HSF recomendations for a AMD Phenom II X4 940 quad

GeezerMan

Platinum Member
Jan 28, 2005
I have a AMD Phenom II X4 940 quad running at stock speeds, and I figured the stock heatpipe HSF would be OK. But my load temps are at 61 C, which is too close to the 62 max for my comfort. Temps measured by coretemp program. Yeah, I know core temp is hotter than case temp, but the AMD utility program is showing the same temps as core temp. AMD says the max operating temp is 62 C, but is that core or case?

Anyway, a recommendation for a HSF to use at stock speeds would be appreciated. I prefer one that I don't have to remove the motherboard.

Thanks

dennilfloss

Past Lifer 1957-2014 In Memoriam
Oct 21, 1999
dennilfloss.blogspot.com
Xigmatek's offerings FTW! Just lght enough not to need bolting. The 1283 keeps my 955BE happy and it's a few months old for a HSF. Newer models should perform even better.

Mloot

Diamond Member
Aug 24, 2002
what Dennilfloss said, or the Sunbeam Core Contact Cooler (another good one)

Leyawiin

Diamond Member
Nov 11, 2008
Originally posted by: dennilfloss
Xigmatek's offerings FTW! Just lght enough not to need bolting. The 1283 keeps my 955BE happy and it's a few months old for a HSF. Newer models should perform even better.

Exactly what I'm using on my X4 955 (HDT-S1283). In an Antec 300 with all fan spots filled I idle at 33C and load at 43-45C. Cost me $30.

GeezerMan

Platinum Member
Jan 28, 2005
Well I forgot I had a Cooler Master Hyper TX2 HSF sitting in my parts box. So, I slapped some artic silver 5 on it and put her in. I have an Antec 300 myself, with the stock 140 mm fan on top, 120 mm exhaust, and one 120 mm fan up front. I decided to mount another 120 mm front fan, now giving me two up front. My PC room gets warm, around 78 F. I'm surprised to see my full load temps, with all cores at 100%, have now dropped to 52 C. This could get even a few degrees better once the arctic silver cures after 200 hours.
This HSF is not known as a real performer, but it's good enough for stock settings. Makes me wonder if the extra 120mm front fan was all I really needed
Thanks guys.

Rockinacoustic

Platinum Member
Aug 19, 2006
For those using a Xigmatek on an AM2, the air flow can only be directed up or down right? It seems only a good option if you have a top exhaust fan like the 300 does.

Leyawiin

Diamond Member
Nov 11, 2008
Originally posted by: Rockinacoustic
For those using a Xigmatek on an AM2, the air flow can only be directed up or down right? It seems only a good option if you have a top exhaust fan like the 300 does.

Exactly and that's what I looked for in buying a case for my AM3 set up. Thankfully, its becoming a pretty common feature.

NotquiteanooB

Apr 14, 2005
I know you asked about a HSF, but ,Check out the CoolIT Domino ALC for CPU's (ALC=Advanced Liquid Cooling) Supports LGA775&1366 and AMD AM2,AM2+,AM3.
You may have to remove the mobo if the backplate is loose after you remove the AM3 HSF bracket. On my ASUS board it was loose so I taped it, to hold while I changed the support bracket.
I'm using a x4 955 at stock speed and with the CoolIT Domino installed I have a constant 36*C temp. Measured by 2 apps. ! ASUS probe II, and the Antec case sensors; filament type mounted along the edge of the CPU and held in place by pressure from the fluid block.
I'm also using a CoolIT on my OC'd P6T i7 and it has low & stable temps. This is a sealed unit, so you don't have to add fluids, and no chance of a reservoir leaking all over your DVD or Harddrive hardware. I was using Corsair water coolers previously and had leakage problems that took out 2 DVD Roms; a floppy, and 2 320Gb HDD's. On 4 of my PC's I'm using CoolIT's, and plan to change out the last Corsair to a Coolit b4 it leaks !!
The Coolit has Reservoir, Radiator, fan and pump all contained in 1 package that would fit the 120mm fan mount inside the rear of a normal case; and has 3 speed pump and fan settings.
Great CPU cooling for under $100 !!
I'm sold !!