HTPC Build Help

btadler

Jul 30, 2009
Greetings,

This will be my first HTPC build. I have built several other gaming PC's but I need help with parts for this HTPC. I am looking for something that will allow me to steam video (Netflix, Hulu, HBOGO, etc.) watch and record TV (not paid cable) rip BluRay or DVD movies to storage so that I can free up a bunch of shelves of movie cases and have the ability to play emulator games. I have a very open budget since I do not know what a HTPC with these capabilities cost lets just say $1000 including OS, remote etc. More is okay and less is always good. Thanks for your help.

Sep 12, 2004
The best way to start out is to decide on form factor and basic requirements. Do you want ATX, mATX, or ITX? Is there a specific space you plan on putting it? Are you looking for an extremely quiet system or is some noise not an issue? Do you already have a PC or NAS setup for storage or does the HTPC also need to double as the storage device? Are the TV programs you want to watch and record OTA?

Charlie98

Diamond Member
Nov 6, 2011
Although the questions Chicken axed are relative...

I'll tell you from experience that if you plan to rip and encode media you will need at least an i5. I use my desktop (i5 2500K) to encode and then transfer the files to my Pentium-powered HTPC. Having said that, you need to decide pretty early on what form factor you want to pursue... some HTPC units have to conform to a specific dimensional requirement (mine did...) to fit, the components chosen will have to accommodate the case chosen.

I actually chose a small PC-type case (it's the cabinet I was using for the rest of the media components...) but your needs may differ. $500 is a reasonable budget for a standard HTPC, but much of it depends on what else you expect it to do...

btadler

Jul 30, 2009
Was thinking mATX unless you feel an ITX would better suit what I am looking for. I am looking for this to be a stand alone system storage wise so was planning on using 2TB HDD. Found this case and liked the looks of it as far as space goes (http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00DL4BMRC/...FHTPCbuild.php) This system will be sitting on a shelf on my entertainment center or next to it if space constraints arise with the case.

scoob8000

Dec 20, 2004
Doesn't look like a bad case, but keep in mind it's low profile so you'll need a low profile cpu cooler and a video card with a low profile bracket.

If you could give up a little bit of height on your shelf, I'd go with a full size mATX case. Much easier to run wires and better airflow. You can often go with bigger fans that'll be much quieter.

pkscout

Aug 30, 2012
Was thinking mATX unless you feel an ITX would better suit what I am looking for. I am looking for this to be a stand alone system storage wise so was planning on using 2TB HDD. Found this case and liked the looks of it as far as space goes (http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00DL4BMRC/...FHTPCbuild.php) This system will be sitting on a shelf on my entertainment center or next to it if space constraints arise with the case.

I have that case. It's a nice case. You don't necessarily need a low profile fan (the standard one that came with my i3 fit fine), but if you want to put in a DVD/Bluray drive you have to be REALLY careful about the depth of the drive and the depth of your power supply. There are dimensional restrictions in the manual, so read that before you buy any parts.

Take a look at the post I made over at AVS on my build. It has pictures of the tight tolerance.

http://www.avsforum.com/t/931459/show-your-htpc-setup/960#post_22783107