HS Lineman gets Pwn'd by Recruiting Hoax

oiprocs

Diamond Member
Jun 20, 2001
Text

The guy announced at a news conference in his HS gym that he was verbally committing to Cal. To paraphrase, he had "spoken with Cal Coach Jeff Tedford several times and was excited to be recruited by a great program". He had also mentioned that his choice came down to Cal and Oregon.

Only problem? Neither school was recruiting him, and there are no reports of any scholarship offer from either school. Apparently, someone called as Jeff Tedford and fooled the kid into thinking he was being recruited.

If that's the case, whoever did that is a prick. What a sh!tty prank.

TehMac

Diamond Member
Aug 18, 2006
If the kid honestly was duped, why would it be bad for him??

Beev

Diamond Member
Apr 20, 2006
Yeah if he was a typical dick douche dumbass jock then good, it's funny as hell.

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
ok if the guy was a dick to poeple and acted like the king of the school then it was great (wich i do expect).

but its funny heh

but what could the people that did it (if not himself)? w hat charges could be filled?

slsmnaz

Diamond Member
Mar 13, 2005
Originally posted by: TehMac
If the kid honestly was duped, why would it be bad for him??

he actually stated he took an official visit to Cal. I can understand being pranked with a phone call but he outright lied about making a visit.

moshquerade

No Lifer
Nov 1, 2001
Originally posted by: oiprocs
Text

The guy announced at a news conference in his HS gym that he was verbally committing to Cal. To paraphrase, he had "spoken with Cal Coach Jeff Tedford several times and was excited to be recruited by a great program". He had also mentioned that his choice came down to Cal and Oregon.

Only problem? Neither school was recruiting him, and there are no reports of any scholarship offer from either school. Apparently, someone called as Jeff Tedford and fooled the kid into thinking he was being recruited.

If that's the case, whoever did that is a prick. What a sh!tty prank.

It's not clear whether someone else did it or the kid is the hoaxster.

Kevin Hart

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
oh boy. this can get nasty.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/...6/ST2008020600092.html

It was quite a scene in the Fernley (Nev.) High gym on Friday. A 6-foot-5, 290-pound football player, seated at a table with his coach beside him, was making his college selection before a cheering crowd. On the table before him were a pair of baseball caps -- one from the University of California and one from the University of Oregon.

The player reached for the blue Cal hat, bent the visor, and placed it on his head, signifying that he was accepting a scholarship to play at the school and would officially sign his letter-of-intent today, the first day senior high school football players can do so. Television crews and a newspaper reporter were present for what was believed to be the first Division I college athlete from the town of Fernley (pop. 19,700).

"We're still gathering information," NCAA spokesman Stacey Osbourn said. "Generally in situations like this -- not that there are a lot of them -- we would talk to some folks to figure out if any violations took place, either on behalf of the prospective student-athlete or our schools."

NCAA rules prohibit college coaches from talking publicly about specific recruits, making rumor and innuendo currency. Some high school coaches, accustomed to having colleges recruit their players, know how to deftly navigate the process. For uninitiated coaches and uninformed parents and guardians, the recruiting process is an awakening.

But rarely, if ever, has a scenario such as Hart's emerged. At Friday's ceremony, the player was willing to talk about how he narrowed his choices to Cal and Oregon, and specifically mentioned Cal Coach Jeff Tedford.

"Coach Tedford and I talked a lot, and the fact that the head coach did most of the recruiting of me kind of gave me that real personal experience," Hart was quoted in the Reno Gazette-Journal.

When word began to circulate Saturday that something was amiss with Hart's commitment to California, the player went to the Lyon County Sheriff's Department to file a report. According to Mike Lange of the sheriff's office, Hart said he had attended a football camp where a person claiming to be a recruiter had loaned Hart money. Hart said he paid the man back between $500 to $700 more than the initial loan but did not find out the man was not affiliated with any schools until after committing to California, Lange said.

"It would be fraud, obtaining money under false pretenses, something along those lines," Lange said. "From what I understand, there is not a whole lot of evidence from this kid, so I don't know how successful an investigation will be. But we will see what we can do."

If Hart did take money from a man he thought was a representative of a university, that could have affected his amateur status, Bonine said. If that is the case, Fernley could have to forfeit games from a season in which it finished 8-4 and reached the state semifinals.
'

so now Coach Tedford is being investigated by the NCAA for possible violation, the high school he went to MAY have to forfiet the wins they had.

wow

OutHouse

Lifer
Jun 5, 2000
yeaaaaa lets hold a school pep rally, invite the press for a jock that got accepted to play ball for college. everybody has egg on their face over this and it makes me happy.

BrownTown

Diamond Member
Dec 1, 2005
Originally posted by: Citrix
yeaaaaa lets hold a school pep rally, invite the press for a jock that got accepted to play ball for college. everybody has egg on their face over this and it makes me happy.

thats what they did when players at my school got scholarships to play sports, I don't see where that is anything out of the ordinary especially in a smaller town where it is rare. I personally feel terrible for the kid if he was really duped like it seems. Many people around here apparently didn't get along with the "jocks" in high school and think this is really funny and all, but I assure you this kid and his parents ain't to happy about the fact that someone duped them into thinking he had a full scholarship to a great university and now hes screwed because it is already signing day.

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000

i don't feel sorry for the kid. more and more storeis are comeing out. and it looks like he started a lie and got in over his head.

Though the story has lots of other people screwed. The high school may have to forfiet all the games it won (screwing over the rest of the team), Coach tedford is not being investagated by the NCAA wich may cost them a few players.

BigJ

Lifer
Nov 18, 2001
Originally posted by: Throckmorton
So Tedford really had something to do with this? Otherwise why would he be investigated?

Geee, to make sure he didn't have any involvement with it?

TruePaige

Diamond Member
Oct 22, 2006
Originally posted by: BrownTown

thats what they did when players at my school got scholarships to play sports, I don't see where that is anything out of the ordinary especially in a smaller town where it is rare. I personally feel terrible for the kid if he was really duped like it seems. Many people around here apparently didn't get along with the "jocks" in high school and think this is really funny and all, but I assure you this kid and his parents ain't to happy about the fact that someone duped them into thinking he had a full scholarship to a great university and now hes screwed because it is already signing day.

Yeah..well I think the player is at fault if he got a PHONE CALL, and then told everyone it was final, he had toured the campus, etc..

So the player and his family are:

1. Liars
2. Idiots for taking a phone call as acceptance

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
So Tedford really had something to do with this? Otherwise why would he be investigated?

do you know what a investigation is?

Mr Pickles

Diamond Member
Feb 24, 2006
Originally posted by: waggy

do you know what a investigation is?

Do you know what "do you know what an investigation is?" is?

hdeck

Lifer
Sep 26, 2002

you do realize that every high school in the nation with a top recruit does this, right?

Throckmorton

Lifer
Aug 23, 2007
Originally posted by: BigJ

Geee, to make sure he didn't have any involvement with it?

Why would there be any investigation if it was just a prank? If I impersonate Al Gore to pull a prank, is he going to get investigated? Obviously he wasn't recruiting the kid so why would he lend him money with $500 interest?