HTPC to Denon AVR-391 Receiver via HDMI - no audio output

Boze

Dec 20, 2004
I built an HTPC recently running Windows 7 SP1 x64. The video card for the rig is an EVGA GTX 660. I'm running an HDMI cable from the GTX 660 into a Denon AVR-391 surround sound receiver. From there, the receiver outputs to a 47" LCD TV.

All drivers and Windows Updates are current.

The problem is, I have video, but no audio at all. It doesn't matter if I try to play .wav, .flac, .mkv videos with DTS / DD 5.1, I get no audio at all.

Windows shows that the NVIDIA High Definition Audio device is the default playback device.

Strangely enough, if I attempt a direct connection to one of the television's HDMI ports, I have sound.

Seems like there has to be a software / driver / codec problem somewhere, but I don't know what it could be.

bradly1101

Diamond Member
May 5, 2013
www.bradlygsmith.org
I'm sure you checked all the receiver settings. My HTPC (Nvidia GT630) is not compatible with my Pioneer receiver (video or audio), so I just directly connected the video to the TV, and have audio through optical out on the motherboard. From what I've read around the 'net receivers can be very finicky in this area.

Boze

Dec 20, 2004
I'm sure you checked all the receiver settings. My HTPC (Nvidia GT630) is not compatible with my Pioneer receiver (video or audio), so I just directly connected the video to the TV, and have audio through optical out on the motherboard. From what I've read around the 'net receivers can be very finicky in this area.

Yeah, as it turn out I'm a moron...

I recently moved (2 days ago), and as it turns out, my receiver lost all the customized settings I had... I just went back through and reconfigured everything, works like a charm.

Thanks B. Rad.