HTPC Planning

olds

Elite Member
Mar 3, 2000
For years, I've had a gaming PC hooked to my TV but also used it for streaming Netflix, emails, MS Office and Photoshop.

Currently I sit 11' away and I don't plan on getting any closer.

But, as I get older, my eyes aren't what they used to be. It's hard to see some docs without making them too big to easily work with. I plan to set my current PC up in another room with dual monitors and put something else in its place.

It will need to be able to stream 4K for the future but right now I only watch in 1920X1080. I have a 660Ti card I can use, is this OK for now?
CPU?
RAM?

Another requirement I have is it or something needs to stream videos to other TVs using either Chromecast or a Firestick. I have both. Should I add a NAS for this or can/should the PC act as a NAS?

Budget around $1K.

TIA

Kartajan

Golden Member
Feb 26, 2001
Based on my perception of what you want, I have this recommendation:
(1) NVIdia Shield: About $200
(1) USB 3 External HDD: up to $200 depending on the details..

- Run the "Plex Server" that comes with the NVidia Shield as your distribution method
- The Shield would be on the TV you previously had your HTPC
- I am assuming all your PC tasks would now be in your new dual screen PC location

You can then play your media to anything with a Plex client....https://www.plex.tv/

Kartajan

Golden Member
Feb 26, 2001
Alternative:
WD PR2100 4TB: $600 ish for NAS and Plex Server duties
NVidia Shield: $200 for your new TV client device

Reactions: poofyhairguy

SMOGZINN

Lifer
Jun 17, 2005
As others have said an NVidia Shield along with a good external hard drive will work for basic HTPC functions.
To answer your questions directly though:

I have a 660Ti card I can use, is this OK for now?

Yes. It will run Kodi with any skin you want and display 1080p video just fine. It is actually overkill for basic HTPC functions.

Just about anything. I run a Pentium G620 in mine and even manage to do some light gaming on it. The only think that CPU dependent in a HTPC is video transcoding for streaming (using Plex).

My personal experience is that 4 gig is sufficient but 6 - 8 actually work better. If you are like me you will keep finding more and more that you want your HTPC to do, and the extra RAM gives you more room to work.

But, as I get older, my eyes aren't what they used to be. It's hard to see some docs without making them too big to easily work with. I plan to set my current PC up in another room with dual monitors and put something else in its place.

Here is something you might want to consider. Your Gaming PC will work just fine as a HTPC and most games are now built to work on a big screen and be played with controllers. If it is productivity and web pages you are having problems with you might be better off getting something like a cheap chrome book to do all your productivity on and keep your HTPC as is.

Last edited:

olds

Elite Member
Mar 3, 2000
Hmm. hadn't seen the shield before and something like a chromebook could work.
Thanks for the input.