HP Haswell SFF / 8GB / 500GB HDD / Win10 Home key $119.50 @ Newegg (TheGoodComputerGuy) (TechYesCity YT conversion video)

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001

This is one heck of a decent deal on a SFF HP with a Haswell quad-core i5. I picked up a couple, just popped in a 480GB SSD and did a fresh install of Win10, using a newly-downloaded and run MediaCreationTool (with a media date of 01/2020 shown next to the Windows 10 editions when you install it, so it has the newest fixes).

The base unit doesn't have any HDMI, it has two DisplayPort and one VGA output. I was using a DisplayPort cable to my 40" 4K UHD TV, and during the initial Windows 10 installation, everything was way low-res, and basically in 16-color mode, it looked like garbage. For some reason, the OOBE installer didn't like the Haswell iGPU or the DP or something, I'm not sure. It was basically in B&W, strangest thing that I've ever seen.

But once it was finally installed, and I plugged in the ethernet, and it downloaded and automagically installed a recent display driver for the Haswell iGPU, everything was Kosher again, I had a full 24-bit color 4K UHD desktop. Finally, Windows 10 looked normal again.

The unit ships with a motherboard, with four DIMM slots (mine had 2x4GB DDR3 installed, so I can add the 2x8GB kit of DDR3 I have coming in, and have 24GB of RAM, rather than replace it), and it ships with three SATA ports, one unoccupied, and there's a SATA power connector and drive bay under the slim DVD drive. I think that was for one of HP's "Media Bay" removable HDD bay units to be installed, but mine just had an empty bay with a cover on the front panel, so it was VERY convenient to pop a 2.5" SSD into that space, and just attach it to the power, and add my own SATA cable to connect it to the mobo.

I was even able to boot directly off of a Win10 USB installer without messing with the BIOS, and then it auto-configured the new SSD as the boot device too. (I still don't know what the BIOS hotkey is for this PC, if anyone knows, please post it.)

The BIOS on mine was L01 from 2014, which is certainly probably out-dated. I think HP requires either in-warranty or a support contract to download BIOS updates these days, too bad. I don't know if there's an updated BIOS for these units with Spectre/Meltdown fixes, but there probably is one available to their business customers on support contracts. Whether those pose a real issue to home users, or gamers, I cannot say.

I have some low-profile GTX 1650 4GB GDDR5 cards from MSI ($159+ship+tax @ Newegg) on the way, to finish this upgrade. Things should be even better with that installed. The mobo actually has TWO PCI-E x16 slots on it, and an x1, but I don't know if you can fit two GPUs on it, unless they're LP and single-slot. (MSI 2GB GDDR5 GT730 card, I'm looking at you.)

My unit was VERY clean, basically brand-new it felt like, and virtually silent. (I had to put my fingers up against the CPU fan, to see if it were running.)

Edit: IOW, this felt like New-old-stock, rather than refurb. Maybe this was some corporate customer's overstock, that never got actually deployed, or these refurbishers are REALLY GOOD, and cleaned things up nicely, not a spec of dust or dirt, and they used a brand-new HSF on the CPU? It certainly didn't whine or show any severe signs of wear.

The 500GB HDD was a WD Blue, which was a good sign. No bad / pending sectors, showed something like 6,000 POH. Still in great shape.

These would make really fine "Mom boxes", or even a decent first Gaming PC for a child or even a teenager (although, I would suggest having your teen build their own Ryzen-based gaming PC for around $800, if they are old enough to want a "real" gaming PC, to play AAA games with their friends.)

Honestly, though, I'm spoiled by my Ryzen R5 3600 rig, with RX 5700, and 32GB of DDR4-3600 RAM, twin 1TB 660p NVMe SSDs, etc. so this Haswell box felt slow to me a little bit, even with the Team Group GX1 480GB SATA6G SSD. (It only benched 16.6MB/sec 4K QD1 random-read.)

Still, it should be relatively fast for web browsing tasks, and even gaming. (It should play nearly every title on the market still, although 4C/4T is slightly limiting. Once I install the GTX 1650, it should be able to stretch its legs.)

Last edited:

SamirD

Golden Member
Jun 12, 2019
www.huntsvillecarscene.com
Nice find!

HP usually doesn't lock down bios upgrades or anything like that on their desktops, so you should be able to find it and download it.

With a 4790k upgrade this would probably be pretty decent. Especially with the 1650. No power system, but no slouch either for the price.

Great to hear about the refurbishers. A lot of people (and companies) use marketplace sites to dump junk and run away. Glad to hear there are some people still using them like they were meant to be used--to simple reach a bigger audience. And like all good companies, they actually have a their own site, so I bet you could call them and get it even cheaper than through the marketplace:

Reactions: VirtualLarry

Replay

Golden Member
Aug 5, 2001
Good value as it comes, just add a cheap SSD for the OS. And the OS, well perhaps a Win 10 Pro "digital entitlement" is tied to the mobo, thanks to a first life as a Corporate pc, running Windows "Pro". Refurbing guys like to slap Win10 Home on stuff.

Used i7-4790k prices are still kind of nuts, typical of the top tier solution for a socket. Grabbed a i5-4690k for $50 in March. Would be hesitant to buy an old rig, and throw more than a little extra money into it.

SamirD

Golden Member
Jun 12, 2019
Yeah the 4790k is up there even though it was going for around $100 just a few months ago. :( Stupid me didn't pick one up at this price when I could have to finally feel what modern single thread performance would feel like:

The 4690k while much cheaper doesn't float my goat much because the single thread performance is like my 3770k--but that 4790k is another league:

melvinudal

Dec 12, 2014
Is this all proprietary stuff inside? I ordered one anyways and am planing on using the ram and SSD from an old atx tower I have. If I can swap the motherboard into the old tower, I could use the fullsize video card I have too.
If not, it's still cheaper than getting another motherboard and cpu for the old tower.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Is this all proprietary stuff inside?
Most OEM branded SFF stuff is, sorry if that wasn't clear. I wouldn't personally get one of these, intending to transplant to a standard ATX case.

Edit: See this vid, apparently, these aren't too hard to convert after all to a "normal" ATX tower.

Last edited:
Reactions: melvinudal

melvinudal

Dec 12, 2014
Still a good deal for me I just cannot use the video card, case and power supply. I do not think I could have got the old tower running again for $120 and this will be faster.

SamirD

Golden Member
Jun 12, 2019
Still a good deal for me I just cannot use the video card, case and power supply. I do not think I could have got the old tower running again for $120 and this will be faster.
Yep, proprietary. But as you've noticed, the total package is quite nice for what it can do. You probably won't even need a video card and can always add one later if you wish. :)

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
looks like the power supply connectors are not atx. everything else looks like it'd work but without getting power to it you're kinda sol.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Yeah, looking at mine, there's like... 3-4 weird-kinda power connectors. A 6-pin, and another few. Some of those might be for front-panel wiring/USB, or SATA power off of the mobo.

Lanyap

Elite Member
Dec 23, 2000
BIOS hot key should be F10. Latest BIOS and drivers link below. Looks like a nice deal. I would probably get it if I had not picked up an off lease Dell 7010 USFF for my new Linux rig.