HTPC & Colors / Pixel Format / Black levels

destrekor

Lifer
Nov 18, 2005
I've got an ATI 7750 in my HTPC, connected by HDMI to to a receiver, which then outputs to my Panasonic P50ST60 plasma over HDMI.

Right now there is black crush and it appears over-saturated.

Is there a combination of settings I need to enable? I've tried different combinations of Pixel Formats: Limited and Full RGB, and 4:4:4 and 4:4:2, as well as under Video set 0-255 or 16-235. I also toggled a similar setting on the Plasma itself.
I've tried an added debug registry key for Windows Media Center to try and force compatibility - but I've yet to find the right combo of settings that brings the colors under control.

hawtdawg

Golden Member
Jun 4, 2005
using MPC-HC/MadVR I have the PC at 4:4:4 (full rgb), MadVR at 0-255 and the TV at 0-255 (listed as non-standard on my ST30). The TV will convert internally back to 16-235, but from everything I've read, it's better to have the TV do it than the GPU. I get no black crush while getting the deepest blacks out of my TV, and everything looks great.

Last edited:

cheez

Golden Member
Nov 19, 2010
I've got an ATI 7750 in my HTPC, connected by HDMI to to a receiver, which then outputs to my Panasonic P50ST60 plasma over HDMI.

Right now there is black crush and it appears over-saturated.

Is there a combination of settings I need to enable? I've tried different combinations of Pixel Formats: Limited and Full RGB, and 4:4:4 and 4:4:2, as well as under Video set 0-255 or 16-235. I also toggled a similar setting on the Plasma itself.
I've tried an added debug registry key for Windows Media Center to try and force compatibility - but I've yet to find the right combo of settings that brings the colors under control.
Direct connection bebe. If you TV has DVI port, use that. Connect directly from PC to TV for best VQ.

cheez

hawtdawg

Golden Member
Jun 4, 2005
Direct connection bebe. If you TV has DVI port, use that. Connect directly from PC to TV for best VQ.

cheez

You forgot to tell him that he needs a $300,000, 6in thick DVI cable to connect from the cheap connector on his video card, to the cheap connector on the back of his TV.

Last edited:

cheez

Golden Member
Nov 19, 2010
You forgot to tell him that he needs a $300,000, 6in thick DVI cable to connect from the cheap connector on his video card, to the cheap connector on the back of his TV.
There isn't one. You don't need to spend $300,000 on a DVI cable as there is no need for it. As long as the shielding is good and the conductors are in good working order you are pretty much set for the digital video cable. You must be new, hotdog. Btw, you are trolling.

cheez

hawtdawg

Golden Member
Jun 4, 2005
There isn't one. You don't need to spend $300,000 on a DVI cable as there is no need for it. As long as the shielding is good and the conductors are in good working order you are pretty much set for the digital video cable. You must be new, hotdog. Btw, you are trolling.

cheez

Trolls trolling trolls

cheez

Golden Member
Nov 19, 2010
Trolls trolling trolls
I came here to post my honest thoughts about the topic in hand. You came in here to "stir up" trolling about expensive cables that have nothing to do with the topic. This obviously shows who the troll is, you, hotdog.

Please use the internet wisely and refrain yourself from trolling / spamming forums. Anandtech is a very high quality forum. Keep the standards up.

thanks,

cheez

hans030390

Diamond Member
Feb 3, 2005
There are multiple settings on my S64 plasma that deal with colors, gamut, pixel format, etc. I don't seem to have most of those options with my 6600K like I've seen with dedicated AMD GPUs (are my drivers or CCC messed up?), so I've had to set it up all in the TV.

I know there's one setting for blacks on my TV where you have to put it at "light" or else it crushes blacks. Then there's settings for something like photo, movie, etc. modes, which I either set to auto or off. Then you have the dedicated gamma setting. Normal vs. Native colors (native can be over saturated).

It's really weird how the picture settings work together on these plasmas, though I'm not sure how similar yours would be to mine (ST60 vs S64). I would focus on messing with all the picture settings on the TV itself.

destrekor

Lifer
Nov 18, 2005
There are multiple settings on my S64 plasma that deal with colors, gamut, pixel format, etc. I don't seem to have most of those options with my 6600K like I've seen with dedicated AMD GPUs (are my drivers or CCC messed up?), so I've had to set it up all in the TV.

I know there's one setting for blacks on my TV where you have to put it at "light" or else it crushes blacks. Then there's settings for something like photo, movie, etc. modes, which I either set to auto or off. Then you have the dedicated gamma setting. Normal vs. Native colors (native can be over saturated).

It's really weird how the picture settings work together on these plasmas, though I'm not sure how similar yours would be to mine (ST60 vs S64). I would focus on messing with all the picture settings on the TV itself.

I tend to forget to update these threads I create. My bad.

Your fix might very well be my fix: completely uninstall all AMD GPU drivers (you have an APU, correct? No idea if you would have to uninstall all AMD or just GPU only stuff), and I downloaded the latest beta release I think, but I think any version should be fine.

I got this from Nvidia diagnostic methods, but after uninstall, reboot first. Then, install latest version, or even the same version again, and then reboot once more.
Might even go as far as to use a driver cleaner in safemode, but you might not have to - this time, I did not have to.

After that, I was able to set the color output to 4:2:2 I think. I set the TV to "non-standard" for HDMI Color Range (or whatever that setting is) on the only HDMI input I am using.
That also helps because it works well to set the PS3 to Full Range with Super White and Deep Color (I believe I have those settings on the optimal configuration for this display's capability... could be wrong).

I'd recommend NOT making corrections at the TV level if you have bad colors, visible gradients, and black crush. You really won't be able to correct fully anyhow, and it'll make other input sources display incorrectly.
Ideally, the only two settings you need to make sure mesh up is setting the TV to either Non-standard or Standard (Limited Range? 16-235? Can't remember what they call it, but it represents the difference between using 16-235 and the full RGB 0-255 range).

Also, be careful not to really play around with adjustment sliders for desktop and/or video in Control Panel. Once you dial in the correct setting for Pixel Format on both ends, you should be getting the raw intended colors when using MCE or other media center software. I think you CAN make changes to the desktop colors, if you wish, without impacting how media in your media center application of choice displays. At that point, if things look off, that at least should be equal to what you see from other sources, and thus represent changes you need to make to the TV.