HP Laptop warranty...

Baronz

Mar 12, 2002
I have a problem with my display messing up, everytime I tilt the LCD to a certain degree (around 90 degrees to the base) it gets all crazy, and the screen freezes with tons of artifacts.

My plan is to either sell this laptop with this problem of course telling the buyer, or to send it to HP to see what they can do with it and to sell it after the repair. I'm not selling it because of this issue, just because I spent alot of for it and I dont feel I use it enough to justify the money spent.

I'm pretty sure its the display cable going bad.

Will they charge me some crazy amount to fix this? I've heard of people paying in excess of 250$ to get motherboard replacements and such. It is still under its 1 year warranty.

Wondering if its worth it to send it back or to just sell it, the problem doesn't really hinder the use much as all you have to do is move the LCD a tiny bit to get it un-frozen, but it's doubtful someone would buy it.

Opinions/Suggestions?

Baronz

Mar 12, 2002
It's a ZE4100, P4 1.7, 14" XGA.

Bought it back in January in the laptop deal from Staples.

Dec 4, 2001
Display problems (as long as not dead pixel related) are normally covered under mfg warranty. call hp or see if there is any local shop that is hp authorized for repair. Best Buy mfg repairs usually takes about 2-4 weeks.

Baronz

Mar 12, 2002
Originally posted by: LeprechaunKing
Display problems (as long as not dead pixel related) are normally covered under mfg warranty. call hp or see if there is any local shop that is hp authorized for repair. Best Buy mfg repairs usually takes about 2-4 weeks.

What do i need for best buy to do the repair? Any proof of warranty/ date of purchase or anything?

jschuk

Jun 29, 2001
I would deal directly with HP. I don't have the phone number for their Pavillion laptop service at home, but it should be listed in your documentation, or somewhere on the website. Make sure you back up your data and get it sent in before the warranty expires.

DanJ

Diamond Member
Oct 15, 1999
Originally posted by: Baronz
What do i need for best buy to do the repair? Any proof of warranty/ date of purchase or anything?
You need to have bought the Best Buy service plan.