HTPC build ideas

rizaydog

Nov 25, 2012
I am a complete newbe to HTPC. I have never seen one or built one. I am however, good at building PC's and have been reading a lot about building HTPC.

Here is what I would like my HTPC to do:
1. Record live tv like a dvr for playback later.
2. Stream online videos from places like netflix, hulu, and youtube
3. Play DVD directly from PC as well as stored videos.
4. I would like to take my large collection of dvds and download them onto my pc.
5. In some fasion, I would like to be able to create playlists, search by name or genre when searching for a movie to watch from my dvd colection. If Im in the mode for a comedy, I would like to view a list of all my downloaded dvd movies that are comedies.
6. I would like one HTPC that can be accessed from any tv, pc, or other portable wireless device within my house. I believe this is similar to a "NAS".
7. Play audio tracks and picture slideshows anywhere in my home.
8. Share documents wirelessly with all pc's in the house.

My thought was to build a pc specificly for this purpose. Maybe place it in my den. Add a tv tuner, (2) 2 tb hard drives, dvd drive, and a roku box for each tv in the house.

Questions???
A. Am I missing anything?
B. The roku has a specific channel built in for home pc's correct? On this channel, I would be able to navigate through my HTPC to find the media using the roku remote?
C. Any sugestions on specific hardware and software for this build including which roku you would recommend?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.