Huh...wierd...Republicans submitted bills...

blackangst1

Lifer
Feb 23, 2005
I thought this was interesting.

SJ Res 24 submitted by Lindsey Graham and co-sponsored by Jim DeMint, and SJ Res 1 submitted by Larry Craig and co-sponsored by John Thune. There are also 5 House bills submitted, 4 of them by GOP, and one by Dems (H.J.Res.1, H.J.Res.7, H.J.Res.10, H.J.Res.21, H.J.Res.45).

I thought the Dems were going to stop the bleeding? Typical Democratic tactics: say ANYTHING to get elected.

Narmer

Diamond Member
Aug 27, 2006
Originally posted by: blackangst1
Oh and I found this gem: S Con Res 21 submitted by Kent Conrad (Democrat) to raise the debt ceiling ROFL

Funny how you're so concerned about the budget now that Democrats are in charge. Are you a real Republican now? Seems to me like you're more concerned about your party than the state of the budget.

blackangst1

Lifer
Feb 23, 2005
Originally posted by: Narmer
Oh and I found this gem: S Con Res 21 submitted by Kent Conrad (Democrat) to raise the debt ceiling ROFL

Funny how you're so concerned about the budget now that Democrats are in charge. Are you a real Republican now? Seems to me like you're more concerned about your party than the state of the budget.

Search a little. I've stated I dont like how this administration spends money like a drunken sailor on leave in Thailand. Pay attention skippy.

And my point is to point out the hypocrisy of the Democratic party, and how they arent doing SHIT to get us out of this mess. The GOP is.

techs

Lifer
Sep 26, 2000

Yeah, where are the "deficits don't matter" people now?

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001

And my point is to point out the hypocrisy of the Democratic party, and how they arent doing SHIT to get us out of this mess. The GOP is.

No they aren't. The GOP is throwing out a piece of throw away legislation to give themselves a talking point in the upcoming election. It they had any interest in balancing the budget they wouldn't have gone hog wild with irresponsible tax cuts coupled with obscene spending on building their war machine/police state/corporate welfare state. Republicans being hypocrites, what else is new?

blackangst1

Lifer
Feb 23, 2005
Originally posted by: ironwing

No they aren't. The GOP is throwing out a piece of throw away legislation to give themselves a talking point in the upcoming election. It they had any interest in balancing the budget they wouldn't have gone hog wild with irresponsible tax cuts coupled with obscene spending on building their war machine/police state/corporate welfare state. Republicans being hypocrites, what else is new?

lol mmmkay

Arglebargle

Dec 2, 2006

Search a little. I've stated I dont like how this administration spends money like a drunken sailor on leave in Thailand. Pay attention skippy.

And where were all these 'so called' fiscally responsible republicans for the last 7 years? Spending away. Isn't that power so intoxicating? Now, when they can dump the blame on someone else, they are so very worried about the balanced budget.

They may talk the talk, but real life experiance says they just feather their backers pockets instead. If you don't find that hypocritical, I would be interested in hearing why.

And trying to fix problems legislatively during a run up to a presidential election is historically dfifficult. For anyone.

UberNeuman

Lifer
Nov 4, 1999
Ah, the musing of a BAR..... (Born Again Republican) - they're happy as little clams when their party is in charge, and when they lose they start yeaping about SAVING THE PARTY and THE NATION.....

/have some whine with your cheese, op.....

maddogchen

Diamond Member
Feb 17, 2004
Republicans spend spend spend for all their years in power even though they say they are conservatives. republicans are hypocrites

Dems like to spend spend spend. they say they want to stop the bleeding but want to spend a little more this year. democrats are hypocrites

But really...who created this mess? Republicans.

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
A Constitutional requirement for Balanced Budgets is just a plain old Bad Idea. There are times and circumstances when Spending Increases are a must and not an option. If you begin to make Constitutional things that are unreasonable, you'll end up with constant Constitution tinkering in order to just get the Day-to-Day workings of Government accomplished.

Here's a better idea: Stop being Hypocritical, Government loathing, Corrupt, Brainless Politicians. The Voter also needs to begin putting people into Government that Respect and Believe in the Institution of Government.

First

Lifer
Jun 3, 2002

Name a Dem presidential candidate that is running on a reduced spending platform? The answer is zero. They are not the party of small gov't, that's traditionally been Republicans up until about 2001. So your conclusions are, well, odd.

blackangst1

Lifer
Feb 23, 2005
Originally posted by: sandorski
A Constitutional requirement for Balanced Budgets is just a plain old Bad Idea. There are times and circumstances when Spending Increases are a must and not an option. If you begin to make Constitutional things that are unreasonable, you'll end up with constant Constitution tinkering in order to just get the Day-to-Day workings of Government accomplished.

Here's a better idea: Stop being Hypocritical, Government loathing, Corrupt, Brainless Politicians. The Voter also needs to begin putting people into Government that Respect and Believe in the Institution of Government.

I vehemently and wholeheartedly agree. As Ive said before, I wish the public would wake the fuck up.

Both parties are hypocritical in some regard, including fiscally. you have to accept that as a given. Pointing fingers and saying "Yeah but look at you!" is not only childish, but it really doesnt solve anything. Has this administration spent like crazy? Of course. But it's the senate who give them their allowance. It's ALL their faults, not just the administration's.

But as I stated before. The Democrats seem to have NO interest whatsoever in changing it. Sure the GOP MAY be, as ironwing has so elequently put it, "throwing out a piece of throw away legislation", but at least theyre doing SOMETHING. Change has to start somewhere. And fiscally, it isnt in the Democrat's camp.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
Puh-leeze. Repubs had their big chance, and blew it in an orgy of fatcat taxcuts and porked up military spending, along with a few bridges to nowhere.

They'd be the first to squeal like little princesses if the budget were balanced, which will require both spending cuts and tax increases. The places where the budget can be cut are their fave places to spend, and the people who can afford higher taxes are the true Bush constituency...

Current posturing about fiscal responsibility from them is like whores preaching chastity...

LegendKiller

Lifer
Mar 5, 2001
Originally posted by: Jhhnn
Puh-leeze. Repubs had their big chance, and blew it in an orgy of fatcat taxcuts and porked up military spending, along with a few bridges to nowhere.

They'd be the first to squeal like little princesses if the budget were balanced, which will require both spending cuts and tax increases. The places where the budget can be cut are their fave places to spend, and the people who can afford higher taxes are the true Bush constituency...

Current posturing about fiscal responsibility from them is like whores preaching chastity...

I couldn't agree more. Budget hawks are dead and it's sad that the party for the Republic, which was for state rights, small central government, less international involvement, fiscal responsibility, and strong individual rights, was torn asunder by Reaganomics and Neocons.

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000

And my point is to point out the hypocrisy of the Democratic party, and how they arent doing SHIT to get us out of this mess. The GOP is [putting us further into it].

Corrected. Bush's adminsitration has spent like it was a fvcking constintutional amendment for him to spend as much as he possibly could. The democrats will probably lower the deficit a bit (the last one did, remember?) but tax massively to aid in it, which is not a good solution, but it's at least better than the current one which is to ignore the problem.

But it's the senate who give them their allowance. It's ALL their faults, not just the administration's.

I don't find finger pointing always productive, but for most of Bush's term it's been a republican majority congress, so they ARE to blame for most of the disgusting spending of late. That said, since the dems have taken office they've fellated Bush at every opportunity giving him all he asks for and more, so it is indeed a hypocrisy for any democrat to pretend that his party is not substantially complicit in all of this.

WHAMPOM

Diamond Member
Feb 28, 2006
I thought this was interesting.

SJ Res 24 submitted by Lindsey Graham and co-sponsored by Jim DeMint, and SJ Res 1 submitted by Larry Craig and co-sponsored by John Thune. There are also 5 House bills submitted, 4 of them by GOP, and one by Dems (H.J.Res.1, H.J.Res.7, H.J.Res.10, H.J.Res.21, H.J.Res.45).

I thought the Dems were going to stop the bleeding? Typical Democratic tactics: say ANYTHING to get elected.

I think you mistake Republicans blowing smoke out of their ass for a statement of integrity.

Siddhartha

Lifer
Oct 17, 1999
LOL!
After seven years of huge budget deficits, now the Republicans are talking about a Constitutional Balanced budget. This is like the Republicans criticizing the Democratic Congress for not ending GWB's war.

Will the 2008 Republican drum beat be:

"Look the Democrats have been in power for less than 2 YEARS and they have not fix the problems we Republicans have created! Put us back in power so we can STAY THE COURSE!"

I do not think this is going to work. Perhaps the Republicans will have more success with cranking up xenophobia: GAY MARRIAGE, ILLEGAL ALIENS, and MUSLIMS are invading the US. Save yourself and vote Repubilican!

blackangst1

Lifer
Feb 23, 2005
Originally posted by: Evan Lieb

Name a Dem presidential candidate that is running on a reduced spending platform? The answer is zero. They are not the party of small gov't, that's traditionally been Republicans up until about 2001. So your conclusions are, well, odd.

No no you missed lack of explaination. Sure none are now, but they sure did in the 2006 elections. The money GOP spent was a big talking point.

blackangst1

Lifer
Feb 23, 2005
Originally posted by: Skoorb

And my point is to point out the hypocrisy of the Democratic party, and how they arent doing SHIT to get us out of this mess. The GOP is [putting us further into it].

Corrected. Bush's adminsitration has spent like it was a fvcking constintutional amendment for him to spend as much as he possibly could. The democrats will probably lower the deficit a bit (the last one did, remember?) but tax massively to aid in it, which is not a good solution, but it's at least better than the current one which is to ignore the problem.

But it's the senate who give them their allowance. It's ALL their faults, not just the administration's.

I don't find finger pointing always productive, but for most of Bush's term it's been a republican majority congress, so they ARE to blame for most of the disgusting spending of late. That said, since the dems have taken office they've fellated Bush at every opportunity giving him all he asks for and more, so it is indeed a hypocrisy for any democrat to pretend that his party is not substantially complicit in all of this.

Show me one dollar GWB has spent that the Senate didnt say he could spend.

blackangst1

Lifer
Feb 23, 2005
Originally posted by: Siddhartha
LOL!
After seven years of huge budget deficits, now the Republicans are talking about a Constitutional Balanced budget. This is like the Republicans criticizing the Democratic Congress for not ending GWB's war.

Will the 2008 Republican drum beat be:

"Look the Democrats have been in power for less than 2 YEARS and they have not fix the problems we Republicans have created! Put us back in power so we can STAY THE COURSE!"

I do not think this is going to work. Perhaps the Republicans will have more success with cranking up xenophobia: GAY MARRIAGE, ILLEGAL ALIENS, and MUSLIMS are invading the US. Save yourself and vote Repubilican!

lol you dont get federal politics do you.

Nov 30, 2006
Putting all this partisan BS aside...it comes down to whether you believe in fiscal responsibility or not. The Republicans have been a disaster in this area...now we get to see if the Dems really want to do something about it or not.

I'm sick and tired of the rhetoric...the Repubicans showed their "true colors"...now it's time for the Dems to 'put up' or 'shut up'. Unfortunately, I doubt either will happen.

Fern

Elite Member
Sep 30, 2003
Originally posted by: sandorski

^ Yup

Fern

GenHoth

Platinum Member
Jul 5, 2007
Originally posted by: Doc Savage Fan
Putting all this partisan BS aside...it comes down to whether you believe in fiscal responsibility or not. The Republicans have been a disaster in this area...now we get to see if the Dems really want to do something about it or not.

Quite, I don't care which party does it. But some fiscal responsibility would get my vote easily.