Hp Laptop DV6000 turns off and on

Discussion in 'SFF, Notebooks, Pre-Built/Barebones PCs' started by pclaptop23hour, Jun 20, 2012.

1. pclaptop23hour

The power supply plug from the power supply went bad on this notebook. bought a replacement plug from Ratshack and blue light lit and all is fine, right?

Wrong!

I then try to power up unit and the blue lights above the keyboard will light only for a second and then shut off!

You can press the power button all day long and those blue lights will light, just for a second, and then go off.

The battery seems to have charged up some, in that I can disconnect the power supply and the same on~off situation occurs with JUST the battery for a power source.

Did a google and some said, 1) remove battery hold power button down,2) remove cmos battery, 3) check memory. tried all of those and NFG!

I then read some replies to my google query, and read that the video chip may have overheated and unseated a fews pins? Are they serious?

Anyhow/way can some one shed some light on this problem?

thanks

#1 pclaptop23hour, Jun 20, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 20, 2012
  2. Pardus

Pardus Diamond Member

HP Pavilion dv6000 won't turn on power button quickplay motherboard faulty problem repair

DV6000 lights turn on, nothing else [Solved/Closed]

3. pclaptop23hour

4. Lanyap

Lanyap Elite Member

Although the DV6000 has major nvidia GPU problems it will normally power on and stay powered on but without video. Since yours will not stay powered on and it started when your AC adpater died I suggest you take the battery out and just power up with the AC adapter. If you see no blue lights and no power on then your new AC adapter is not working and your battery is too low to power up.

5. pclaptop23hour

Thanks for the thought, but the unit does the same thing with the power supply or the battery. The battery WAS completely discharged but after letting the DV6000 sit overnight plugged in ( I was in a "What Now" mood and just left in on bench) it seems to have charged battery. Either way though Ac adapter Only or Battery only it does the same thing. Hit the On button, blue lights across the top light for a second then go out!

6. TheNovice

TheNovice Junior Member

I had the same problem on my old dv6000. I tried all those fixes - none worked for me.

In the end, I replaced the switch ribbon cable, and all works fine now. Cost was about $1 from ebay.

You need to remove the 3 screws under the battery and the 2 back (left and right) corner screws so that you can tilt the speaker and switch housing. Before you do that - remove the 3 keyboard screws (2 underneath the battery compartment. you will need to also open the RAM compartment for the 3rd screw.) The 3 screws have a pic of a keyboard next to each one. If this doesnt make sense - see youtube for tutorials on opening the laptop - its pretty easy to do.

Then replace the ribbon cable connecting the switch to the computer. The slot that the cable plugs into at the switch has a grey clip that you need to click forward slightly (not too much) to release the old cable. After inserting the new cable you need to click the clip back to hold in the new cable. The other side doesnt have a clip - just pull out and push in carefully.

(another temporary option for me was to remove the switch cable and use quickplay button. my laptop also has a remote control with a on/off switch, and both worked when the cable was removed.)