huh? Manuel is more Fuel efficient than auto? EDIT: so is it funner? EDIT2: what MPG is consider high?

andylawcc

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
http://applications.edmunds.com/tools/quicksearch//index.html

I tried "37MPG or Better" everything else Any except "Sedan" and year, Max Price and Min Price.
and a bunch of cars showed up,
then I refined with Automatic Transmission, NO CAR showed up,
switch to Manuel, then all of them showed up again.

Is Manuel harder to learn, that's what I've heard...

Edit: So is Manuel Funner to driver?

(I almost typed "Funnier" to driver :) )

EDIT2: for comparison sake, what MPG is the highest? (not including Solar, AC powered hybriads)

szymcom

Apr 25, 2000
Yes, manual transmission cars are more fuel efficient than automatics. I'm not sure why but I think it has to do with the fact that with an automatic, you're always in gear, and with manual you shift into neutral when you're stopped at a light or in traffic.

A manual is harder to learn but it's more fun to drive (or so I heard, I haven't learned manual yet myself :))

Szymon

Sacotool

Platinum Member
Feb 26, 2000
A slush box tends to suck up a bit of horsepower. A 4 cylinder car will usually feel noticeably quicker with a manual vs. an auto. With more powerful cars it doesn't make as much of a difference.

DesignDawg

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Absolutely. This is common knowledge, but everyone has to learn some time. Syzmcom, No, that is not the reason. The reason is because when you are in gear with a manual, you have a direct phsical connection between your engine and your transmission, thus no loss of power. You get all the engine's power at all times.
The way an auto works, is (dumbed down) there is a "propeller" submerged in thick fluid. The engine turns this propeller, moving the fluid, like a prop on a boat moves water. When you accelerate, the propeller spins faster, which moves the fluid faster, which turns the OTHER propeller on the other side of the transmission, like blowing on a pinwheel. THIS propeller thing turns your wheels. Obviously, there's more to it, but that's the general idea. SOUNDS inefficient, doesn't it? Well, it is. However, it also makes for consistent "clutching" and really smoothes out the ride, whereas a clutch is very unforgiving.

Ricky
DesignDawg

Shazam

Golden Member
Dec 15, 1999
Depends if you're a girl... ;)

To add about the auto/manual debate, you also save a couple hundred pounds if you don't have an automatic, which helps as well.

These days however, the MPG difference between the same car with auto/manual is quite small (~2 mpg), as automatic transmissions have become much better in utilizing the full HP of the engine as well as shifting at more appropriate times.

woodie1

Diamond Member
Mar 7, 2000
Some people feel a stick is more fun as you have more control than with an automatic. As you have found the automatic is less fuel efficent. The big question is do you drive where there is a lot of stop and go traffic. A stick is less fun when you are constantly having to stop and go.

Soybomb

Diamond Member
Jun 30, 2000
A couple hundred pounds is way to huge a number for passenger cars! Don't buy a manual (manuel is name hehe) car until you've learned to drive one then you decide. And yes design dog is right, a average auto tranny has about say 25% loss where a stick is about 15% loss due to ineffiency.

Triumph

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
i love stick not only because it has better performance, but because I know how to shift better than any automatic i've ever driven. with a stick, i know i want to be in 4th going up this hill. with an automatic, i have to floor it to get it from 4th to 3rd, but it's hard to keep it there. also, downshifting when going around corners is just great fun... you get to blast out of them feeling the full torque of your engine :) that's if you hit it right.

so my main reason for using sticks is because I know what I want. the auto can only guess at what i want.

DesignDawg

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
IMO, a stick is more fun to drive. --But in many cases, you can't get a manual transmission and all the options you want. --Because in most cars, the manuals are all the stripped econo-versions. (Not all, but many.) If you enjoy driving, a manual will actually make you feel like you are DRIVING, instead of just riding and pointing it where to go. I ride a motorcycle (which is OBVIOUSLY manual) and also have a Camry, which is an automatic. When I get into my car after a few days of driving my bike, I can feel all the power being lost in that transmission. It makes me sick to my stomach. My first 2 cars were manuals, and my next one will be also. This automatic phase is ending soon. (Although I WOULD like to drive one of those CVT's. I think that's a cool concept, and if they really come back for good, and they are reliable (which they have never been), I will buy one. --But I'll always prefer a manual transmission.

Ricky
DesignDawg

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
Pro's for a stick/manual tranny:

1) Better gas milage
2) lower sticker price, somtimes by as much as $1,500
3) far less wear and tear on your brakes/rotors
4) they make a car feel quicker, and do actually drop a 0-60 time by as much as 2 seconds over a car w/ the same engine in an automatic
5) they are better suited for snowy conditions because you can use the engine to slow the car down instead of having to apply the breaks as much as an automatic
6) they have lower costs associated with them - for example if the car is out of warranty and an automatic transmission goes out, you are looking at anywhere from $1200-$3000+ dollars in parts and labor. If your clutch goes out on you, you are looking at probably around $400-$1000
7) you'll have less people asking to drive your car :)

Con's

1) city driving with constant stops and starts tends to be annoying
2) areas with a lot of stop signs or stop lights on hills tend to be tricky at times, especially if somebody is right on your ass
3) you'll get lower resale on your car
4) if you are new at driving a stick, you can wear it out much faster than an automatic

All in all, I most definitely prefer a stick shift.

atom

Diamond Member
Oct 18, 1999
Think long and hard before going the manual route. If you have a car with a manual transmission, stop and go traffic can be excruciating at times. Especially where I live and go to school, where congested freeways are the rule rather than the exception. I've been tempted more than once to say screw it, trade in my car, and get one with an auto.

Of course if you live in an area with little traffic manuals are fun. Gives you something to do while driving. :)

Viper GTS

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
Manual is a hell of a lot more fun. Even in town &amp; stop/go traffic, once you get used to it you do it without even thinking. It's just a natural part of driving. Although you'll probably be tempted to drive it hard, too. My first 155 miles in my Accord I averaged <22 mpg, mostly from driving it so hard.

;)

Viper GTS

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
The volkswagen jettas w/ the diesel engine mounted to a five speed tranny will get 42 city/49 highway gas milage.

That's some of the best that I've seen. Well...at least for a car not in the same category as a geo metro :Q

BCYL

Diamond Member
Jun 7, 2000
andylawcc:

Geo Metro? I think that gets the highest MPG with gasoline cars...

andylawcc

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
well, its light and it looks like this
noooooooo wayyyyyyy.... as budget-minded as i am, looks and comfort is still a concern.

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
Year: 1995
Make: Mercury
Model: Mystique
Trim: LS
Mileage: 51,500 mi.
Class: Midsize - Domestic
Body Style: Sedan
Engine Type: 4 cyl 2.0 L
Transmission: 5-Speed
Asking Price:
$

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Standard Equipment:
4 cyl 2.0 L Engine, 5-Speed Transmission, AM/FM Stereo Tape, Air Dam, Aluminum/Alloy Wheels, Center Console, Dual Air Bag Restraints, Fog Lights, Heated Power Mirrors, Intermittent Wipers, Leather Steering Wheel, Power Antenna, Power Brakes, Power Drivers Seat, Power Steering, Rear Window Defroster, Remote Trunk Release, Tachometer, Tilt Steering Wheel, Velour/Cloth Seats

Prices valid through December 2000 Base Price $6,040

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Optional Equipment
6 cyl 2.5 L $310
Air Conditioning $260
Cruise Control $70
Keyless Entry System $60
Power Door Locks $80
Power Windows $100
Premium Sound System $125

Optional Equipment Subtotal $1,005
Mileage Adjustment $2,265

Total Fair Market Value: $9,310

I'll sell you my mystique for $8500 :)

andylawcc

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
WHAO! Can I Pay-pal you?
ship it via USPS though, no need to insure

errr &quot;For Sale/Trade forum&quot;-disease...

thx anyways, I got no driver license yet...

Zucchini

Banned
Dec 10, 1999
Andy,

I think the new civic does 37mpg using auto. Pretty decent and comfy. There's also a constantly variable transmition model that gets over 40 i think.. pretty neat.