HTPC Build Guidance

svtkobra7

Sep 28, 2012
I'm working on an interesting project and would like your help in picking out components and also helping me determine if I can get away with no cable to drive all of my televisions.

1. What YOUR PC will be used for. Usage will be two fold: Primarily as a HTPC, but also as an extra workstation for e-mail, web browsing, etc.

I will have four monitors that I want to output to via HDMI: (1) Bathroom - Samsung UN22D5010, 1920 x 1080 resolution, (22"). I ran 2 HDMI cables, 1 USB cable, and 1 coax cable to this TV (no LAN connection/wireless on this TV). I intend to use this to watch the news while showering / shaving in the morning. Can this be done using a HTPC without paying for cable?

(2) Living Room - Samsung UN60ES8000, (60"). I ran 2 HDMI cables, 2 Cat 6 cables and 1 coax cable to this TV. I use this to watch movies from my NAS and would like to be able to consume other content on it, but I'm not sure what is available?

(3) Bedroom - NO TV YET, but will likely get one that is around 40" and has 1920 x 1080 resolution. Open to suggestions here. I ran 2 HDMI cables, 2 Cat 6 cables and 1 coax connection to where this TV will be mounted. I intend to use this watch movies from my NAS and would like to be able to consume other content on it, but I'm not sure what is available?

(4) Computer Nook: NO MONITOR YET, but would like to get one that is 24" or 27" and has 1920 x 1200 resolution. Open to suggestions here. I ran 2 HDMI cables and two USB 3.0 cables to this nook. I intend to use the to be purchased monitor and keyboard / mouse in the computer nook (a) to control the whole system as needed (b) available as a workstation for guests and (c) for myself for e-mail, web browsing etc.

To give you a better perspective on the scenario, this is all in a 2 bed condo which is approximately 1200 square feet. I converted the coat closet next to the computer nook into a space to house and connect everything. None of the monitors are more than 15 feet from the closet. I put in a ClosetMaid organizer which is structured into two segments. The bottom section currently holds two UPS devices, a Linksys E4200 wireless router, a Synology DiskStation DS212, a Synology DiskStation DS413, a USB 3.0 HD, and a printer connected to the router. The upper section has doors which conceal the structured wiring box and the area between the doors and the wall will be used for the PC. I like the Fractal Design Node 605 or maybe something similar as a case. Possibly something smaller, but I'm inclined to go with your recommendations.

2. What YOUR budget is. I don't necessarily have one, or it is whatever is needed to make everything function as desired. I have invested a good bit already in labor (to wire everything) and also components, so I won't cheap out here. Is around $2k reasonable?

3. What country YOU will be buying YOUR parts from. US

4. IF YOU have a brand preference. That means, are you an Intel-Fanboy, AMD-Fanboy, ATI-Fanboy, nVidia-Fanboy, Seagate-Fanboy, WD-Fanboy, etc. Prefer Intel / nVidia / Seagate, but I'm inclined to go with your recommendations. I need a video card or two that will support 4 HDMI connections.

5. If YOU intend on using any of YOUR current parts, and if so, what those parts are. Yes I plan on using some existing parts. (1) I have a Synology DiskStation DS212 (2x2TB HD) and Synology DiskStation DS413 (4x2TB HD) where I keep my data and media. Possibly a small SSD is all I need for the OS and Apps as the media is on NAS. (2) I have a wireless keyboard and mouse that I will use.

7. IF YOU plan on overclocking or run the system at default speeds.
Undecided. This will be my first build so I'm inclined to not overclock to keep it simplier.

8. What resolution will you be using? Reference #1

9. WHEN do you plan to build it? I would like to puchase parts ASAP.

Many thanks for your help!!! I think I might have something neat going here, so I'm happy to post pictures when I get home from work and please let me know if you have any questions.

<< NOTE Reposted from General Hardware Forum >>

Last edited:

Jammor

Sep 1, 2012
hmmm, not an expert here but don't you need hardware & software located at each TV? Like clients or extenders to 'extend' your HTPC server to the rooms in which you want to watch tv or other content?

You have the ethernet cabling which is good but you want to be able to tune what you're watching at the TV that you're watching it at or else if you tune the tv / content at the server then every TV in the condo will be a slave to that tuning, right?

assassin24

HTPC Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
You are going to need something like extenders or satellite HTPCs at each location.

Batmeat

Feb 1, 2011
If he has two video cards each capable of 3 hdmi outputs, you can run up to 50ft hdmi cables before you start to lose signal quality. Depending on the layout of the condo you may be able to get away with it. However, this is my opinion and I'm quietly starting my own htpc server. So, whether or not what I said about the 3 hdmi outputs from two video cards works is another story.