Question Huge Speed test difference between PC and Fire TV on same router

Caminetto

Jul 29, 2001
Various internet speed tests on my PC show I am getting about what my ISP claims 250 Mbps down. But when I run the Analiti speed test on my Fire TV cube it shows about 30 Mbps and the speed test using the Silk Browser on the Cube at speedtest.net shows about the same (both PC and Fire cube are directly connected to the router).
The VPN on the fire cube won't stay connected as a result.
Further, when using wifi on a firestick connected to another TV I am getting about 85 to 90 Mbps and the VPN stays connected.
Does this sound like a router that is going bad or perhaps another issue?

In2Photos

Golden Member
Mar 21, 2007
I just looked up the FireTV cube and it appears that it uses an Ethernet Adapter, is that correct? According to Amazon the Ethernet adapter has a 10/100 port. Perhaps there is something wrong with the adapter or the cable connected to it and it is limiting your speeds? To verify that it isn't the port on the router just switch it with the port for the PC and run the tests again. The fact that your VPN disconnects may point to a cable issue or perhaps the power for the Ethernet adapter is flaky.

Caminetto

Jul 29, 2001
The fact that your VPN disconnects may point to a cable issue or perhaps the power for the Ethernet adapter is flaky.
I suspect a faulty adapter on the Cube and that the other Fire TV device is just old. I will run a cable from the PC port on the router to the Cube adapter to be sure.

Ditch the Ethernet adapter and run on WiFi.
Doing that now.

Thanks for the replies.