(HTPC) Picture quality on regular TV?

Denithor

Diamond Member
Apr 11, 2004
A friend has asked me to build him a gaming/HTPC for use on his non-HD TV. I have been reviewing options and think the Hauppauge PVR-150 would probably be the best option for TV viewing/capture, but I don't know if this is even worth setting up on a standard TV. How will the picture quality be, both for TV viewing & for gaming? (Note: he likes Flight Sim 2004, picture quality is obviously a top priority.)

Also, what is the best way to connect the HTPC to a standard TV? S-video, composite, or some kind of VGA-converter cable?

Any suggestions welcome!

YOyoYOhowsDAjello

Moderator<br>A/V & Home Theater<br>Elite member
Aug 6, 2001
TV output will look just fine for games and video on a tv. Text will not be so great.

The least you're going to want to use is an s-video connection. Composite looks really sh!tty usually. If you want to use a converter cable, there are some that will output component for ATI cards if you want to, but it's not worth it imo for a SD-tv.

SKORPI0

Lifer
Jan 18, 2000
The only available output from your video card to a non-HD T.V. would be the S-video. TV viewing & watching DVD would be fine. Playing games will be limited to maximum 800X600 resolution, IIRC.

Denithor

Diamond Member
Apr 11, 2004
So from an ATI 9800 Pro, for example, I could just use the s-video out to link to the tv? What kind of input does the tv need to have to accept the signal correctly? Also, is this a standard cable or do I need a converter of some kind?

Sorry for the basic nature of my questions but I am a n00b in this realm.

Thanks!
Matt

Matthias99

Diamond Member
Oct 7, 2003
Originally posted by: mptimmons
So from an ATI 9800 Pro, for example, I could just use the s-video out to link to the tv?

Sure. You can also get an S-Video->composite converter.

What kind of input does the tv need to have to accept the signal correctly?

Um, S-Video (or composite if you use the converter, but S-Video is better). Is this a trick question?

Also, is this a standard cable or do I need a converter of some kind?

A regular S-Video cable should work. For VIVO cards (like the AIW models) you may need a breakout cable, but that should have been included with the card.