HP pavilion dv1000 laptop booting issues.

btcomm1

Sep 7, 2006
It will boot off of the windows cd that came with it, but it won't boot off of any other bootable cd. Have you heard of this problem before? What might be wrong?

I just tried burning a fresh copy of memtest86 and now it's scrolling white text while trying to boot off of it.

The text looks like this.

@x: 8012
AX:0212
BX:AA00
CX:0201
DX:0100.

Then it repeats this pattern all the way to the bottom of the screen.

Now I'm not sure if that is because it was trying to boot off of memtest or if it was trying to boot off the hd and failed becaues I just rebooted and it basically ignored the memtest86 cd and booted off the hard drive into windows.

corkyg

Elite Member | Peripherals
Super Moderator
Mar 4, 2000
Run a drive cleaning disk a couple of times. It might be dirty. But I see it as a DVD drive problem. I have the dv1000 also, but it has not trouble booting from any bootable CD. You may be nearing drive replacement. :(

corkyg

Elite Member | Peripherals
Super Moderator
Mar 4, 2000
Run a drive cleaning disk a couple of times. It might be dirty. But I see it as a DVD drive problem. I have the dv1000 also, but it has not trouble booting from any bootable CD. You may be nearing drive replacement. :(

btcomm1

Sep 7, 2006
Dang, thats pretty sad considering I think there is also a ram issue as well as an HD problem in this computer. It kept getting blue screens over and over. I did the hd test in the bios and it came back as a failure. So I put a new HD in the computer did the HD test and it passed. Then I tried to reinstall windows and it kept getting blue screens until I took out 1 stick of ram. Then it went through, but after it was finished the first thing that came up was an error saying windows had recovered from a serious error. Of course I would like to boot from memtest to see if the ram that is in it tests ok but it won't stinkin boot off of it. For some reason it still boots off of the windows cd though.

I put one stick of ram in the top slot and memtest finally loaded but all I see is errors on it.

I switched the stick in the top slot with the other 512 mb stick and booted up and memtest loaded again after showing that strange pattern again and so far the ram is testing fine.

Now I really don't know what to think!!! This sucks.

So I'm now testing the ram that was getting a bazillion errors and it's testing fine now. What is going on??? Could it be the ram was seated in enough for the computer to boot but give it errors on memtest?

Maybe it was just a coincidence that the windows install went all the way through when I removed one stick of ram?