HTPC Build: HD Playback and Network ?s

trooper11

Aug 12, 2004
Ive been working ona new pc build for use as a dedicated htpc.

The hardware build went fine but Im at the software side of things and thats where Im having the issues.

First of all, here is a list of the important hardware/software specs:

Intel Core 2 2.66Ghz
3GB Ram
Abit Fatal1ty F-I90HD Motherboard (using the onboard ATI X1250 HDMI for display output)
LG LG GGC-H20 BluRay/HD-DVD combo drive
Windows Vista Home Premium
PowerDVD (OEM copy supplied with the LG drive)
AnyDVD HD (for getting around encryption issues and ripping some movies to the hdd later on)

Now this system is going to be part of a network that includes other xp pro pcs. My first issue is trying to access media (photos and music) that is located on these networked xp pcs within Vista's media center. The strange thing is, WMP in Vista can see and play the music from other pcs, but within VMC the media cannot be seen.

I even went as far as trying to manually adding the locations for music or photos inside of VMC and it will take, but when I actually go to look at the media, none of it is showing up. When trying to view the photos, I can see the folder I created for the networked location, but there isnt anything showing in the folder. Same goes for music, I cant see any of the media that it should have added from the networked location. I assumed WMP managed the music end of things, so why would VMC not see files that WMP deals with just fine?

----------------------------------------

Onto the second issue: Playback of Blu-Ray/HD-DVD titles.

This one is a bit tougher. Im using the HDMI out from the onboard ATI X1250 graphics which are HDCP compliant, but running the PowerDVD test utility shows something different. All steps pass green except for the graphics. Now I also noticed that Cyberlink doesnt list this chip as a supported piece of hardware, but why would this be? Is there an updated version of PowerDVD that adds support for this hardware or a work around to get it to work?

Im open to hearing alternatives to PowerDVD for playback purposes if it makes all of this doable. Thanks for any input.