HP Touchsmart 300 cpu

brontes

Jun 28, 2019
Ive seen questions about the Touchsmart 300 and replacing the cpu. I have a HP Touchsmart 300 - 1040a - a 2009 model - and have upgraded not only the cpu but also increased the memory and installed a 1Tb SSD. The memory and SSD is no problems. HP specs say only 8Gb ( 2x4Gb) memory can be installed, but it will take 16Gb ( 2x 8GB ). Even though the bios shows only 8Gb, it does accept the 16Gb RAM. The CPU i installed is an AMD Athlon 605e - AD605EHDK42GM - C3 chip. The original bios will only accept a C2 chip. HP released a bios update in 2011 i believe that accepts the C3 chip cpu. If you are in the process of upgrading your Touchsmart, i suggest you go to the HP website and download all the latest drivers and firmware for your system for a hassle free installation. My Touchsmart has served me well for the last 10 years but with continued updates to Windows 10, it has been getting slower and slower. With these new components i installed it is again super fast, and will last me another 10 years. I hope this helps anyone else doing the same.

IntelUser2000

Elite Member
Oct 14, 2003
@brontes You want to verify that its actually 8GB of memory not 16GB. When you load up windows and its still 8GB, then only half is being recognized. It makes sense because the BIOS only shows 8GB too.

brontes

Jun 28, 2019
@brontes You want to verify that its actually 8GB of memory not 16GB. When you load up windows and its still 8GB, then only half is being recognized. It makes sense because the BIOS only shows 8GB too.

There is quite a few differing opinions on using 16Gb in my HP, as to its performance, but I guess the only way to find out is to try it myself. When I do I will post back on here.