HP 14" Laptop, AMD Ryzen 3 3200U, 4GB SDRAM, 128GB SSD, Whisper Silver, 14-dk0028wm $299 at Walmart

Anandtech1999

Mar 30, 2020
Cheapest Ryzen laptop at the moment (although you could technically say that the Athlon 300 and Gold/Silver ones are Ryzen cores).

Marketing blurb
Get reliable performance on the go with the HP 14-dk0028wm Laptop. With long battery life, you can stay social, productive, and connected. Designed for portability, this lightweight laptop has a micro-edge display with ultra-narrow bezel, giving you lots of screen in a smaller frame. With the latest AMD Ryzen 3 processor and a super responsive precision touch pad ? you?ve got the power to surf, stream, and do more like never before. Long-lasting battery life and fast-charge technology, this laptop lets you work and play all day. It includes ample storage for photos, videos, and music?plus a USB-C? port ready for the future of connectivity. Experience the most secure Windows ever built with Windows 10 in S Mode. With fast boot times, increased responsiveness, and added protection against phishing and malicious software, applications run more smoothly. Thrill your visual senses with the latest AMD graphics compute engines for fast, powerful, and fluid graphics. Video chat in vibrant clarity, even in low light and make every conversation a face-to-face experience for a better way to stay in touch. Boot up in seconds, transfer files without waiting hours, and enjoy a snappier experience every time you use your PC. Designed to run more efficiently and more reliably at faster speeds, DDR4 is the future of RAM. With its higher bandwidth, everything from multi-tasking to playing games gets a performance boost. Bring home the HP 14-dk0028wm Laptop today.

The big negative is the HD display but YMMV

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
I posted this deal when it was $269 (I posted a bunch of dis-jointed Walmart laptop deals with 128GB SSDs in one big sprawling thread here in Hot Deals some months ago).

I own this laptop, it is a good one! Excellent performer (though I haven't tried gaming on it).

You can upgrade the RAM, it has two SO-DIMM DDR4 slots on it, I put in 2x8GB for 16GB total into mine. (Don't believe the Walmart spec sheet that says 4GB installed / 4GB max. I think it can take 2x16GB max.) But to replace the RAM, you'll have to pull off both of those rubber anti-skid strips on the bottom, and then there are screws under them that you just remove, and snap the bottom off, and things are right there.

Edit: Oh yeah, NEAT POINT - you can run the display at 2560x1440P, using VSR feature of AMD's drivers! It's not quite as clear as a real 1440P display, but IMHO it's usable, and gives you a lot more screen real-estate, if you happen to be a "power browser" or a coder or something.

Edit: I did have an issue using the USB-C port with a Chinese USB-C Gigabit NIC, I had to install a USB-C multi-port hub, and then plug the NIc into the hub, for it to work properly.

Last edited:

Anandtech1999

Mar 30, 2020
I posted this deal when it was $269 (I posted a bunch of dis-jointed Walmart laptop deals with 128GB SSDs in one big sprawling thread here in Hot Deals some months ago).

I own this laptop, it is a good one! Excellent performer (though I haven't tried gaming on it).

You can upgrade the RAM, it has two SO-DIMM DDR4 slots on it, I put in 2x8GB for 16GB total into mine. (Don't believe the Walmart spec sheet that says 4GB installed / 4GB max. I think it can take 2x16GB max.) But to replace the RAM, you'll have to pull off both of those rubber anti-skid strips on the bottom, and then there are screws under them that you just remove, and snap the bottom off, and things are right there.

Edit: Oh yeah, NEAT POINT - you can run the display at 2560x1440P, using VSR feature of AMD's drivers! It's not quite as clear as a real 1440P display, but IMHO it's usable, and gives you a lot more screen real-estate, if you happen to be a "power browser" or a coder or something.

Sorry, i don't understand. Is it essentially interpolating the pixels? 1280 x 720 x 4?

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Sorry, i don't understand. Is it essentially interpolating the pixels? 1280 x 720 x 4?
It's kind of like how SSAA works in PC gaming. The desktop is rendered at 2560x1440, and then scaled down to the physical 1366x768 screen. Due to how sub-pixels work, there's some font-related stuff going on in the background, with cleartype and Windows 10 (it only works on Windows 10, on AMD APUs, that use DDR4) too.

Anandtech1999

Mar 30, 2020
It's kind of like how SSAA works in PC gaming. The desktop is rendered at 2560x1440, and then scaled down to the physical 1366x768 screen. Due to how sub-pixels work, there's some font-related stuff going on in the background, with cleartype and Windows 10 (it only works on Windows 10, on AMD APUs, that use DDR4) too.

I assume that performance takes a hit. I'd investigate. Sounds like a nice USP.

DaaQ

Golden Member
Dec 8, 2018
I've been eyeballing this instore, where it's 250, ironically two stores are out of stock and can't get an answer why the webstore is 50 more. crazy