Huckster's mistep at NRA counts him out of VP race?

Rio Rebel

Administrator Emeritus<br>Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
I would have been surprised if he was picked. But I would hope that this mistake wouldn't cost him the VP. The joke wasn't funny, and wasn't tasteful, but I don't think it was malicious. I was impressed when I heard him defend Obama during the Wright thing, and I think his heart's in the right place.

Rike

Platinum Member
Oct 14, 2004
In this day and age, politicians just shouldn't do off the cuff jokes. The up side of getting them right is small and the down side of a dud is huge. And when you do jokes on the spur of the moment, more than a few are going to fail.

b0mbrman

Lifer
Jun 1, 2001
I think Huck would be a smart enough pick.

*The far right would see is as a concession
*He'd look great in VP debates (sound bites over substance)
*He could appear very congenial while acting as an attack dog

...and no, I don't think anyone will make a big enough deal about his NRA joke to disqualify him

nageov3t

Lifer
Feb 18, 2004
this is what we're in for for the next 6 months, isn't it? anyone who makes a stupid joke or offhand comment gets labeled as a racist?

Rio Rebel

Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: loki8481
this is what we're in for for the next 6 months, isn't it? anyone who makes a stupid joke or offhand comment gets labeled as a racist?

Racist.

;)

nageov3t

Lifer
Feb 18, 2004
Originally posted by: b0mbrman

...and no, I don't think anyone will make a big enough deal about his NRA joke to disqualify him

if the last couple months have been any indication, it's that McCain's going to run toward the center, not the far religious right that Huckabee would help him with.

b0mbrman

Lifer
Jun 1, 2001
Originally posted by: loki8481

if the last couple months have been any indication, it's that McCain's going to run toward the center, not the far religious right that Huckabee would help him with.

Heh heh.

That's the beauty of it ;)

RKDaley

Oct 27, 2007
Originally posted by: Rio Rebel
I would have been surprised if he was picked. But I would hope that this mistake wouldn't cost him the VP. The joke wasn't funny, and wasn't tasteful, but I don't think it was malicious. I was impressed when I heard him defend Obama during the Wright thing, and I think his heart's in the right place.

I agree.

pstylesss

Platinum Member
Mar 21, 2007
I predicted months ago that Huck would be the VP choice to McCain. This NRA joke will go no where. He has already issued a sincere apology. I think he's good/bad joke ratio is marvelous. I'm surprised this is his first slip up and it isn't that bad. If Obama was a 50 year old white man I doubt it would be much of an issue at all.

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
He would be a disaster as a leader, but I saw this video and wished I hadn't bothered. I consider it very meaningless in the grand scheme.
The joke wasn't funny, and wasn't tasteful, but I don't think it was malicious.
I thought it was mildly funny, distasteful, and not malicious :)
Quite possibly. A lot of people support him just because of his ostensible Christianity. I still think he'd be a disaster as a leader, but he may get votes. I think Obama and McCain both need people who can bridge the gap, though, not polarize further.

CADsortaGUY

Lifer
Oct 19, 2001
www.ShawCAD.com

And yet Conservatives(other than the ones looking for a religious leader) have no one so I don't buy your "concession" idea. Your other points work I suppose.

Dec 30, 2004
ya I don't get the big deal, they're trying to turn this into a race thing and it's a party thing about democrats being against gun ownership

Throckmorton

Lifer
Aug 23, 2007
I don't even understand the joke. What's the punchline? Is he saying that Obama is afraid of being shot, or that people would want to shoot him?? WTF?

Nebor

Lifer
Jun 24, 2003
The joke wasn't funny. It was lame. Both in making fun of Obama, and insinuating that NRA members would point guns at other people.

Red Dawn

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2001
Originally posted by: Nebor
The joke wasn't funny. It was lame. Both in making fun of Obama, and insinuating that NRA members would point guns at other people.
Yep, that was more of an insult to NRA members than Obama.

Nebor

Lifer
Jun 24, 2003
Originally posted by: Red Dawn
Originally posted by: Nebor
Yep, that was more of an insult to NRA members than Obama.

That, on top of the fact that John McCain banned guns from the NRA convention left a sour taste in my mouth. It was supposed to be all about guns, and gun rights, then McCain gets put on the speaking schedule, and all of a sudden no more guns.

I think I'm going to have to support Hillary for my gun rights now. :(

pstylesss

Platinum Member
Mar 21, 2007
You know, I tried this joke on a couple people today, except I said it was Hillary with the gun pointed at her, I got laughs and was told he was funny and it was a great joke. I followed it up with a "Just kidding, he said it was Obama"... I got blank stares and people saying oh god what was he thinking.

The double standard is horrible...

It reminds me of when Conan makes fun of his crowd after he insults someone really mean - *angry clapping* followed by disgusted audience.

Rio Rebel

Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: ZeroIQ
You know, I tried this joke on a couple people today, except I said it was Hillary with the gun pointed at her, I got laughs and was told he was funny and it was a great joke. I followed it up with a "Just kidding, he said it was Obama"... I got blank stares and people saying oh god what was he thinking.

It reminds me of when Conan makes fun of his crowd after he insults someone really mean - *angry clapping* followed by disgusted audience.

It would actually be funnier if it was about Hillary, because of her story about Bosnia and sniper fire.

Bowfinger

Lifer
Nov 17, 2002
Huckabee is on Meet the Press this morning, and they played a clip of his "joke". I think he handled it perfectly. He admitted it was a dumb joke, said he wished hadn't said it, and apologized. No excuses, no BS, no blaming anyone but himself. It's not what one expects to see with typical politicians.

daveymark

Lifer
Sep 15, 2003
Originally posted by: CADsortaGUY

And yet Conservatives(other than the ones looking for a religious leader) have no one so I don't buy your "concession" idea. Your other points work I suppose.

bingo - the far left is the only group who sees huck as a viable choice, there was a thread a little while back that asked the question "Who's more liberal, Huck or McCain"

conservatives will sit on their hands come november if huck is chosen.

Lemon law

Lifer
Nov 6, 2005
Even thought Huck has some pretty wacki religious views, he still manages to keep church and State separate. And in terms of the religious right, he is the genuine article as poor ole Romney found out.

I also thought his NRA joke about Obama was tasteless and vulgar, but still not a fatal gaffe. As a dem, maybe I should not troll under GOP bridges, but I think Huckabee may be the best VP choice now available to McCain.
Neither Huckabee or Obama will have much appeal to the radically right conservatives, but that latter group still have three basic choices. (1) Vote the McCain ticket. (2) Sit out the election or vote a third party. (3) Or vote for a more liberal democrat.

After all, the radical right conservatives had a plethora of GOP candidates to vote for in the primaries. Even the GOP electorate gave the radical right conservatives of the GOP the unmistakable thumbs down. And as card carrying members of the GOP, they now have to admit their policies FAILED, and now they have to play second fiddle and support the GOP winner. If they sit and sulk in the corner, they will never get a chance again for a very long time.

NFS4

No Lifer
Oct 9, 1999

Agreed, I actually like the Huckster

pstylesss

Platinum Member
Mar 21, 2007
Originally posted by: ZeroIQ

It would actually be funnier if it was about Hillary, because of her story about Bosnia and sniper fire.

So can someone please explain the double standard?

I mean, Obama claimed bitter Americans cling to guns and religion.... maybe it was a bitter American back there with a gun.

pstylesss

Platinum Member
Mar 21, 2007
Originally posted by: Bowfinger
Huckabee is on Meet the Press this morning, and they played a clip of his "joke". I think he handled it perfectly. He admitted it was a dumb joke, said he wished hadn't said it, and apologized. No excuses, no BS, no blaming anyone but himself. It's not what one expects to see with typical politicians.

The man is genuine and if people wouldn't be so scared of religion and look at how the man lead Arkansas I bet most, if not all would have a different view of him.

And as a Baptist I can almost guarantee that he preached against religion as most Baptists do.

Originally posted by: Lemon law
Even thought Huck has some pretty wacki religious views, he still manages to keep church and State separate. And in terms of the religious right, he is the genuine article as poor ole Romney found out.

I also thought his NRA joke about Obama was tasteless and vulgar, but still not a fatal gaffe. As a dem, maybe I should not troll under GOP bridges, but I think Huckabee may be the best VP choice now available to McCain.
Neither Huckabee or Obama will have much appeal to the radically right conservatives, but that latter group still have three basic choices. (1) Vote the McCain ticket. (2) Sit out the election or vote a third party. (3) Or vote for a more liberal democrat.

After all, the radical right conservatives had a plethora of GOP candidates to vote for in the primaries. Even the GOP electorate gave the radical right conservatives of the GOP the unmistakable thumbs down. And as card carrying members of the GOP, they now have to admit their policies FAILED, and now they have to play second fiddle and support the GOP winner. If they sit and sulk in the corner, they will never get a chance again for a very long time.

WOW! We agree on something

Can you tell me what you would think if you substitute Obama for Hillary?

It's my personal opinion that Huckabee will be viewed as the next Reagan. The conservative wing hated Reagan before he came into office and even some after.