HP Color Laserjet 4550, $1459.99 Shipped @ Staples.

uwannawhat

Platinum Member
Jan 23, 2002
Go to Staples

Search for item "443691" price is $1999.99

Use special $500 off coupon code (do a search)

Use a $40 off $200 coupon (do a search)

Orders over $50 ship for free at Staples

Final price: $1999.99 - $500 - $40 = $1459.99 + Free Shipping

I know she's expensive but someone here may have a use for this. ;)

<< Prints 16 ppm black and 4 ppm color. It uses 3 separate cartridges for color and a separate cartridge for black printing. The printer's total paper capacity is 400 sheets, split among two trays. Parallel cable and ink cartridges are included. Plus save big on shipping as this is a relatively large and heavy item. >>

optoman

Diamond Member
Nov 15, 1999
This is from the Staples website:

<< 1. Add the HP Color LaserJet 4550 Printer (Item No. 443691), from below, to your online cart.
2. Use this coupon code at checkout: 21796. Offer valid 4/14/02 - 6/30/02 only.
>>

This seems a good price but still a little bit too much for me.

InverseOfNeo

Diamond Member
Nov 17, 2000
Although the color output of this is somewhat slow..the quality is better than any inkjet printer I have seen.

cmbehan

Apr 18, 2001
the color quality on this printer is supurb. If I had $1500 to spend, i'd get this printer without thinking twice. The color printing speed is slow, but quality is signifigantly better than inkjet printers. The only printers I've seen with bette rpicture quality are dye-sub printers, and they are SLOW (look for the ALPS, and I know Minolta makes one now as well)

cmbehan

Apr 18, 2001
you can, just make sure the paper is designed for laser printers. some specialty papers are designed for inkjet only.

I printer about 50 color CD labels on one of these, and they turned out awesome!

I had to get matte finish, though because the glossy finish CD labels weren't designed for lasers.

Just check your paper before feeding it through!

bubbadu

Diamond Member
Aug 30, 2001
you have to buy special photo paper directly through HP.... regular photo paper will bubble up from what i have been told

-Bubbadu

huesmann

Diamond Member
Dec 7, 1999
Beware though, this thing is a monster. You better have a lot of space available if you get it.

Neuroanatomist

Oct 9, 1999
Nice printer.. I bought 10 of these for work over the past year (4550N - networked version) and they are certainly better for large-volume color printing throughout a department (as opposed to cheapier Epson and HP inkjet printers on 20 different people's desktop/cubicles).

600x600 dpi max resultion, 16ppm black, duty rating of 35000 pgs/month

This printer is huge and weighs 140 lbs

There are 4 separate toners for color (black, magenta, yellow and cyan).. also HP has replaceable kits for the print drum, transfer kit, fuser kit.

For an office or small-business this would be a good upgrade for the b/w office printer and it can print additional color.. but I think for home use, it's way too big and not worth it if you only have limited color printing needs.

Haven't tried to use special paper, but the test color pages that come out look alot better than that of ink-jet.

GetReal

Golden Member
Mar 30, 2001

<< Nice printer.. I bought 10 of these for work over the past year (4550N - networked version) and they are certainly better for large-volume color printing throughout a department (as opposed to cheapier Epson and HP inkjet printers on 20 different people's desktop/cubicles).

600x600 dpi max resultion, 16ppm black, duty rating of 35000 pgs/month

This printer is huge and weighs 140 lbs

There are 4 separate toners for color (black, magenta, yellow and cyan).. also HP has replaceable kits for the print drum, transfer kit, fuser kit.

For an office or small-business this would be a good upgrade for the b/w office printer and it can print additional color.. but I think for home use, it's way too big and not worth it if you only have limited color printing needs.

Haven't tried to use special paper, but the test color pages that come out look alot better than that of ink-jet.
>>

IMO if you are going to print and spend this much then just get the "free" Xerox Phaser 850 or 860 color laser printers through their freecolorprinters.com site. The program now allows unlimited installations per account.

The HP 4450N is nice but is nothing compared to the Phaser 850 or 860. Besides the fact that the color print quality of the 4550 does not even come close to the commercial graphic quality of the Phaser printers, the "free" Phaser color laser deal includes the networked version of the top of the line 850 or 860 with an extra 500 sheet paper tray ($500 value) and paper handling capabilities that the 4450 can only dream about. Add all of this to the fact that you get free black ink for life of the printer and on-site service and support for 3 years included and there is no comparison between the HP and Phaser deals. The HP onsite contract alone for 3 years is over $1200 for the 4450. Even in the rare instances that you do not meet your monthly printing requirement with your Phaser , the $75.00 charge is nominal compared to the cost of the HP. Even with the consumables purchased directly from Xerox, we figured the cost of the Phasers over 3 years compared to the 4450 and 8550s and the cost was less than half with far superior print quality and no maintenance headaches. If you are a legitimate busineess the Phaser deal is a "no-brainer" and you get the added benefit of getting the HP monkey off your back forever.;)

Neuroanatomist

Oct 9, 1999

<< IMO if you are going to print and spend this much then just get the "free" Xerox Phaser 850 or 860 color laser printers through their freecolorprinters.com site. The prigram now allows unlimited installations per account.

The HP 4450N is nice but is nothing compared to the Phaser 850 or 860. Besides the fact that the color print quality of the 4550 does not even come close to the commercial graphic quality of the Phaser printers, the "free" Phaser color laser deal includes the networked version of the top of the line 850 or 860 with an extra 500 sheet paper tray ($500 value) and paper handling capabilities that the 4450 can only dream about. Add all of this to the fact that you get free black ink for life of the printer and on-site service and support for 3 years included and there is no comparison between the HP and Phaser deals. The HP onsite contract alone for 3 years is over $1200 for the 4450. Even in the rare instances that you do not meet your monthly printing requirement with your Phaser , the $75.00 charge is nominal compared to the cost of the HP. Even with the consumables purchased directly from Xerox, we figured the cost of the Phasers over 3 years compared to the 4450 and 8550s and the cost was less than half with far superior print quality and no maintenance headaches. If you are a legitimate busineess the Phaser deal is a "no-brainer" and you get the added benefit of getting the HP monkey off your back forever.;)
>>

Yeah.. I saw that too. The Xerox looks like a nice printer... but then when we (IT staff at large university) gave the terms of agreement to our purchasing manager and she saw "To qualify... all companies or organizations must have more than one employee and must be able to use a credit card for supplies purchases."

The purchasing department at school said no and would not put such a recurring monthly expense on the department credit card. All purchases by IT must be made with an appropriate purchase order and must be reviewed by the purchasing manager before approval. The Xerox program would have been a perfect program as the HP4500 must have half a million pages printed over a year.

:ugh: it's a wonder how higher-ed academic departments survive in the "new economy".

GetReal

Golden Member
Mar 30, 2001
Neuroanatomist - I "feel" your pain, but for the record, the Xeorox program will work wil P.O.s. The CC on file is basically a customer convenience and Xerox security feature for smaller companies,. However, if you are a larger legitiamte business with a Federal Tax ID, then you can also setup P.O. ordering for supplies. You need to call to inquire about setting up a P.O. based account. In your case, it is really a shame that some purchasing manager is that narrow-minded and will end up costing your instution thousands in unecessary maintenance costs over the life of those printers, but then again this seems to be the norm at most ischools where all they have to do is raise tuition to cover their costs .:)

BTW - Another added bonus of the Phasers is the solid ink. Anyone can install the solid ink consumables of the Phaserswithout the worry of toner spilling everywhere thus eliminating daily IT maintenace of each printer. Also, despite popular belief, the cost of consumables is far less than typical color lasers. If that us not enough, the 860 even has a built-in web server that can be configured to accept and print orders from customers for brochures, manuals, etc.. without the need for a secondary server.

Cougar

Golden Member
Feb 26, 2000

<< It's a nice printer, have the same one at work, but takes foooreevveer to warm up. >>

Tell me about it. This one place I worked had one of these beasts (man this sucker is huge) and the thing was set to fall asleep after 30mins. of inactivity (I think). I kept forgetting to change the sleep time on it so I had to wait eons for this sucker to warm up. Couple that with the slowest computer known to man and I hated printing anything with this printer.

Between its size and the freakish slow warm up time let's just say that I'd never get this beast even if you paid me.

jeepers94

Dec 11, 2000
Just wanted to let you all know,there is an HP 4600 to be out soon.It does a reported 9600dpi,17 ppm color&bw.It has duplex standard,
first page out in 18 seconds. Street price quoted at $1800. Also,while I am here,check out fixyourownprinter.com

Neuroanatomist

Oct 9, 1999
Just checked the page count on my 4550N printer: 114527 pages in 24 months. (4700 pages/month)

I still think it's a good color laser printer..

...biggest problem has been the cost of consumables for the printer (4 toners, drum kit, fuser kit, transfer kit). HP makes them easy enough to install.. it just seems like a relatively expensive printer to run.
But, then again, with all the replacable parts in 2 years we have never had to call for HP service.

Would like to try and compare against the Xerox free printer mentioned.

Viper GTS

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999

<< Just wanted to let you all know,there is an HP 4600 to be out soon.It does a reported 9600dpi,17 ppm color&bw.It has duplex standard,
first page out in 18 seconds. Street price quoted at $1800. Also,while I am here,check out fixyourownprinter.com
>>

While I don't know for absolute certain yet, I would guess 9600 dpi to be complete BS. Possible? I suppose so. Likely? Hell no. My guess is 1200x1200 with Image Ret ehancement to increase the appearance. Even the higher end monochrome laserjets don't do 9600 dpi, only 1200. It will, however, print at full speed in both color and monochrome. I anticipate the introduction of four separate imaging drums, one per toner color, & the elimination of the ITB. Should be a nice printer, but I would bet a large sum of money that it won't be 9600 dpi.

Viper GTS