HTPC Build help

skuzzzzy

Aug 31, 2010
Looking to beable to play back any file from my Nas.
700-800mb avi's, 2-5gb mkv's, 4gb dvd iso rips, 3d in the future.

Replace my TWC digital cable/dvr box.

heres the build im looking at, looking for additional input. Making the purchase soon as the new i3's come out.

CPU: i3 4340 3.6ghz HD 4600 GPU

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z87N-Wifi LGA 1150

RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series (2 x 4GB) DDR3 1600

OS SSD: SAMSUNG 840 EVO MZ-7TE120BW 2.5" 120GB

DVR HDD: WD WD Blue 1TB 5400 RPM 8MB

or
Microsoft Windows 8 Professional 64-bit

Case: LIAN LI Black Aluminum PC-Q12B Mini ITX Media Center (Includes 80 Plus 300w Micro-atx PSU

Keyboard/Mouse: Logitech K400

Cable Card tuner: Ceton InfiniTV 4 PCIe - Quad-tuner Card

core i3-4330t 3 ghz 35 watt
core i3-4340 3.6 ghz 54 watt
Both will use 4600 GPU, so would you go for the 3.6 or the 3 ghz with less watt?

ceton pcie tuner or hdhomerun prime external, for reliability?

I know right now windows 7 is better but should i get windows 8 pro incase everything moves to windows 8?

can i laptop HDD handle the recording of 3 streams? I really like that case but it wont fit a 2tb WD green like i really want for it.

What all software do I need to install when i get it setup?

I want to beable to
record all my fav series auto if possible like on my dvr,
boot to live tv,
good codecs to install, and whatever else is reccomended?

If you can suggest a better case im all ears, im in love with that case just I really wanted a 3.5 drive for the dvr

Fallen Kell

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
If you already have an existing NAS do you really need local storage? I'm also of the "I need an optical disk" kind of person. I know that the majority of my stuff is already on my network storage, but if something happens to arrive from Netflix or I just picked up a new movie and want to watch it right away, I don't typically want to have to rip it first.

This also means that I do not need to have a blu-ray/dvd player on the shelf in the home theater, since the HTPC does that job for me as well.

That pretty much means that case is out of the question for this use, but there are other cases which work perfectly well. I also would recommend a discrete graphics card since you still get better video quality from them as compared to what is available in an integrated CPU.

skuzzzzy

Aug 31, 2010
If you already have an existing NAS do you really need local storage? I'm also of the "I need an optical disk" kind of person. I know that the majority of my stuff is already on my network storage, but if something happens to arrive from Netflix or I just picked up a new movie and want to watch it right away, I don't typically want to have to rip it first.

This also means that I do not need to have a blu-ray/dvd player on the shelf in the home theater, since the HTPC does that job for me as well.

That pretty much means that case is out of the question for this use, but there are other cases which work perfectly well. I also would recommend a discrete graphics card since you still get better video quality from them as compared to what is available in an integrated CPU.

The nas is for movies / shows. i want to keep the dvr seperate. I dont need a drive for it, i have a ps3 and ps4 on the way.

How much better video quality are you talking? everyone keeps telling me to get it onboard