HOWTO: Use Linksys WRT54G as a wireless ethernet bridge

Page 18 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

cyntek

Apr 12, 2007
Great guide, However, I have an issue with NAT on my xbox360 (it shows as Moderate) and uTorrent. The port will not open up port 15425 ( http://www.utorrent.com/testport.php?port=15425 ). How would be able to configure my problem that i have. My setup consists of: ( Main Router upstairs ) Actiontec MI424WR and 2nd router Linksys WRT54GS v1.1 DD-WRT Beta24. ( downstairs ) to enable NAT.?

Rottie

Diamond Member
Feb 10, 2002
I downloaded DD WRT today and installed on WRT54G 3.0 and no problem so i made some changes then reboot my pc now i can't get into router via 192.168.1.1 i hope it is not become a brick.

XboxYampion

May 1, 2007
I have 2 wireless G routers connected wirelessly (1 has the alchemy software on it) and the xbox is connected to the client mode router (alchemy). I connect my laptop to the alchemy router and I am able to ping the main router as well as pcs sitting behind it. I am also able to map drives to those pcs. However, I can't ping xbox (which I dont think you can anyway) and the xbox does not see my other PC running xp sp2 with Zune laying on the other side of the main router. I am however able to access xbox live and download updates etc. Any thoughts??

realEZE

Apr 19, 2007
Anyone have any luck with using DD-WRT / WRT54g and XBOX360 Media Center Extender?

For some reason, when I have my XBOX360 connected to the DD-WRT wireless bridge, media center extending does not work. Are the UPnP ports not forwarded properly through this setup?

moneyman1978

Jun 28, 2007
Anyone have any luck with using DD-WRT / WRT54g and XBOX360 Media Center Extender?

For some reason, when I have my XBOX360 connected to the DD-WRT wireless bridge, media center extending does not work. Are the UPnP ports not forwarded properly through this setup?

I have had issues with media center extenders too. But primarily its when they are behind 2 different routers. So for instance at my parents house i use a WRT54G as my main router then i gave my brother and sister a DL-514 router for their browsing needs. I would use a Linksys wireless Ethernet bridge to connect the Xbox to the PC. But if it connected to the D-link router it would not work. It would only work if it was driectly linked to the wrt54g. So to fix my issue i just programed my ethernet bridge to only connec tot the main router my wrt54g as my pc was also connected to that. eventually i figured out the ports that the media extender used and forwarded thu the DL-524 router but it has been about 2 years since i had that setup. Hope that help or you can understand it.

moneyman1978

Jun 28, 2007
pookguy88
I have tried with a WRT54g and a Belkin crappy POS lilttle lame FDblah blah blah router. It was a no go. But i know with 2 WRT54g's and say the tomato firmware it would probably work flawlessly because thats what the wireless+wds is meant to be used as.

jackass124

Jul 12, 2007
i have a Dlink 524 and Linksys 54g....currently Linksys is the main router with internet from cable modem connected to it via ethernet cable...then wanted to use the Dlink 524 to extend the wireless range of my network....but would the best way to achieve this be to make the Dlink the primary router serving DHCP, and then put Linksys into Client mode (using one of the firmwares..not sure which one exactly?!)???

thanx!

jackass124

Jul 12, 2007
Thanx JackMDS!
....once the Linksys is in client mode and my Dlink is the primary router, then the Linksys will be effectively increasing the range of my wireless network, correct??....

-thanx

JackMDS

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 25, 1999
Yap, if every thing work correctly the Linksys would pickup the D-Link and would sent the signal further On.

The bandwidth past the Linksys would be lower since the Linksys has only one Radio and it need to FlipFlop between receiving the D-Link and transmitting further.

Madwand1

Diamond Member
Jan 23, 2006
Originally posted by: jackass124
....once the Linksys is in client mode and my Dlink is the primary router, then the Linksys will be effectively increasing the range of my wireless network, correct??....

Client mode does not increase the wireless range -- i.e. you cannot connect additional wireless devices to the router which is running in client mode. It is the client, and supports additional wired clients, but does not otherwise extend the range of the wireless network.

To extend the range of a wireless network, you have to use WDS bridging or something similar, and this mode requires compatible support on both ends of the wireless connection. I.e. your main (D-Link) router would have to support the same WDS mode as the Linksys. I believe the DI-524 doesn't support any WDS mode, so it can't do this.

JackMDS

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 25, 1999

Madwand1

Diamond Member
Jan 23, 2006
Originally posted by: kohenkatz
has anyone had any succes doing this with a WRT54Gv4?

All the WRT54G versions before version 5 do client bridging, at least with DD-WRT, Tomato, and similar firmware, with relative ease. The v4 is essentially identical to the WRT54GL, which along with the Buffalo units, would be the most commonly recommended new units for this these days.

I've done DD-WRT client bridging using a WRT54GL.

kohenkatz

Jul 22, 2007
Originally posted by: Madwand1
Originally posted by: kohenkatz
has anyone had any succes doing this with a WRT54Gv4?

All the WRT54G versions before version 5 do client bridging, at least with DD-WRT, Tomato, and similar firmware, with relative ease. The v4 is essentially identical to the WRT54GL, which along with the Buffalo units, would be the most commonly recommended new units for this these days.

I've done DD-WRT client bridging using a WRT54GL.

I found the instructions for this and it works great! Now I can use my laptop again instead of using its wireless card (and the Windows XP Bridge Feature) to connect four computers to my wireless!

4wallz

Sep 28, 2007
First let me say thanks for the great instructions. I set up a WRT54G v5 router with DD-WRT_micro_generic and then applied your instructions to create a wireless bridge from my D-Link DI624.

The Linksys router is sitting in a house just down the street and the connection works great. I was wondering, however, if it should be possible for me to login to the DD-WRT router using the web GUI.

>> Edit: I have changed the configuration to Wireless Bridge as referred to below. Now I can access the second router at IP address: 192.168.0.2 from my home computer which is hard wired to the primary D-Link router at 192.168.0.1 .

Using the setup from page one of this topic, the Linksys router seemed unstable and had to be reset each time the computer was powered on.

My next step to improve the signal strength is to build a WindSurfer antenna dish as shown here: http://www.metacafe.com/watch/837885/wifi_antenna_hack/

4wallz

Sep 28, 2007
I have decided to try this method instead:

http://dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Wireless_Bridge

>>Comments: This method works quite well for me. My primary router is the D-Link DI-624 and the second router is a Linksys WRT54G v5 with DD-WRT firmware v24RC3 micro generic installed.

Now the second router's control panel can be accessed from any computer on my network, either wirelessly or wired.

I still do not have wireless access on the Linksys router, but the wired connections there work fine.

TFletch

Oct 26, 2007
user1234, the way you handled the howto in this post is wonderful, and it sounds like you know what you're doing. Are you just as knowledgeable on how I would handle the setup of a D-Link Wireless N Router? I went to the store to get the item you posted here and the Geek Squad pointed me to the D-Link and said that he would suggest it over the Linksys and that the N would give me a better signal. The D-Link was much cheaper... so I figured that this was an honest sale and not a push to just make money for the store...He said he had the Linksys and that he wished he had gotten the D-Link... so I bought it.

I've posted on a couple of boards and the response I got back was take the D-Link back...that I wouldn't be able to get two wireless routers to talk to each other unless I had a doctorate in networking...yet in your post you are getting able to use that second router to talk to the first with what looks like some basic networking steps...steps that I would have been able to follow being a teir one client support agent...so now I'm confused.

4wallz

Sep 28, 2007
Although the wireless bridge worked OK for me, I have changed the configuration of my WRT54G v5 router to the Universal Wirless Repeater. I am using DD-WRT firmware v24RC3 and the following instructions:

http://dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Universal_Wireless_Repeater

I had a little trouble with encryption, but got it to work with WPA security enabled on both routers (my D-Link DI-624 and the WRT54G). Now I have wireless access on the far end of my network where there was only wired access to the WRT previously.

demenion

Golden Member
Nov 11, 1999
Wireless bridge seems to be working (internet being shared)

but I can't seem to connect my xbox 360 to my PC to share media.

mycorrado

Dec 9, 2007
I followed the instructions as best I could but need some help..

I have the WRT54g on FreeMan 1.04.

On step 5, advanced routing, there is no operation mode to set to gateway.
INSTEAD I have () enable or () disabled and then checkboxes for

intefaces:
a) WAN b) LAN and Wireless
protocols:
a) RIP2 b) OSPF c) security d) BGP

On step 6 wireless::basic I have two client options client-routed and client-bridge.
(I chose client-bridge)

Suggestions?

mustelago

Jan 24, 2008
Hi I need help with linksys 54G v2.2 with DDr-WRT firmware v23.
I have internet provider which use 62.89.16.x my connection type is ( <---> wireless, ===== cable) Provider<------------->54G===========A14(AP)<-------->realtek8187 with Asus board. Provider want this configuration
ip62.89.16.1 ip10.170.170.175 ip130.130.0.100 ip62.89.16.175
sub 255.255.255.0 same same same
Gateway and DNS
so provider will open account for 62.89.16.175 but I need some solution to connect 1 more Pc through A14(AP) using wireless
Is it possible to make 54G work as router and Pc same time?
I can wire 54G to Pc install winroute and turn on NAT and wire back to A14 and in this way my internet connection will be shared to other users and all them will go out through 62.89.16.175.
But I want to get same thing done without Pc between 54G and A14 .

Anybody have any idea how this can be done.

mustelago

Jan 24, 2008
first ip is for provider and next 3 for each device
subnet is same for all
and also gateway and dns is 62.89.16.1 is needed only in Pc connection

ruitavares

Jan 27, 2008
Hi.
At last I seem to have found a solution to my problem. Maybe you can give me a little help with my configuration.
I have a Linksys WRT300N router with a cable modem wired to it, two wireless pc's and a NDAS storage disk from www.ximeta.com using the LPX protocol also wired to it.
On another floor where the signal is poor i need to have 1 wired and 2 wireless pc's working with it.
I am thinking in getting a WRT54GS router and set it up as you describe.
Will I be able to have all pc's with internet, seeing each other and using the NDAS disk?
I presently have as a second wrouter an old Sitecom EP9510, but i can't link it to the main one (WRT300N)
Thank you for your help