Huge fires in Lawrence MA area

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

interchange

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
This is some kind of major equipment failure by the gas provider. The delivery pressure at the home meters/ pressure regulators must be way too high, causing some of the pressure regulators to fail. When that happens more failure occurs in the whole household system.

The random distribution of the fires confirms that-

https://twitter.com/MassStatePolice/status/1040366227678486528/photo/1

Yeah...I am no expert in this kind of thing, but I have enough engineering background to know that this is very much preventable with structural solutions. Maybe I'll be proven wrong, but I can't see this being physically possible without gross negligence somewhere.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
Yeah...I am no expert in this kind of thing, but I have enough engineering background to know that this is very much preventable with structural solutions. Maybe I'll be proven wrong, but I can't see this being physically possible without gross negligence somewhere.

It's really impossible to say at this point. Human error may well have been involved but that doesn't necessarily mean gross negligence. Some sort of equipment failure seems likely. Industry experience & standards render most of the equipment pretty much dummy proof. They've been at this for a very long while & try to engineer in safety at every level. All things considered the industry record is quite good.

Nobody wants this kind of thing & they'll do their best to avoid it.

Feb 4, 2009
The Governor just put Eversource in charge of the repair work. He pretty much said Columbia Gas is incompetent and cannot be trusted.

No link heard it on the radio.

Thump553

Lifer
Jun 2, 2000
The Governor just put Eversource in charge of the repair work. He pretty much said Columbia Gas is incompetent and cannot be trusted.

No link heard it on the radio.

As an Eversource customer I see that that as a pretty damning swipe at Columbia Gas.

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
And the verdict is in

Pay 53m fines, and sell the mass division to another vendor, GTFO of our state.

dawp

Lifer
Jul 2, 2005
And the verdict is in

Pay 53m fines, and sell the mass division to another vendor, GTFO of our state.
surprised they admitted fault, pleading guilty is unusual in corporate malfeasance,

Feb 4, 2009
*****I think I heard the State Prosecutor's were looking at jail time for some board members and executive.
kind of funny how one comes to a quick settlement once jail time is put on the table.

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009
Purely anecdotal, but I have a buddy who works for Puget Sound Energy. They used to just be an electric power company, but they bought the largest gas supplier company several years back. Says gas technology is in the stone age as far a monitoring for problems compared to electric power. Won't have it in his house. I told him he sounded like my grandmother (gas to her was coal gas and she wouldn't have natural gas in the house either).