HP Spectre 13.3 (2016) USB-C Adapter

gte619n

Jan 19, 2011
Hey friends,

I was wondering if anyone had successfully used ANY USB-C adapter to power the new 2016 HP Spectre 13.3 laptop? I have tried:

Innergie PowerGear USB-C 45 45W Laptop Adapter
dodocool USB C Charger, 30W USB Type-C
MINIX NEO C, USB-C Multiport Adapter with HDMI (USB hub works, nothing else)
iVoler 75W USB Type C Charger

None of these will power this damn thing. The HP adapter is $40 plus a $30 power cord (LOLZ). Additionally, the cables are so unweildy that it sucks to put in the bag, plus it's a three prong plug.

Anyone have any suggestions or know how to break the HP charger DRM?

Thanks!

E

paperwastage

Golden Member
May 25, 2010
won't work. the DRM is purposeful

someone tested various chargers, try them:
http://forum.tabletpcreview.com/thr...ock-crisis-explained.69523/page-2#post-476377

http://www.pcworld.com/article/3017...-every-device-we-have-to-chase-the-dream.html
Why HP's the odd duck
In the chart above you can see there’s one vendor with a glaring-red problem: HP with its Spectre X2. Keep in mind, I’ve updated the Spectre X2 with the latest UEFI and it still won’t work with third-party chargers. Here’s why.

After speaking with HP officials about the issue, it appears the company is just playing it safe. Fearing that a counterfeit or out-of-spec charger could make the touchscreen or audio subsystem flaky, HP has limited the access non-certified chargers have to the device. For now, HP exec Mike Nash told us, only “overnight” charging, or charging while the device is off, is supported.

”Are we being too conservative?” Nash asked. “I don’t think so.”

HP is committed to USB-C—it already has four or five devices that use it for charging. The company just doesn’t believe the spec is ready for interchangeability yet.

Lee Atkinson, a distinguished technologist at HP who’s been leading the effort to corral PC makers around USB-C, said the upcoming Power Delivery 3.0 spec should solve many of the outstanding issues, such as how much voltage to supply and how to control which way power flows between two devices. Atkinson said OEMs all agree it has to be done correctly and with group consensus.

gte619n

Jan 19, 2011
Such bullshit.

HP just informed me that their replacement AC adapters will not be available until 9/20.

Can't get a docking station to work either.

TheStu

Moderator<br>Mobile Devices & Gadgets
Sep 15, 2004
Wait, so for once Apple doesn't have the proprietary charger??? Holy cow.

(retina MacBook owner here, before that a MacBook Air with a proprietary charger)