htpc slow internet packet loss but cables good...

country2

May 1, 2001
Noticed the other day my htpc that has the Asus P5N7A-VM motherboard with W7 32 bit and wired into my trendnet TEG-s80g switch and from there to a netgear 3500 is slow as a geo metro and will have between 25% to 50 % packet loss. Cables and all is good as I can hook another computer using same cables and same connections and all is good and fast.

So I deleted and updated the drivers for the lan but did not help.Per the trendnet lights and the connection speed it is connecting at giganet speeds. Figure either the built in lan port is having issues or something wrong with the OS. Any other things to try that you know of? Thanks

imagoon

Diamond Member
Feb 19, 2003
Did you try other cables on the HTPC? If the cables are marginal (esp if self crimped) certain hardware may perform better than others.

spidey07

No Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
Cables and make sure the NICs and switchports are set to autonegotiate speed/duplex which is the default.

country2

May 1, 2001
As stated I hooked up another computer using same cables and connections and all on it was good so that pretty much takes the cables and connectors out of it and will have to be on the computer side. I'll try the auto negotiate and see what happens..thanks

Now I just remember about 4 months ago we had a lightening strike and it took out a port on the giga switch and had it replaced along with some dsl filters ..wondering if maybe that damaged the lan port..but cannot remember what was plugged into the switch port that got zapped and this htpc rarely goes on the internet so it could be a issue trom that.

well everything is set to auto negotiate. Going to find my linux live cd and see if linux also has a slow internet, if it does looks like its going to be the lan on the mb as it may of gotten damaged from the lighting stike a while back if so I'll just go wireless on it.

Last edited:

imagoon

Diamond Member
Feb 19, 2003
As stated I hooked up another computer using same cables and connections and all on it was good so that pretty much takes the cables and connectors out of it and will have to be on the computer side. I'll try the auto negotiate and see what happens..thanks

You didn't read my post then. Just because a cable works for one computer, does not mean it will work with another. If it is marginal. I asked if you tested using different cables on the HTPC, not about another computer.

99% of issue like this is cable / infrastructure. The other 1% is bad nics / drivers / switches.

country2

May 1, 2001
You didn't read my post then. Just because a cable works for one computer, does not mean it will work with another. If it is marginal. I asked if you tested using different cables on the HTPC, not about another computer.

99% of issue like this is cable / infrastructure. The other 1% is bad nics / drivers / switches.

Ok sorry...I replaced cables and still no improvement. Just ran a linux live cd and it has same symptoms looking moe like on board lan is bad.

Last edited:

imagoon

Diamond Member
Feb 19, 2003
Ok sorry...I replaced cables and still no improvement. Just ran a linux live cd and it has same symptoms looking moe like on board lan is bad.

Now I would be more inclined to agree. Have you tested on another switch or is this not the switch that took the lightning strike?

Back in a previous life, I used to deal with odd issues like this a lot because my boss was all about the cheapest solution (not cheap good, cheap as in cheap parts / ignoring stuff that made life easier like... lightning attestors...) We used to replace switches at least quarterly because the cheap price didn't include smart things like proper grounding and lightning attestors while running cat5 etc though pipes in the ground. I tended to find that any gear that was "thought to be struck" was easier to just replace.

*edit: Thinking about this.... maybe that is why I am such a "cable nazi" now.

Last edited:

country2

May 1, 2001
Now I would be more inclined to agree. Have you tested on another switch or is this not the switch that took the lightning strike?

Back in a previous life, I used to deal with odd issues like this a lot because my boss was all about the cheapest solution (not cheap good, cheap as in cheap parts / ignoring stuff that made life easier like... lightning attestors...) We used to replace switches at least quarterly because the cheap price didn't include smart things like proper grounding and lightning attestors while running cat5 etc though pipes in the ground. I tended to find that any gear that was "thought to be struck" was easier to just replace.

*edit: Thinking about this.... maybe that is why I am such a "cable nazi" now.

switch is a new one.

Cr0nJ0b

Golden Member
Apr 13, 2004
meettomy.site
I would play around with your MTU settings on the client device. If you are trying to run jumbo frames, make sure your switch can run jumbo frames. Try to boot from a linux live CD and test with that to see if it's OS related. I use a little program called NETIO to do basic network throughput testing. You would be able to find some other test apps out there to validate the packet loss etc. If you are just pinging and getting lots of loss, then I would try to isolate the HTPC to see if there is ANY environment that it gets good throughput in. If all else fails swap the NIC or put one in (if it's integrated). You could also try moving the IRQs around for an integrated NIC...but I think that's just arranging deck chairs really....I'm not sure that IRQs work like they used to. I used to do that in the ISA days when IRQs were interrupting each other.