HP DeskJet 845c & Win98SE

b4u

Golden Member
Nov 8, 2002
Good Day,

I have a system with Windows 98 Second Edition, and I want to install an HP DJ 845c. This is a USB printer, I had no drivers, so I went to HP website and found some drivers:

Description: deskjet 845C printer software/driver: Home users: USB
Date: 2002-04-04
Revision: 4.3
Size: 17.52 MB
Filename: 845-enu-win98_me.exe

The Win98SE detects a printer, and asks for drivers. Since this file is a packed exe, I canceled (it put a question mark in the Device Manager). Then I tried to run the driver's exe, it shows a small window with a status bar for loading, it doesn't increment anything, instead it just closes the window after about 30secs ...

I tried the very same thing with the drivers for an HP ScanJet 2200c, and it worked just fine ...

Anyone has any idea?

Does anyone have this printer and had this problem?

Thanks

bacillus

Lifer
Jan 6, 2001
instructions from hp:

This driver is designed for use on computers that will be directly connected to the printer from the computer through: A USB cable on Windows 98/ME.

Caution: The printer's USB cable must be unplugged before proceeding!

Installation instructions:

Create a new folder on the hard drive: c:\dj845 before downloading the printer driver.
Download the driver to the newly created c:\dj845 folder.
Open the c:\dj845 folder and double-click the downloaded "exe" file. Once the files are loaded and the "hp deskjet 845c" screen displays, proceed to step 6. If this screen does not display, continue with the next step to manually open the screen.
Open the c:\dj845\Win9x_ME
Double-click on the "setup.exe" file to start the installation program.
Click the "Install printer software" icon button. Files will now be loaded.
Follow the instructions on the installer screens to complete the installation.

b4u

Golden Member
Nov 8, 2002
Thanks for the info,

This was an error of mine quite a bit stupid you know, I mean what you post was the readme, and I've read it before, but I thought "It shouldn't be because of the directory!". Well, I gave it a try and gess what? It works :D:D:D Some times our experience blinds us from some simple facts! eheh

Thanks!