Htpc/Openelec/Graphics question

phillyman36

Golden Member
Jun 28, 2004
Been playing with Openelec on old pc parts. Don't like the video quality using onboard graphics. Heard its better to use a Nvidia gpu so just wondering what cards do people suggest(card series range)? I'm not running windows and won't be playing video games. Would this be ok?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...f_rd_i=desktop

Im guessing there would not be a difference in getting something like the gt 610 vs a 750 right?

celeron 1850
Z87 deluze
8 gigs ram

Binky

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
I never suggest any of the Nvidia x10 or x20 parts. They are just too slow. I'd be surprised if they were better than your onboard video. What is wrong with the onboard video?

Per this site, the 610 is almost exactly the same in performance as the HD graphics.
http://www.futuremark.com/hardware/gpu/NVIDIA+GeForce+GT+610/review

If you want to stay Nvidia, look for something at least in the x30 range. You can mostly ignore the first digit down to at least the 4xx series, since even the 430 performs very well for basic HTPC use.

Nvidia and AMD are very similar for HTPC use. The only real difference I notice is in certain driver settings, like overscan. Realistically, there is no perceivable difference between cards of similar performance and quality levels.

Last edited:

phillyman36

Golden Member
Jun 28, 2004
Sometimes(not all the time) I see a little bit of noise on certain episodes of the Strain tv series(blu ray iso). I brought a long hdmi cable and tried the same episode with Kodi installed om my main pc and don't see the noise in the same spots.

poofyhairguy

Lifer
Nov 20, 2005
I never suggest any of the Nvidia x10 or x20 parts. They are just too slow. I'd be surprised if they were better than your onboard video. What is wrong with the onboard video?

Per this site, the 610 is almost exactly the same in performance as the HD graphics.
http://www.futuremark.com/hardware/gpu/NVIDIA+GeForce+GT+610/review

If you want to stay Nvidia, look for something at least in the x30 range. You can mostly ignore the first digit down to at least the 4xx series, since even the 430 performs very well for basic HTPC use.

Nvidia and AMD are very similar for HTPC use. The only real difference I notice is in certain driver settings, like overscan. Realistically, there is no perceivable difference between cards of similar performance and quality levels.

You are correct about the 430. That is a great HTC card. The 730 is the best ever.

You are wrong about AMD and Nvidia though. In Linux AMD should simply not be used.

poofyhairguy

Lifer
Nov 20, 2005
Sometimes(not all the time) I see a little bit of noise on certain episodes of the Strain tv series(blu ray iso). I brought a long hdmi cable and tried the same episode with Kodi installed om my main pc and don't see the noise in the same spots.
The best GPU for Linux HTPC use if you really care about image quality is Nvidia.

poofyhairguy

Lifer
Nov 20, 2005
Last edited: