HTPC Favorites

WildW

Oct 3, 2008
evilpicard.com
Upgraded the PC I use to play movies on the TV and started to play a few games with a 360 controller. Unfortunately I'm far too used to mouse/keyboard for the type of games I usually play - fps/strategy/etc

Been playing the freebie Trackmania Nations and that works well with a controller, but I'm struggling to think of much else. I tried playing Left4Dead with the controller, and it was sort of okay, but it just frustrates me not to be using a mouse. Have some old emulators I fire up from time to time already.

So, any suggestions for games that work well with a controller? i.e. well enough that you wouldn't rather be using a mouse? Prefer stuff with a demo I can try out. PC spec is Athlon 64 X2 2.3GHz, 2GB DDRII-800, Radeon 4670. Since I only need 1280x720 the spec isn't too terrible.

fatpat268

Diamond Member
Jan 14, 2006
What type of games do you like?

If you're into racing games, you could get GRID, DIRT, Need for Speed series, etc.

WildW

Oct 3, 2008
evilpicard.com
I will generally play any old thing. . . it's just I'm normally a FPS/strategy player, which are mostly hopeless on a controller. If there are any that work well with a controller, that'd be neat.

Other than that, free stuff I guess is good. Basically, any games that work well are things I wouldn't normally play :p I know, vague city.

Modular

Diamond Member
Jul 1, 2005
Assassin's Creed is best played with a controller. So are all the other games in it's genre; the Prince of Persia series and so on. I'd imagine that the Splinter Cell games are best played on controller as well, but that's speculation as I've never played them myself, just watched someone play.

Other than that, if you don't have a wheel/pedal setup, then pretty much every racing game is going to be best on a controller. The same can be said for any flight games, they suck on a Mouse/KB combo, so if you don't have a flight yoke setup, then controller is the way to go.

Elcs

Diamond Member
Apr 27, 2002
Buy a wireless keyboard/mouse combo or use usb cable extensions?

My sarcastic opening line aside, if a controller is the only way to go.... games like Need For Speed, GRID (very very good) are probably best or Football games such as FIFA 09 or PES 2009 would be good too. H.A.W.X. is the only other game I use my cordless PS2 style controller with. Take a peek at the console forums and look for games which are cross-platform, they can provide some inspiration.