HTIB Setup Help Needed

cmdjing

Jan 7, 2008
Based on a bunch of research, I recently bought the Onkyo HT-SR800 HTIB system as people seem to think this is a pretty good value. I've just up and finished installing it and everything is working ok, except for one factor. When I watch a DVD, the speakers play the audio and the speakers on my new panny plasma automatically turn off. However, when watching plain jane cable tv, the sound instead outputs through the speakers on the tv and not the new home theater speakers. I followed the instructions in the manual and used some standard composite cables I had lieing around for the time being. What I have done is attached the video and L/R audio from the dvd player to the receiver, then attached another set of composite cables from the receiver directly to the TV.

As the topic said, how do I wire up the system so that even while watching regular cable tv, the audio output is sent to the speakers? Help would be appreciated, thanks.

cmdjing

Jan 7, 2008
That seems so simple it just might work. Ok so I need to have two sets of wires coming out from the tv. The one I already have now, the composite cable outputting from the receiver to the TV, and another set outputting from the TV to the receiver? I'll give it a try, wish me luck.

PurdueRy

Lifer
Nov 12, 2004
I swear I responded to this thread...but anyway.

My question, why are you using composite video and analog audio cables to hook up your TV and DVD player. Perhaps your TV may not have a digital out but your DVD player certainly should.

cmdjing

Jan 7, 2008
Elementary my dear Watson. I don't have any other cables. All I have are el-cheapo composite cables that have been lieing around for years. I think they came with an old DVD player back from 2000 and an even older VCR player. All the digital and HDMI cables are ridiculously expensive at stores. :(

My TV (Panasonic TH-58P700U) and receiver have HDMI and the whole shebang of digital inputs and outputs but I figured I would never use them and the rows upon rows of empty connections and slots is a little intimidating. Does using the newer cables really make everything that much better? :confused: If so I figure I can buy some some cheaper cables online.

PurdueRy

Lifer
Nov 12, 2004
Originally posted by: cmdjing
Elementary my dear Watson. I don't have any other cables. All I have are el-cheapo composite cables that have been lieing around for years. I think they came with an old DVD player back from 2000 and an even older VCR player. All the digital and HDMI cables are ridiculously expensive at stores. :(

My TV (Panasonic TH-58P700U) and receiver have HDMI and the whole shebang of digital inputs and outputs but I figured I would never use them and the rows upon rows of empty connections and slots is a little intimidating. Does using the newer cables really make everything that much better? :confused: If so I figure I can buy some some cheaper cables online.

Oh....dear....

So you have a 58" plasma TV and a surround sound system connected with Composite video and analog audio cables.....

If I came to your house and saw that my head would explode.

Perhaps you should list for me the devices you have and I will make a list of cables you should get from www.monoprice.com. And yes, the difference is huge.

At Least tell me you have OTA HD channels...

cmdjing

Jan 7, 2008
Sadly no, no over the air HD reception, though there is a reason for it.

I do have a VHF/UHF bunny ear/loop antenna that I have tested and received HD broadcasts. The problem is that it is similarly old and el-cheapo and does not have a switch so I have to unplug it and reconnect the cable wire everytime I want to watch my cable channels. I have tried buying a newer antenna with the built in switch but the problem is I cannot receive one HD channel I really want, Channel 10 an ABC affiliate in Broward Florida, because I have my TV downstairs (I was NOT hauling that 120 pound TV up a flight of narrow stars) and it interferes with reception (I can receive the missing channels upstairs). Having tried 3 indoor amplified antennas so far, none have been able to pick up the missing channel from downstairs because the channel in question broadcasts in VHF rather than UHF. So I told myself to forget and just stick to watching standard definition programs. (A few channels are really good even in standard def such as FX) I can't really be bothered with an outdoor antenna as I'm squeamish about drilling holes in my wall, right now I'm toying with the idea of getting one of those smallish indoor/outdoor brick looking antennas with the long wire so I can just put the antenna upstairs and run the wire all the way downstairs because the location of my living room is located fortuitously next to the stairs.

Regarding devices, there are only three. The Panasonic TH-58PZ700U, the Onkyo HT-SR800 HTIB (It comes I think with Onkyo's standard entry level receiver), and a Shinco DVD/VCD player I picked up in China in 2002. I use it because it plays NTSC and PAL. I think it's a rather shitty DVD player and doesn't really come with many inputs and am open to other suggestions as long as they are region free and can play both NTSC and PAL discs. I look forward to hearing your recommendations on what cables to use.

PurdueRy

Lifer
Nov 12, 2004
Originally posted by: cmdjing
Sadly no, no over the air HD reception, though there is a reason for it.

I do have a VHF/UHF bunny ear/loop antenna that I have tested and received HD broadcasts. The problem is that it is similarly old and el-cheapo and does not have a switch so I have to unplug it and reconnect the cable wire everytime I want to watch my cable channels. I have tried buying a newer antenna with the built in switch but the problem is I cannot receive one HD channel I really want, Channel 10 an ABC affiliate in Broward Florida, because I have my TV downstairs (I was NOT hauling that 120 pound TV up a flight of narrow stars) and it interferes with reception (I can receive the missing channels upstairs). Having tried 3 indoor amplified antennas so far, none have been able to pick up the missing channel from downstairs because the channel in question broadcasts in VHF rather than UHF. So I told myself to forget and just stick to watching standard definition programs. (A few channels are really good even in standard def such as FX) I can't really be bothered with an outdoor antenna as I'm squeamish about drilling holes in my wall, right now I'm toying with the idea of getting one of those smallish indoor/outdoor brick looking antennas with the long wire so I can just put the antenna upstairs and run the wire all the way downstairs because the location of my living room is located fortuitously next to the stairs.

Regarding devices, there are only three. The Panasonic TH-58PZ700U, the Onkyo HT-SR800 HTIB (It comes I think with Onkyo's standard entry level receiver), and a Shinco DVD/VCD player I picked up in China in 2002. I use it because it plays NTSC and PAL. I think it's a rather shitty DVD player and doesn't really come with many inputs and am open to other suggestions as long as they are region free and can play both NTSC and PAL discs. I look forward to hearing your recommendations on what cables to use.

The Philips 5140 can be easily hacked(I have done it) to play all regions of DVD's. Seems pretty decent build quality wise as well.

With just your TV and Home theater so far(no DVD player until we see if your keeping your current one) all you really need is a optical cable from the TV to the receiver for TV audio. This isn't a huge increase in quality as you aren't getting OTA HD which broadcasts in Dolby digital. Your DVD player will be where the real quality increase will be, both picture and sound. Let me know what you want to do with that and then I can suggest some cables.

So no other components? No cable box or anything?

cmdjing

Jan 7, 2008
No cable box and this is opening a whole another can of worms. In my house, to receive the standard analog cable all I have to do is connect the TV via a RF coaxial cable with a wall outlet. I'm not even sure what a cable box is for as I don't even have one to receive cable TV.

The thing is, my house was built in 2001 and the developer signed a deal with the local cable provider to pre-wire all the homes they were building for free. Naturally they didn't pass the savings onto us, the home owners, and instead found a way to screw us over. What ended up happening was in return for the free-wiring, the housing developer and by extension the home owners association locked everyone who purchased a home into a 10 year long contract :( with said cable company. We are of course free to pursue other TV providers such as Comcast or DirecTV/Dish but we are still charged a monthly cable bill as part of our monthly home owner's association "maintenance" fee irregardless of whether or not we actually use their service. So I am stuck paying them $50 dollars a month for about 70 or so analog channels and I'm stuck with it for the next 3 years.

And of course as I mentioned, no cable box. :(

BTW, what is the difference between getting the digital coaxial audio cable and the optical toslink audio cable? I figured I'd go for the digital one because it is cheaper.

Muadib

Lifer
May 30, 2000
You might be able to get your local channels in HD with the setup you have now. Most cable companies don't scramble their local HD channels, so all you need is a QAM tuner, which you have on that awesome tv. Take your cable wire, and plug it into the other tuner. Then have your tv scan for digital channels, and see if you get any. You might be in for a nice surprise.

BTW, what is the difference between getting the digital coaxial audio cable and the optical toslink audio cable?
For your needs, there is no difference. As long as your digital coaxial cable has a 75 ohm impedance, then you are good. Many rca cables meet this, so odds are you already have one. Toslink cables can introduce jitter, but I doubt you will notice.

PurdueRy

Lifer
Nov 12, 2004
Originally posted by: Muadib
You might be able to get your local channels in HD with the setup you have now. Most cable companies don't scramble their local HD channels, so all you need is a QAM tuner, which you have on that awesome tv. Take your cable wire, and plug it into the other tuner. Then have your tv scan for digital channels, and see if you get any. You might be in for a nice surprise.

BTW, what is the difference between getting the digital coaxial audio cable and the optical toslink audio cable?
For your needs, there is no difference. As long as your digital coaxial cable has a 75 ohm impedance, then you are good. Many rca cables meet this, so odds are you already have one. Toslink cables can introduce jitter, but I doubt you will notice.

Ah, but it DOES matter for him...as he does not have a digital coax out on his TV ;)

http://www.monoprice.com/produ...id=2764&seq=1&format=2

The normal 6' is sold out. You may need a different length though.

Muadib

Lifer
May 30, 2000
Originally posted by: PurdueRy
Originally posted by: Muadib

Ah, but it DOES matter for him...as he does not have a digital coax out on his TV ;)

http://www.monoprice.com/produ...id=2764&seq=1&format=2

The normal 6' is sold out. You may need a different length though.
Ahhhh! I thought he might have both since he asked. I've never seen the back of that model, only the awesome front.