HP PC will not detect discrete GPUs.

Protoapex

Dec 23, 2014
Hi. I'm in need of some help here.

Firstly, the computer specs:

It's a old HP Pavilion h8-1120 PC. Out of warranty, of course.; this was bought in 2011.

i7-2600 @ 3.4 GHz stock
Pegatron IPSIB-CU (Carmel2) motherboard
8 GB DDR3 1333 MHz RAM
1 TB HDD
Windows 7 Home Premium
Nvidia GT530, 2GB
300W PSU

I decided to give my i7-2600 some thermal paste maintenance. Warranty's gone anyways.

That alone went fine. But me pulling out the processor from the mobo socket caused the HP PC I was working on to stop detecting discrete GPUs and revert back to the integrated GPU found inside the processor.

HP's BIOS settings are a major pain to work with, and I have yet to remedy this. I've done everything from installing the latest BIOS update, installing the integrated GPU drivers (which, oddly enough, are not present on this OEM PC) to disabling the iGPU in Device Manager (since THIS version of BIOS Utility 7 has no option to force the onboard GPU off or even force on PCI-E cards) and trying to run a display off the discrete GPU. I've even tried to swap in other GPUs, just to make sure it is a motherboard problem. None of the GPUs have been identified on this PC, and have all been able to run other other PCs. No luck so far.

Alternatives may include getting a sub-$50 mATX motherboard to replace the HP OEM mobo, or simply reinstalling Windows 7- but on the hard drive that may or may not be ending its lifespan soon, thanks to SMART.

Anyways, if you have a suggestion you'd like me to implement, let me know. Thanks!

phasseshifter

Apr 28, 2014
check that u have the processor snug to the socket..also check for bent pins.did you have trouble putting the h/sink/fan assy on..??....a new mobo would solve a lot of bios issues for shore..also i would upgrade that power supply like a corsair cs550/650 m series or better...my motto has always been this when replacing a mobo..replace the power supply as yours is old and of low wattage ..but a new mobo will prolly require a fresh install of win..because it was installed to match you hp mobo ..

denis280

Diamond Member
Jan 16, 2011
That alone went fine. But me pulling out the processor from the mobo socket caused the HP PC I was working on to stop detecting discrete GPUs and revert back to the integrated GPU found inside the processor.
Remove and clean gpu

piasabird

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
Make sure you unplug everything when working on the computer. The power cord should be unplugged to insure the computer is completely off and give it some time to completely drain all the capacitors; say 10 minutes.

Read the manual. Go to the support page at the manufacturer's website and ask them. Every singly motherboard is distinctly different. If I was to guess the solution, it is to go into the BIOS and changing the video options. The integrated video probably comes on whenever you put in a new processor and the BIOS resets back to defaults. Usually you can get into the BIOS by pressing specific keys during the computer booting process before windows starts up.

F8 is usually the default for safe mode in windows.
Sometimes BIOS is DEL or F2 or F10 or a few different keys pressed all at once. This depends on the motherboard, and it is in your manual. Try downloading the manual from the manufacturers website.

Last edited:

piasabird

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
My guess is the motherboard does not want to detect the video card. After a period of time the contacts both on the PCIE slot and the video card might corrode a little. So with the computer unplugged, remove and insert the video card a few times to help rub off the oxidation where it makes contact with the motherboard. If the Video card is not seated well it might not work.

Another important thing to remember is the video card may need a power connection to activate. A (PCIE) power connection from the power supply. The motherboard may also need a 4 or 8 pronged P4 power connector that plugs into the motherboard.

Harvey

Administrator<br>Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Remove the vid card, reboot, enter Setup, and see if there's an option to detect an external vid card before booting to the onboard video.

If so, select that setting, save and power down. Then, re-install the vid card, and reboot.

Good luck. :)

denis280

Diamond Member
Jan 16, 2011
Remove the vid card, reboot, enter Setup, and see if there's an option to detect an external vid card before booting to the onboard video. If so, select that setting, save and power down. Then, re-install the vid card, and reboot.
and reseated the GPU
Did you make sure the bios is set to external video adapter?
there should be a setting in the bios like peripherals onboard gpu unable or disable.or gpu pci-e

Protoapex

Dec 23, 2014
there should be a setting in the bios like peripherals onboard gpu unable or disable.or gpu pci-e

Did you make sure the bios is set to external video adapter?

I'm unable to. Not in the BIOs, at least. In HP's BIOS Utility 7, they have an option to enable/disable the PCI-E x16, enable/disable PCI SERR# generation and PCI VGA Palette Snooping. They also have a feature that allows you to toggle the iGPU (Integrated Video Enable/Disable), but here's the strange part.

For the h8-1120. regardless of the h8-1120's most recent BIOS update, there is no "Integrated Video" option on this version of BIOS Utility 7.

Which brings this question to mind: Why is HP so incompetent that they won't even include such a function for this model if a similar event like mine were to happen?

Last edited:

denis280

Diamond Member
Jan 16, 2011
ask a mod.to move your post to computer help.

---

Done. :)

Harvey
Senior AT Mod/Admin Thank you Harvey. denis

Last edited:

vailr

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Make sure you unplug everything when working on the computer. The power cord should be unplugged to insure the computer is completely off and give it some time to completely drain all the capacitors; say 10 minutes.
A better method can be accomplished by first: turning off via the power supply's rocker switch at the back of the computer, then pressing and holding the front power button for a few seconds. Simply waiting 10 minutes won't discharge the capacitor at all.
For cleaning oxidation from the video card electrical contacts: use a pencil eraser.

Protoapex

Dec 23, 2014
Crap. My apologies to all of you in the thread, that was rude of me to overlook that.

I initially thought that upon reseating the CPU, there were no bent pins. That was why I had waved off this proposition earlier in this thread.

However, it wasn't until two guys pointed out in a row on HardForum that the pins might have been bent that I decided to look at the socket and consider uploading a picture of the socket for them to see.

Mistakes were made.

I also blundered on re-bending the affected pins, so I decided to grab an MSI H61 mobo and a Corsair CX600M, and follow through with adding an old Radeon HD 7870.

I'd like to thank you guys for helping and assisting me with something that stemmed from an simple overlook, and the subsequent confusion that followed soon after.

Last edited:

denis280

Diamond Member
Jan 16, 2011
Crap. My apologies to all of you in the thread, that was rude of me to overlook that.

I initially thought that upon reseating the CPU, there were no bent pins. That was why I had waved off this proposition earlier in this thread.

However, it wasn't until two guys pointed out in a row on HardForum that the pins might have been bent that I decided to look at the socket and consider uploading a picture of the socket for them to see.

Mistakes were made.

I also blundered on re-bending the affected pins, so I decided to grab an MSI H61 mobo and a Corsair CX600M, and follow through with adding an old Radeon HD 7870.

I'd like to thank you guys for helping and assisting me with something that stemmed from an simple overlook, and the subsequent confusion that followed soon after.
No hard feeling.Merry xmas;)