HSA accounts.. what happens when you cancel them?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by demenion, Mar 7, 2009.

1. demenion

demenion Golden Member

Hello.

I work for small company.. benefits are not very good but I guess it's better then nothing.. :)

I decided to go with the HSA with my employer, because it would be a waste of money paying monthly medial insurance when I probably would not use it.

The company will make a small deposit every month ($72)

I think I'm going to sign up with my current bank out of convenience. Bank of America currently has a $4.50 monthly fee and 1.5% interest rate. I am wondering how that compares to other companies.

If I lose my job or move companies with better benefits.. or for some reason decide to cancel my HSA account? What kind of penalties should I expect? Do I just get taxed for the money that was deposited into it?

Thanks.

2. yuchai

yuchai Senior member

The good news is that the HSA account stays with you regardless of your employer and it's not a "use it or lose it" situation.

But, if you use the money for non-health care related expenses, you get taxed and also get an additional 10% penalty.

3. V00DOO

V00DOO Diamond Member

The money is your for life. You can use the money for over counter drugs like cold medicines, pain killers, etc. I already spend over $1k of my HSA on dental works.

4. jlee

jlee Lifer

$4.50/mo..? Try a local bank and see if you can get one for free.