HP putting Freesync in laptops

railven

Diamond Member
Mar 25, 2010
According to some recent articles - they're going to need those Freesync monitors with all the sabotage OEMs are doing to APU based laptops.

I hope AMD fixed the minimums issue or this is gonna be another feather in the sabotage clause. Intel must have paid bucket loads for this to happen.

SlowSpyder

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
Freesync and single channel ram. :D

You can stop the trolling.

-Rvenger

Last edited by a moderator:

NTMBK

Lifer
Nov 14, 2011
Nice, should make laptop gaming a little more bearable. Now we just need some more powerful APUs...

tviceman

Diamond Member
Mar 25, 2008
www.facebook.com
So glad to see AMD pushing Freesync this hard. It'll make Gsync premiums that much more silly. AMD has been making more and more better moves lately in their push against Nvidia.

96Firebird

Diamond Member
Nov 8, 2010
So glad to see AMD pushing Freesync this hard. It'll make Gsync premiums that much more silly. AMD has been making more and more better moves lately in their push against Nvidia.

I was thinking the same thing, Freesync has gotten a lot more traction that I thought it would during it's infancy.

DooKey

Golden Member
Nov 9, 2005
2nd & 4th comment on thread slightly positive towards an AMD tech. Threadcrapping reported and I'm calling out useless mods to up your game.

Forum's going down the drain.

Infraction issued for moderator callout and personal attack.

-Rvenger

@richaron

If you think it's going down the drain only because of anti-AMD people then you are only half right. Guess who the other half is?

@Rvenger

Thanks for mod work you do.

DooKey

Golden Member
Nov 9, 2005
I was thinking the same thing, Freesync has gotten a lot more traction that I thought it would during it's infancy.

I bet there aren't any more people using Freesync than there are people using G-sync.

xthetenth

Golden Member
Oct 14, 2014
I bet there aren't any more people using Freesync than there are people using G-sync.

I wouldn't be surprised either. They're both centered in early adopter demographics, and AMD's better job of getting into non-enthusiast segments of the monitor market is probably having to offset the big market share lead NV has, which probably translates into a big lead in GSync in the top of the market. However, I think Freesync will grow better because it's starting to be available in pretty much every price segment, and that lead will grow as it seems like more and more companies are just adding it in with refreshes as another checkbox to tick even if it's a suboptimal implementation.

pj-

May 5, 2015

I would bet that there have been more Freesync monitors sold than Gsync. And I would agree with your bet that there are more gsync users than freesync. Freesync has traction the same way 3d tvs did for a while. You bought a tv that happened to have 3d, you didn't set out to buy one.

2nd & 4th comment on thread slightly positive towards an AMD tech. Threadcrapping reported and I'm calling out useless mods to up your game.

-Rvenger

Is it a callout to say "Infraction issued" doesn't make sense grammatically?

You didn't issue an infraction, he committed one.

Last edited:

Rvenger

Elite Member <br> Super Moderator <br> Video Cards
Apr 6, 2004
I would bet that there have been more Freesync monitors sold than Gsync. And I would agree with your bet that there are more gsync users than freesync. Freesync has traction the same way 3d tvs did for a while. You bought a tv that happened to have 3d, you didn't set out to buy one.

Is it a callout to say "Infraction issued" doesn't make sense grammatically?

You didn't issue an infraction, he committed one.

I don't understand what you are saying. Please PM me and lets not talk about it here.

-Rvenger

el etro

Golden Member
Jul 21, 2013
C'mon AMD, give us the DDR4-4000 or higher choices! To make the APU's scream!

railven

Diamond Member
Mar 25, 2010

I'm definitely buying a new monitor this year. Waiting to see which new GPU can run 4K best.

If I get stuck with a G-sync monitor, I get the feeling I'll be stuck with an NV GPU during that upgrade cycle (I do a new monitor every other year).

I need to sneak the GF's 21:9 LG downstairs to test it on the 290X. See what Freesync is all about. (Saw Gsync at a Microcenter booth, wasn't impressed).

EDIT:

I wouldn't be surprised either. They're both centered in early adopter demographics, and AMD's better job of getting into non-enthusiast segments of the monitor market is probably having to offset the big market share lead NV has, which probably translates into a big lead in GSync in the top of the market. However, I think Freesync will grow better because it's starting to be available in pretty much every price segment, and that lead will grow as it seems like more and more companies are just adding it in with refreshes as another checkbox to tick even if it's a suboptimal implementation.

GF has a Freesync monitor, but NV GPU. Especially when some Freesync monitors are going for dirty cheap prices (as they clear out older models for new), you wouldn't expect owners to run out and swap their GPU if they did have an NV card.

tential

Diamond Member
May 13, 2008
You should at minimum have a Freesync monitor. The difference between non Freesync and Freesync isn't much/nothing. If you have NV GPU, it's the same thing.
If you go with AMD GPU you benefit.

Gsync is the bonus if you can afford it.

But if you're getting a new monitor, it should have at least freesync, and Gsync if you can afford it and want to use NV GPUs

railven

Diamond Member
Mar 25, 2010
You should at minimum have a Freesync monitor. The difference between non Freesync and Freesync isn't much/nothing. If you have NV GPU, it's the same thing.
If you go with AMD GPU you benefit.

Gsync is the bonus if you can afford it.

But if you're getting a new monitor, it should have at least freesync, and Gsync if you can afford it and want to use NV GPUs

Far as I know, there is not a single monitor that has both FreeSync and G-Sync. If a monitor as so comes out, that would probably have my highest interest. Then I can flip-flop on GPUs without a worry.

I'd only even consider a G-Sync monitor (thus locking myself to NV for the duration of the monitor) if it brings everything I want and isn't priced to the moon (ie if it's at most $100 diff between a G-Sync and FreeSync model, that isn't much for me to be concerned about, at $150 or more, screw G-Sync, screw Nvidia).

PPB

Golden Member
Jul 5, 2013
It is a good move. Dont know the BoM impact behind it, but it would also give them a good advantage to ship with dual channel ram too. Having higher margins because of BoM reductions is of no use if the product ends up performing worse than it should and you end up selling less.

kawi6rr

Oct 17, 2013

-Rvenger

It's come to a point where I have to add people to the ignore list. It's a shame this forum is becoming so negative when we're just looking for tech info.

Feb 19, 2009
How much performance gain would Carrizo get with dual channel fast ram, 20-30%?

The worse thing reading that AT review is the fact the AMD SOC notebook costs the same as Intel's, but it has less ram, single channel and the actual SOC is sold at half the price. WTH?! o_O

As for notebooks with FS, its needed since mobile GPUs tend to be under-powered. Good move.

xthetenth

Golden Member
Oct 14, 2014
How much performance gain would Carrizo get with dual channel fast ram, 20-30%?

The worse thing reading that AT review is the fact the AMD SOC notebook costs the same as Intel's, but it has less ram, single channel and the actual SOC is sold at half the price. WTH?! o_O

As for notebooks with FS, its needed since mobile GPUs tend to be under-powered. Good move.

Yeah, it's nuts that there's so much evidence of cost cutting through the AMD laptop and it doesn't show up in the price tag at all.

FS in general seems to be much stronger where it matters most, I think that could help a bunch in the long term.

GF has a Freesync monitor, but NV GPU. Especially when some Freesync monitors are going for dirty cheap prices (as they clear out older models for new), you wouldn't expect owners to run out and swap their GPU if they did have an NV card.

Yeah, I'm kind of expecting Freesync to become a kind of default feature for monitors and showing up even where people don't see an immediate benefit just because why not? It might help AMD a bit if people get FS monitors and then have that as a small encouragement to buy AMD over NV, but I don't doubt that a bunch of people will get them without switching because of the same lack of cost that means they get the screen in the first place.