HTPC & NAS All In One Build Help!

Stokes

Apr 20, 2005
I've been running my current HTPC build for the past 3 or so years using a Ceton infinitv 4 internal tuner. I also have a Netgear ReadyNas NV+ which I have been storing movies I've recorded and all copies of some of my blurays. My netgear is pretty slow on writes and I've been having issues with it and think its time for a change.

I started reading about FreeNas and really like the hardware suggestions they have about going with server level hardware. I want to apply their same safeguards when it comes to my HTPC in regards to going to that enterprise level of integrity when it comes to running a computer 24/7.

Being that said. I am wondering how I can combine my efforts instead of building an expensive NAS and a separate HTPC. Hardware wise I think I know what I want for my HTPC, but I am struggling with how to handle the raid portion of my system. I have an SSD for the OS, and plan on having (6) 4 TB WD Red drives. I would like to see if I can get something like Raid6 as I want the ability to sustain a double failure.

It seems like Windows is limiting me to Raid5 in most cases.

How can I make this work?

Trey22

Diamond Member
Oct 31, 2003
If you setup your disks using ZFS in FreeNAS, there is a RAIDZ2 option (kind of like RAID6) but since it's software based, doesn't require a hardware RAID card.

If your mobo doesn't have enough SATA ports, you can use a controller card (like the M1015 flashed to IT Mode).

LurchFrinky

Nov 12, 2003
If you setup your disks using ZFS in FreeNAS, there is a RAIDZ2 option (kind of like RAID6) but since it's software based, doesn't require a hardware RAID card.
+1

Since you seem to be running the HTPC side in Windows, you will need to set up a VM for FreeNAS.
If you are not comfortable with VMs, or were just hoping to keep the NAS in Windows, then you will probably need to add the RAID card.

Rio Rebel

Administrator Emeritus<br>Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
I tried a similar effort using a full size Silverstone HTPC case with room for enough drives for a NAS, but I eventually separated the functions onto two computers. I always felt limited in what I wanted to do with one or the other.

You don't need a killer processor in your NAS, but if you use RAIDZ with 6 drives, you will need plenty of memory for good performance.

I actually got tired of screwing up my "infrastructure" all the time, so I bought a Zyxel NSA320 for my media, and I'm building a linux-based fileserver for fun.