HP probook 6460b or HP probook 645 G1?

Kerio_Orisa

Jun 13, 2016
Hi,

I need some suggestion about choosing one of these laptops: I am thinking of buying (used) either HP probook 6460b (AMD A8-4500m 1.9Ghz) or HP probook 645 G1 (AMD A8-4500m 1.9Ghz). Both have the same processor, but the newer model (645 G1) is thinner. Any experience of which one stays cooler in the base/bottom or is better insulated?
I know none of them are latest models, and cannot handle intensive tasks, but I just need a “cold” computer for browsing and watching movies.

Ketchup

Elite Member
Sep 1, 2002
My opinion - if you want one that is going to be cooler, get an Intel model. I have worked with two different people over the past year who had to replace laptops with AMD processors due to overheating (and working on PCs is a hobby, not my job). And neither of those laptops had a substantial amount of dust to blame it on. AMD processors just don't tolerate heat well.

Another opinion - when buying a used laptop, get a newer laptop over an older one. Laptops have a finite life: over time the screen losing brightness, the battery loses lifespan, the power connector gets loose, the hinges wear, and the aforementioned heat can stress components, depending on what you get. So unless you find a model that has a lot of reported issues, newer is better.