HTPC behind TV?

Booty

Aug 4, 2000
Anyone done this? I think Zotac has a pretty slim box that may work, or I could look at using a laptop... the TV I want to try this with isn't mounted *extremely* close to the wall, so if I can keep the machine under 1.5" or so it could work.

Thoughts/experiences?

Booty

Aug 4, 2000
Don't you use the VESA mount points to mount the device to the TV?

Yeah, maybe I should clarify...

I'd be mounting the device directly to the wall somehow... custom built shelf maybe, but probably just some metal brackets. It doesn't have to be pretty 'cause it would be hidden, so that's not a difficult problem to solve for me.

Getting the required power in the right package is the issue. I figure we're close... ultraportable laptops and tablets are so thin and light, yet are obviously capable of handling HD content. Really seems like it'd be easy to tuck one back behind the screen, and I might just try it. Wanted to see if anyone else had done it, though.

The whole point in this case is that this is in a room without surround sound, so there's no receiver or any other equipment except the HTPC, so I could ditch the little table currently under the TV and make the room look a little cleaner.

I'll eventually post pictures if I end up with a successful configuration...

piasabird

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
Some of the mounts like they use for smaller thin MINI-ITX motherboards have a mount that screws to the vesa mounting holes and then a slide where you can slide the computer on and off to work on it. The problem with these is they are designed with an atom processor in mind.

Example: http://www.directron.com/ci02.html

I dont think a 90 watt power supply is strong enough for something like an i-3 or a pentium.

wirednuts

Diamond Member
Jan 26, 2007
honestly, i have plenty of room behind my tv to mount both my htpc and my stereo... i think i might just do that!

Zap

Elite Member
Oct 13, 1999
the TV I want to try this with isn't mounted *extremely* close to the wall, so if I can keep the machine under 1.5" or so it could work.

How about dispensing with a case altogether? Use a mini ITX socket 1155 motherboard with some low wattage CPU (to get the lower profile cooler). Mount board directly to wall. Mount SSD directly to wall. Use a Pico PSU. Done. TV will cover it, so nobody knows. :cool: