Ken g6

Programming Moderator, Elite Member
Dec 11, 1999
I have an HTPC I put together awhile back. It has an i3-6100 on an ASUS H110S2/CSM motherboard. When I plug its HDMI out into my ASUS monitor, it works.

I also have a Vizio E321VL 32 720p 60Hz LCD HDTV. When I plug in a Blu-Ray player or ATSC tuner to its HDMI ports, it works too. (Except the play/pause buttons on the remote never worked. It's a refurb TV. Maybe that's a problem?)

When I plug the HTPC into the TV, using an HDMI cable I'd used on the TV before, I get No Signal. The computer runs - I can SSH into it - but the video output doesn't appear. I tried removing the OS drive so it would just go to the BIOS and it still doesn't appear.

Suggestions?

OlyAR15

Oct 23, 2014
what resolution are you sending to the tv? From doing some searches, it seems the native resolution is 1366x768, but it doesn't accept that as an input? Maybe you have to force the computer to output one of the supported resolutions like 1920x1080 or 1024x768.

Ken g6

Programming Moderator, Elite Member
Dec 11, 1999
Xrandr shows all the HDMI ports are disconnected. (Despite the cable being there.) So I don't think I can set a resolution. And besides even the bios didn't appear on the tv.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
Try different cable/hdmi port?

Play with power up sequence as well. HDCP is finicky.

razel

Platinum Member
May 14, 2002
Interesting. Manual states maximum input for HDMI is 1080p, but for the specifications the TV itself lists 1366x768. Perhaps try forcing that as an output. It also has a regular RGB, which I assume is VGA. It also doesn't say anything about HDCP, so I also assume there is no such support.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
Interesting. Manual states maximum input for HDMI is 1080p, but for the specifications the TV itself lists 1366x768. Perhaps try forcing that as an output. It also has a regular RGB, which I assume is VGA. It also doesn't say anything about HDCP, so I also assume there is no such support.

Hdmi comes with hdcp

Mike64

Platinum Member
Apr 22, 2011
I was also going to ask if you'd tried the other HDMI port and/or another cable. Almost as an aside, I googled up the manual and couldn't help but notice that unless I missed a passing reference somewhere - whether it's just "style", coincidence, or some sort of bizarre technical issue - the manual itself makes no mention (at all) of connecting a PC to the set via HDMI, just via its VGA port...

And this is a total grasp at what might be a non-existent straw, since I know virtually nothing about the technical details of HDMI signals and HDCP, but is it by any wild chance possible that the TV is capable of displaying video via HDMI only when HDCP handshaking is also occurring, which I assume doesn't happen when the computer is just sending "its own" video signal rather than, say, outputting video from an HDCP-enabled video player?

Also, I frankly have no idea what much of their information involves or implies, but there are couple of charts of display-related specs with respect to using a PC with the set connected via the VGA port, starting on page 50, if they could be of any conceivable relevance, and if you haven't already RTFM...

Last edited:

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
I was also going to ask if you'd tried the other HDMI port and/or another cable. Almost as an aside, I googled up the manual and couldn't help but notice that unless I missed a passing reference somewhere - whether it's just "style", coincidence, or some sort of bizarre technical issue - the manual itself makes no mention (at all) of connecting a PC to the set via HDMI, just via its VGA port...

And this is a total grasp at what might be a non-existent straw, since I know virtually nothing about the technical details of HDMI signals and HDCP, but is it by any wild chance possible that the TV is capable of displaying video via HDMI only when HDCP handshaking is also occurring, which I assume doesn't happen when the computer is just sending "its own" video signal rather than, say, outputting video from an HDCP-enabled video player?

Also, I frankly have no idea what the data involves or implies, but there are couple of charts of display-related data with respect to using a PC with the set connected via the VGA port, starting on page 50, if they could be of any conceivable relevance, and if you haven't already RTFM...

Any video card with hdmi port has hdcp. Handshaking however, is plug and pray.

Ichinisan

Lifer
Oct 9, 2002
Some Vizio TVs are strange. I've had a report from someone with 2 Vizio TVs that one of my UltraHDMI N64 systems wouldn't work on either TV, but his neighbor had another Vizio and it works fine on that one. The same N64 works fine on everything else we have tried (Sony, Hannspree, Dell, Elgato Game Calture HD, etc.).