HP DV1000 Laptop Display Problems

chrisabscar

Nov 15, 2008

My HP DV1000 Laptop display just suddenly stopped working. The computer comes on but the screen is absolutely dead. I hooked it up to an external monitor and it only displays in Safe Mode or VGA mode. If I run it in normal mode it goes to the Windows XP start up screen and stays there for a bit until the external monitor automatically shuts down, after which I have to force shut down the laptop and restart in safe mode. I am assuming this means that the Graphics Card has gone bad, but what else would cause the actual laptop screen to be dead as well? Is there any kind of replacement/fix that can be applied?

Harvey

Administrator<br>Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Even if your machine is out of warranty, HP's tech support will probably help you through their chat setup. You'll have to deal with it if you need repair, but they may be able to help you define the problem.

Good luck. :)

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Even with an external monitor connected at boot, most of the time when the windows display driver loads, windows defaults to the primary display, unless you hit the magic key combo. On the older Dell i was using, it was FN-F8.