HT not appearing?

sman789

Banned
May 6, 2003
I had my system fine with ide drives then wanted raid0 with sata converters....XP Pro installed very quickly but i noticed in task manager that there was no 2nd graph:(

i booted with the SOS and it also listed one proc. I fine since i'm able to push it to 3.0 and Raid 0 is super fast but i would still like HT on

sman789

Banned
May 6, 2003
HT is on and so is acpi....HT worked b4 putting the converters on.
I disabled raid and installed and it and still no HT.
So it could be the converters but i dont know why.
I'm gonna have to try without the converters soon
the only things changed in the bios are to run sata raid

Lord Evermore

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
The converters couldn't affect whether HyperThreading is detected.

During install of XP, you have to force the ACPI Multiprocessor PC HAL to be used. When you install XP, it defaults to the Standard PC with C-Step i486 (at least for new P4's, I can't find any documentation of exactly what that one does differently from others). This explains how: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;299340

One thing that is easy to miss or not notice if you aren't reading that page, is only two types of HAL are displayed, and since the standard c-step one is next to last, you will see only that and "other", and hitting the down arrow makes you think there are only two options. But you can scroll upwards to get the others. I can't imagine why they made it only show two, it took us several installs before we figured that one out.

Lord Evermore

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
Yeah. Pain in the ass. You'd think it would be able to detect dual CPUs. Or that you could change the HAL without having to risk losing everything. Or that they'd have made it a modular kernel and you could just add in support for another CPU. Or that it would just always use the "single processor on a dual processor capable board" HAL so that if you DO ever add a CPU it'd work.