HP ZR24w 24-inch (1920x1200) DisplayPort IPS LCD Monitor @ $350 AR FS at macmall.com

Kenmitch

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
What's the difference between these two both from Macmall

HP Smart Buy ZR24w 24-inch S-IPS Widescreen LCD Monitor (VM633A8#ABA) $399 - rebate

HP ZR24w 24-inch S-IPS Widescreen LCD Monitor (VM633A4#ABA) $495

The model #'s are different with a good price jump also.

I'm not buying either one as I'm happy using my Vizio 32" LCD TV anyways. It's only 1080P but is an IPS panel :)

Martimus

Diamond Member
Apr 24, 2007
What's the difference between these two both from Macmall

HP Smart Buy ZR24w 24-inch S-IPS Widescreen LCD Monitor (VM633A8#ABA) $399 - rebate

HP ZR24w 24-inch S-IPS Widescreen LCD Monitor (VM633A4#ABA) $495

The model #'s are different with a good price jump also.

I'm not buying either one as I'm happy using my Vizio 32" LCD TV anyways. It's only 1080P but is an IPS panel :)

They are physically the same panels, but HP produced a bunch of them at a discounted rate in order to jumpstart sales on the monitor when it was released. It seems that some of the retailers haven't run out of that stock yet, or HP has decided to produce more at the discounted rate.

doug_ny

Nov 20, 2010
When was this monitor introduced? There's no specs on luminance, transition speed, and at 3000:1 *dynamic* CR seems a little shy of cutting edge.

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
When was this monitor introduced? There's no specs on luminance, transition speed, and at 3000:1 *dynamic* CR seems a little shy of cutting edge.
this monitor doesn't have very good black levels once calibrated compared to the dell, and is well behind VA monitors from eizo.

if you search for 'zr24w' the first thing you get is the product page at HP for this monitor, where you will find the answers to all your questions.

Last edited:
Dec 26, 2007
this monitor doesn't have very good black levels once calibrated compared to the dell, and is well behind VA monitors from eizo.

if you search for 'zr24w' the first thing you get is the product page at HP for this monitor, where you will find the answers to all your questions.

http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/hp_zr24w.htm

It might not have the best contrast ratio or black levels, but it does have great color accuracy compared to other monitors in it's category (both calibrated and uncalibrated).

I might not want to use it at work with bright overhead CFL lighting, but at home where it's not as bright and the lighting can be controlled I would have no problems with this monitor. I'm thinking about picking one up to replace my Dell 2408 actually.

nataku00

Dec 5, 2004
i wanna know this as well, i got a soyo from years ago

I upgraded from a Soyo Topaz S screen to the ZR24W when the Topaz started having some pixels stuck on green in the middle of the monitor. The OSD controls are much better on ZR24W, and I've been happy with the monitor after setting it up with calibrated settings I found somewhere. Decent response time, good color replication for videos, but black level detail isn't the best (the Topaz did a better job reproducing different shades of black in dark scenes for movies and most games).

I could probably hook up the old Soyo and do a side by side comparison, but I'm happy with just the two monitors on my desk.

OatMan

Aug 2, 2001
Macmall now has these for an even better price. I'd jump on these now if I hadn't already found a deal a few months ago on a Dell U2410.

If you aren't burning to get a new high quality monitor (if you are a photographer and don't have an IPS monitor you will be shocked) - ...

** Consider waiting for a touchpad-ish firesale. I wouldn't wait for this as this is already a great deal... but if HP really is getting out of the hardware biz whole cloth, then perhaps everything will be slashed soon... this could just be a harbinger to sell before the rush.

24" $250 (after MIR)
http://www.macmall.com/p/HP-Monitors...79~pdp.gbbaifj

22" for $122 (After MIR)- sick!
http://www.macmall.com/p/HP-Monitors...79~pdp.gbbaifj

I figured I'd bump this old thread before placing a proper new one.