HTPC with bluray optical drive build recommendations?

dpajur

May 26, 2000
Hi folks,

I'm looking to build a new HTPC. Wifey wants Netflix and BluRay disc playback (not ripped isos).

Our old Zotac box is running Openelec and has no possibility of expansion.

Now I'm thinking of: Windows + XBMC + PowerDVD (or similar)

Can anyone recommend a small case, or a mini-PC, that would be suitable for the job and has a blu-ray optical drive (or slot for one) ?

Also, speaking of blurays, I found some mini-ITX cases with a slot open for a slimline slot-loading drive. Is that a good idea? I find it hard to find a drive that would fit. It seems that only panasonic makes them and they're quite expensive!

poofyhairguy

Lifer
Nov 20, 2005
Slot loading drives can often develop problems. I agree, a laptop drive is best, that is what I have in my main HTPC.

Binky

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Considering the cost and annoyances with blu-ray software and the drive itself, you are really better off in most cases just buying a dedicated blu-ray player. You can get low-end models for as low as $40, and 3d models for maybe $60 and up. It's difficult to justify the cost of the software and the constant (non-free, every few years) software upgrades needed to keep it playing new blu-ray discs.

Disclaimer - I own two blu-ray capable machines with two copies of power-dvd.

poofyhairguy

Lifer
Nov 20, 2005
I agree with that too, I NEVER use the drive in my HTPC. I much prefer using the Samsung Blu Ray player I got for cheap.

DesiPower

Lifer
Nov 22, 2008
I totally agree with Binky & poofyhairguy, if you are not going to play ISO or stream brd from your HTPC then dont bother with drive+software cost. get a dedicated player

poofyhairguy

Lifer
Nov 20, 2005
It is just such a mess loading PowerDVD from Kodi via remote. You can do it, but it is hack city.

Plus without that requirement you can just use Linux instead (which is better for Kodi IMHO), and the money you save on a Windows licence can buy a stand alone Blu Ray player.

Charlie98

Diamond Member
Nov 6, 2011
I much prefer using the Samsung Blu Ray player I got for cheap.

+4.

Here's the thing... a BD rip will be pretty sizeable, if you have any quantity of BD's to rip and store, you are going to need some serious HDD space. With the exception of about 10 that I already own (and ripped to HDD) I don't bother with BD's except to rent them and watch them on the stand-alone.

And I'll be the voice of dissent... if you get Windows 7, it comes with Windows Media Center, which, coupled with a snap-in like Media Browser, works very well and is user friendly (the acid test is which that my wife can work it and not bitch about it.) It covers Netflix and similar as well.

Last edited:

dpajur

May 26, 2000
Well, I have a small quiet zotac box that does 3d bluray iso playback just fine, from a 12TB synology NAS.

Wife wanted a bluray, and then she discovered netflix. So we got a sony bluray player which is a bit crap in my opinion, but if there's all these problems with bluray disc playback in HTPCs then I might be better off sticking with it :)

To be honest I've had this box for a couple of years and I wouldn't mind another project, and having yet another remote on the table is just getting on my nerves. Maybe I'll invest the money I was planning to spend in a logitech harmony instead :)

Charlie98

Diamond Member
Nov 6, 2011
Wife wanted a bluray, and then she discovered netflix. So we got a sony bluray player which is a bit crap in my opinion, but if there's all these problems with bluray disc playback in HTPCs then I might be better off sticking with it :)

To be honest I've had this box for a couple of years and I wouldn't mind another project, and having yet another remote on the table is just getting on my nerves. Maybe I'll invest the money I was planning to spend in a logitech harmony instead :)

Yes and no. If you want a project, an HTPC is sort of a fun one because you have to give the components a bit more thought about power usage, heat, and noise... it's not just throw in the biggest stuff you can budget. BD is possible, just a little finicky is all. The stand-alone does serve two purposes... it's easier to just throw a disc in and relax, and if the HTPC ever goes down, you can still spin discs and watch Netflix (et al) while it's being updated.

Having said that, and, depending on what your storage needs will be, go for it! If you will be encoding video, you will want an i3 minimum...

I love my HTPC, I'm not so obsessed with watching new movies... I like watching my old war movies and TV series I have ripped. My wife, on the other hand... is tired of everything loaded on it, and has made her way through pretty much everything instant on Netflix. Unlike me, she hates watching the same movie twice. :p

poofyhairguy

Lifer
Nov 20, 2005
Well, I have a small quiet zotac box that does 3d bluray iso playback just fine, from a 12TB synology NAS.

Sounds like you have a good setup sans Harmony.

olds

Elite Member
Mar 3, 2000
+5. I pit a blu ray player in my pc but it's easier and cheaper to use a stand alone blu ray player.