Question Huh, I've never seen a Micro-ATX PSU before

mikeymikec

Lifer
May 19, 2011
I came across a slimline desktop PC recently with a blown PSU. The brand is 'EVO-Labs', the model is 'M-300U'. It's a titchy little thing (12cm by 10cm by 6.5cm height). None of my suppliers sell one, and the only two I've found evidently just slap their name on it as they both have the same model number on. I assumed it was proprietary to begin with because the case has a kettle lead socket mounted at the back on the end of what I presume is an extension lead going to the back of the PSU (which is right at the front of the case).

I'm guessing that the Micro-ATX PSU standard never really caught on?

Last edited:

mindless1

Diamond Member
Aug 11, 2001
I must have had some cases, or sold systems, at some point, that used micro ATX because I know I still have a couple spares that I'd never buy without one of those two reasons. I'm calling them micro-ATX because everyone else did back then, but see below.

The thing is, most DIY builders use a full ATX PSU capable case, and most OEMs decided on their own form factor of a different shape to suit the case layout they wanted.

However, look at how it mounts in the case, the screw pattern/spacing, and where it needs to draw air based on the case design.

Maybe what you are looking for is now called an SFX PSU instead of micro-ATX? That form factor has made great strides towards higher power in recent years. USED to be, so-called micro-ATX12V only came in capacities up to about 300W or so, but modern SFX go much higher than that, 600W+ these days.

Edit: My vague memory was wrong. Even back then, when I bought them in 2003, they were already called SFX. Seems like they were a popular seller for replacing failed PSU in eMachines computers.

Last edited:
Reactions: DAPUNISHER