htc 8x, galaxy s3, or dedicated GPS device

michal1980

Diamond Member
Mar 7, 2003
update:

Learned the 8x doesn't work on page plus.

So the question is How good is the Galaxy s3 as an offline gps?

I'm going on a few road trips this year, and my 4year old gps without lifetime maps is getting long in the tooth. So I was looking at getting a new unit, for ~100 dollars or less, but before I do that I was thinking of the following:

(cell background)
I don't talk or text much, and right now do not use much data, so I use Page Plus, on the 12 dollar a month plan.

If I get a htc8x , I'll stick with Page Plus, Galaxy S3 I'll switch to Ting.

Both the 8x and S3 go for ~300 on ebay. A GPS unit will be ~100. So in reality a phone upgrade will cost me ~200.

--------

Are any of these phones good offline GPS units (no constant data connection, downloadable maps)? Is one better then another?

Or am I better off with a dedicated GPS unit?

Last edited:

ImDonly1

Platinum Member
Dec 17, 2004
The Windows Phone will have Nokia offline maps come with it (free).
The Galaxy S3 will come with google maps (needs data connection) or you would have to buy an offline maps app.

If you could get an 8X on pageplus activated easily and want a Windows Phone then I would do that. Verizon coverage and probably cheaper monthly than Ting too (depending on your use)?

Really depends if you want a Windows Phone or Android phone.
Also, FYI you could update the maps on your navigation unit for free (is it a Garmin? You might want to check out some torrents).

michal1980

Diamond Member
Mar 7, 2003
The Windows Phone will have Nokia offline maps come with it (free).
The Galaxy S3 will come with google maps (needs data connection) or you would have to buy an offline maps app.

If you could get an 8X on pageplus activated easily and want a Windows Phone then I would do that. Verizon coverage and probably cheaper monthly than Ting too (depending on your use)?

Really depends if you want a Windows Phone or Android phone.
Also, FYI you could update the maps on your navigation unit for free (is it a Garmin? You might want to check out some torrents).

its a Magellan RoadMate 1470. I looked before and couldn't find anything. I'll try again.

Zstream

Diamond Member
Oct 24, 2005
Windows Phone 8, all models have the capability to download Nokia here. It is a free gps offering with offline capabilities and other settings useful for work. There is also a Garmin application available called mapnavi or something which costs like $30 or something.

michal1980

Diamond Member
Mar 7, 2003
Windows Phone 8, all models have the capability to download Nokia here. It is a free gps offering with offline capabilities and other settings useful for work. There is also a Garmin application available called mapnavi or something which costs like $30 or something.

thanks

unfortunately, none of the windows 8 phones work with Page Plus right now. Tmobile prepay dosent have the voice coverage I need, because I go out to the middle of nowhere at least a few times a year, and page plus has good/great voice roaming, I hear sprints is similar.

Might have to go with the S3 for now, while sprint gets its win8 phone.