphex
Originally posted by: Aimster
How does this work?

AT&T can tell Apple which apps to block from 3G access, I assume this one will be Wifi only (if your not jailbroken that is)

EDIT: I guess it helps if I actually READ the article. 3G and Wifi, Kickass!
I'll believe it when I see it. AT&T is so oversubscribed in places that it's not even funny. They've been doing just about everything they can to cap consumer bandwidth usage, particularly with the iPhone.

boomhower

Diamond Member
Sep 13, 2007
Skyfire has been able to do this for a while now on WM. A good app would be very nice but hardly a revolutionary.

TheStu

Moderator<br>Mobile Devices & Gadgets
Sep 15, 2004
Originally posted by: boomhower
Skyfire has been able to do this for a while now on WM. A good app would be very nice but hardly a revolutionary.

And a StarTac was able to make calls long before a WM phone could.

It isn't about who does it first, it is more about who does it better. Sure, other phones could get on YouTube before the iPhone, but the interface on the iPhone feels better. Same with the browser.

And there are things that other phones do better. Blackberry apparently handles email like nobody's business (though I do not get nearly enough email for me to care that much :)) and no one can quite touch it.

As I said, it isn't about who is first, it is about who is better.

uli2000

Golden Member
Jul 28, 2006
Originally posted by: TheStu

It isn't about who does it first, it is more about who does it better. Sure, other phones could get on YouTube before the iPhone, but the interface on the iPhone feels better. Same with the browser.

And there are things that other phones do better. Blackberry apparently handles email like nobody's business (though I do not get nearly enough email for me to care that much :)) and no one can quite touch it.

Lets see...Hulu on WM via skyfire for almost a year, or a rumor from a apple fanboy site thats 'comming soon'. Hmm, using your logic, WM wins!

TheStu

Moderator<br>Mobile Devices & Gadgets
Sep 15, 2004
Originally posted by: uli2000
Originally posted by: TheStu

Lets see...Hulu on WM via skyfire for almost a year, or a rumor from a apple fanboy site thats 'comming soon'. Hmm, using your logic, WM wins!

I never said that the magical, not yet here, Hulu app will be better, I am simply saying that being First isn't enough. Tell me, which is better as a passenger aircraft, the Wright Flyer, or a 747?

boomhower

Diamond Member
Sep 13, 2007
The iphone is a very nice piece of tech but I would take using an inferior app for over a year than waiting for the superior blessed by the God's apple version.

Muadib

Lifer
May 30, 2000
The iphone is a very nice piece of tech but I would take using an inferior app for over a year than waiting for the superior blessed by the God's apple version.

I :laugh: , and I agree with you. I put the Slingplayer app in the same category. It's been almost a year since they demoed it, WTF!

Originally posted by: ViRGE
I'll believe it when I see it. AT&T is so oversubscribed in places that it's not even funny. They've been doing just about everything they can to cap consumer bandwidth usage, particularly with the iPhone.

And unlike the Slingplayer app, everyone will be able to use this right out of the gate. No way will at&t allow this before they get LTE off the ground.

hanoverphist

Diamond Member
Dec 7, 2006
Originally posted by: gorcorps
I came... that's great news. I would pay probably $10 for a decently working hulu app.

i just downloaded skyfire for free and watched hulu on my winmo phone a couple weeks ago...

loup garou

Lifer
Feb 17, 2000
Hope this happens (as well as ABC coming into the hulu fold). I love hulu. Oh, also hope queue/subscription management is in this thing!

gorcorps

aka Brandon
Jul 18, 2004
Originally posted by: hanoverphist
Originally posted by: gorcorps

i just downloaded skyfire for free and watched hulu on my winmo phone a couple weeks ago...

whoopdee do, that doesn't change the fact that I'd pay $10 for it

If it's free that's great, but I won't be torn up if it's not.

boomhower

Diamond Member
Sep 13, 2007
I don't think its the cost its just the time frame. I would gladly pay $10 for a nice app on WM. Skyfire works and its free but its clunky as hell, you get what you pay for.