Hugely disappointed by my Blu-ray player.

Discussion in 'Audio/Video & Home Theater' started by techs, Oct 23, 2009.

1. techs

techs Lifer

wtf? Apparently my new Sony BDP-S360 will not resume playback on Java discs?
    Seriously?
    After going thru the AVS forum for like 2 hours I have concluded they have more neffers than ATOT! People keep jumping in to say it does support resume playback, yet as near as I can determine it only works with non-java hd disks.
    This really sucks for me, since I often can't watch a whole movie at a single sitting (bad back).

Does anyone know they real answer to the question:
    Are there players that support resume on java Bluray discs, either thru a bookmark feature, or otherwise?

Thanks!

2. Loading...

Similar Threads - Hugely disappointed player Forum Date
    looking for a player with ARC port that can play MKV formats Audio/Video & Home Theater Aug 24, 2017
    Recommend me a blu ray player Audio/Video & Home Theater Jul 8, 2017
    TV Size - why the huge gap from 32 to 40" diagonal? Audio/Video & Home Theater Sep 17, 2015
    disappointed at how accurate the touch screen for the moto g Audio/Video & Home Theater Jun 7, 2014
    Would I disappointed with a 720p 42" LCD? Audio/Video & Home Theater Jul 29, 2008

3. kalrith

kalrith Diamond Member

According to Sony:

According to this product page The BDP-S360 supports bookmarking; however, I couldn't find anything on Sony's website about it.

Edit: I found this on avsforum:

However, some BDs don't support bookmarks at all, so just because the green button doesn't bookmark on BD doesn't mean that your BD player doesn't support bookmarking.

Edit2: And just to make you feel better about your BD player, here's an excerpt from a review on the Oppo BDP-83 (a $500 player):

4. techs

techs Lifer

As near as I can tell if you press the Green button on the remote (yes, its labeled green and is green and gives no other indication of what it does) it will bookmark your disc.
    Unfortunatley virtually no discs support this function.

Edit:
    Here's what the manual says of the colored buttons:

Short cut keys for selecting items on
    some BD?s menus (can also be used for
    BD?s Java interactive operations).

See, isn't it fun trying to find this stuff out/
    :D

5. kalrith

kalrith Diamond Member

I think bookmarking would fall under BD's Java interactive operations. I also read that it's referred to as "personal scene selection" on BDs. If you google that in quotes, you'll get some hits on specific movies that have that feature. If you happen to have one or can rent one, then that would give you the opportunity to see if you BD player supports bookmarking.

6. Booty

Booty Senior member

I don't have a BR player, so this may be a dumb question, but...

Don't BR discs have normal chapters just like DVDs? Why not just pick up after the last chapter you watched?

7. techs

techs Lifer

First you need to go past the previews. Then past all the FBI warnings etc. Wait for Menu to load.
    Then you can go to your chapter. However, you can see other chapters at the same time, so you may get spoiled by seeing something that hasn't happened.

And after you do all this, the phone rings.
    And you come back and do it again.

8. Zorba

Zorba Diamond Member

AVSforum is massively annoying to use, isn't it? Have to sift through 10,000 post to find the one that is actually useful

9. sivart

sivart Golden Member

Yes, not being able to resume on Java based discs is a feature of all Blu-ray players. Bookmarking should would on all new players without issue. It works on my 2 year old LG BH200 with no issues. I rarely use the feature, but it does work.

Beyond just chapters, it is nice to mark favorite scenes with an "in" and "out" mark so I can hit the middle of a chapter.

10. kalrith

kalrith Diamond Member

How long of a break do you take? Is it feasible to just pause it and come back to it?

Edit: And your phone should be off while watching a movie. Everyone knows this.

11. techs

techs Lifer

Every so often I see a post like this.
    Are you saying it works on Java based discs? Or only on older discs?

12. sivart

sivart Golden Member

Age of disc really doesn't matter. If it is a non-Java disc, it will resume. I have a few that will...manly older titles, but no hard and fast rule. How to tell if it is Java based...not sure.

A good list of which do and don't is here.
    http://www.blu-raystats.com/Stats/FeatureStats.php

Give it a try if you have a few that don't have BD-Java features.

13. techs

techs Lifer

Thanks for that. I was wondering if there was any list out there.
    btw I looked at the discs case and the one I have, Live Free or Die Hard says it doesn't have BD java, and your list says it doesn't have Java, so I will have to see if the Sony player I have is just not good at resume.
    If so, its return for a Panasonic one.

14. techs

techs Lifer

Today I got BattleStar Galactica, the final 3 epi's on Bluray.
    It is a BD-J disc. It has something on it that explains the colored buttons.

While you still can't press Stop and return to your previous setting, you can press the Green button. This will bookmark where you are on progress indicator on the bottom of the screen. You still can't just say chapter forward back to your bookmark, you have to use a combination of chapter to get near it, then fast forward to find it.
    By bookmarking and putting the player in pause you can relatively easily return to your place.
    However, if you turn it off you lose the bookmarks. It also remembers your bookmarks if you power it off then on. Don't know if it remembers them when you take the disc out and then put it back in.

BTW watching the final three epi's (Daybreak) was absolutely incredible. I watched it originally on my 6 year old Sony RPTV using Comcast HD. And it was pretty awful, full of pixelation. But the Bluray is so clear and bright, it changes the whole complexion of the show. There is incredible detail in each shot. The three epi's could easily have made a hour and 45 minute sci-fi flick, and people would have ooh'ed an ahh'ed in the movie theater.
    There is actually a great deal of color even in the dark and dim shots!