HP Printer drivers try to install to C: - My hard drive is E:

Discussion in 'Computer Help' started by TJN23, Apr 25, 2005.

1. TJN23

TJN23 Golden Member

Trying to install an HP PSC1315 Printer on WinXP SP1...

Download drivers (EXE package from hp.com)
    Double-click on it, says "please free up 80 megs on drive C to install"

The problem is my hard drive letter is set to E: - and I´ve tried to change it to C, but it won´t work in the control panel. It lets me edit the "E:" text but doesn´t change when I try to modify it.

Is there a way for me to run this printer software so it can install to E:

2. CalvinHobbes

CalvinHobbes Diamond Member

If you just need the drivers you can unpack the .exe file and load the drivers using XP printer manager. Another option would be to check to see if there's an ini file that contains the default path. You may be able to edit that file so that it installs to E:. Most installation programs usually just look for the OS drive and install based on the value returned, I can't imagine that HP hard codes the path but anything is possible.

3. TJN23

TJN23 Golden Member

the problem is there is just one EXE file, no ini files, no supporting files, nothing....

could you explain how to get into the XP printer manager to unpack the file?

thanks

4. montag451

montag451 Diamond Member

Sometimes, the files are unpacked into a TEMP folder or even the TEMP folder.

Might want to start the installation [but don't do anything when prompted], then open Win Explorer, and do a search for the newest files that have been created - if you can, copy them to another folder.

5. FlyingPenguin

FlyingPenguin Golden Member

HP Drivers have that problem. The archive package sometimes asks you for a destination folder, but often it doesn't and defaults to c:\drivers or something.

If you install Winzip you may be able to open the EXE file (it's a self extracting archive) and then unzip the files wherever you want.

Alternately you could download them to another computer that does have a C drive and then burn them to CD.

ANother option would be to insert a USB memory stick in your computer and give it the C drive letter.

Hope this helps...