HTPC: NUC or Gaming/Home Office PC

Dave3000

Golden Member
Jan 10, 2011
I right now own a gaming PC that I also do my office work on connected to my monitor and I also own a 6th Gen i3 NUC which is being used as a HTPC, connected to my TV. I was considering switching the roles for these systems, making my NUC a home office PC can connecting it to my monitor, and making my gaming PC a HTPC/gaming PC and connecting it to my TV. It's just that I end up having 2 systems turned on, my gaming PC and my NUC, when streaming my mkv files locally to my NUC. My gaming PC and NUC are in the same room in my house. Does switching the roles of these 2 systems make sense or should I keep it as it is?

Dave3000

Golden Member
Jan 10, 2011
Also my gaming/home office PC configuration is:

i7-4930k (stock settings)
32GB DDR3-1600
Nvidia GTX 780Ti (Will be upgrading to at least a GTX 1080 soon)
512GB SSD
6TB HDD
Blu-ray burner
Windows 10 Professional

Kartajan

Golden Member
Feb 26, 2001
It depends on what you mean by office work... If you are referring to email/ MS Word type tasks, then either system is acceptable for those tasks- thus the more "gamefish" system goes where you game.
Of course there is always the aesthetics question- can either system look good in the TV room?

Dave3000

Golden Member
Jan 10, 2011
My gaming pc will stay where it is, no matter what I decide to do with these computers, as it's too wide to place next to my dresser cabinet where my TV is sitting on since the side wall is about 7 inches from the cabinet and my bed is about the same distance from the cabinet's other side. My gaming PC is also right next to my computer desk and almost 2ft in front of my dresser cabinet so I have enough space to open the drawers in my cabinet. This is all in my bedroom. So my gaming PC will still be right next to my desk and in front of my dresser cabinet even if I decide to connect my gaming PC to my TV since it's still within reach with a 6ft HDMI cable.