HOWTO: Set up Remote Desktop - Updated 3.28.2010

llee

Golden Member
Oct 27, 2009
This is a work-in-progress. Message me with edits or revisions if you want to contribute. This project will take approximately 10-20 minutes depending on which option you take.

Disclaimer

Any remote access to your home machine, especially one not using a VPN, is a big security threat. It makes sense to do everything you reasonably can do to minimize this threat. Using the known port for RDP is one risk, simple passwords are another, and the biggest one is the user not even being aware of these threats. I am not responsible for any damage that may be incurred through the advice put forth in this guide. Proceed at your own discretion.

Method A: Utilize External IP Address (Novice)

1. Create a User Account Password
Start -> Control Panel -> User Accounts -> Change an Account -> Account Name -> Create a Password

2. Enable Remote Access
Start -> Right Click My Computer -> Properties -> Remote* -> Allow Users to Connect Remotely to this Computer
*Vista and Windows 7 users needs to Change Advanced Settings after Properties

3. Determine MAC Address
Start -> Run -> Type “cmd” -> Ok -> Type “ipconfig –all” -> scroll up to Physical Address -> Write down MAC Address (series of numbers/letters)

4. Assign a Fixed IP Address
Start -> Browser -> Go to Router IP Address (Gateway; usually 192.168.1.1) -> Scroll to Static IP Assign (Location depends on Router, check manual) -> Type MAC Address to blank field -> Set corresponding internal IP Address of your choosing → Save Settings

5. Forward Port 3389
Start -> Browser -> Go to Router IP Address (Gateway; usually 192.168.1.1) -> Application and Gaming (Location depends on Router, check manual) -> Type Policy Name -> Type "3389" to Port Option -> Select TCP or Both for Protocol Method --> Type IP Address to blank field -> Save Settings

6. Determine External IP Address
Start -> Browser -> Go to www.whatsmyip.org -> Copy external IP Address

7. Set up Remote Desktop Connection Settings (2nd Computer)
Start -> All Programs -> Accessories -> Remote Desktop -> Fill in external IP Address -> Fill in Login Information -> Configure any other Settings -> Save Settings

8. Use Remote Desktop Connection
Start -> All Programs -> Accessories -> Remote Desktop -> Connect

Method B: Utilize DNS Server (Expert)

1. Create a User Account Password
Start -> Control Panel -> User Accounts -> Change an Account -> Account Name -> Create a Password

2. Enable Remote Access
Start -> Right Click My Computer -> Properties -> Remote* -> Allow Users to Connect Remotely to this Computer
*Vista and Windows 7 users needs to Change Advanced Settings after Properties

3. Determine MAC Address
Start -> Run -> Type “cmd” -> Ok -> Type “ipconfig –all” -> scroll up to Physical Address -> Write down MAC Address (series of numbers/letters)

4. Assign a Fixed IP Address
Start -> Browser -> Go to Router IP Address (Gateway; usually 192.168.1.1) -> Scroll to Static IP Assign (Location depends on Router, check manual) -> Type MAC Address to blank field -> Set corresponding internal IP Address of your choosing → Save Settings

5. Forward Port 3389
Start -> Browser -> Go to Router IP Address (Gateway; usually 192.168.1.1) -> Application and Gaming (Location depends on Router, check manual) -> Type Policy Name -> Type "3389" to Port Option -> Select TCP or Both for Protocol Method --> Type IP Address to blank field -> Save Settings

6. Set up DNS Alias
Start -> Browser -> Go to www.dyndns.org -> Create Account (Top Right) -> Fill in Information Blanks -> Follow Steps to Complete Registration -> Go to My Services -> Add Hostname -> Fill in Information Blanks (Leave Service Type as Host with IP Address)

7. Forward DNS Settings
Start -> Browser -> Go to Router IP Address (Gateway; usually 192.168.1.1) -> DDNS (Location depends on Router, check manual) -> Select dyndns.org -> Fill in Account and Alias Information -> Save Settings

8. Set up IP Address Updater
Start -> Browser -> Go to www.dyndns.org -> Support -> Update Clients (Left Side) -> Download Updater -> Install Updater -> Run and Configure Updater Settings

9. Set up Remote Desktop Connection Settings (2nd Computer)
Start -> All Programs -> Accessories -> Remote Desktop -> Fill in DNS Alias as the Target -> Fill in Login Information -> Configure any other Settings -> Save Settings

10. Use Remote Desktop Connection
Start -> All Programs -> Accessories -> Remote Desktop -> Connect

Additional Considerations

Ethernet Trace
Its a good idea after setting up the port forward, but before enabling remote desktop on the target machine, to leave an ethernet trace running on the target machine. This will give an idea at that time if anyone is trying to hack in. (Credit to robmurphy)

Strong Passwords
Make sure the target machine has "strong" passwords. Remember this is securing access from all of the web, and not just from your local network, or keyboard. (Credit to robmurphy)

Default Port
Using the default port is not advised. If someone runs a port scan and sees the default port for RDP open its a fair chance they will assume rightly its for RDP. I know its a registry change but you can change the port used for RDP. I changed the port my machine uses for RDP to an unused port (chosen at random). While its only a little more security it all helps, and as its a normally unused port the hacker will have to guess what the port is for. (Credit to robmurphy)

Frequently Asked Questions

Q. How does Remote Desktop compare to GoToMyPC, Teamviewer, LogMeIn
How is it comparing to gotomyPC.
A. Those applications do the work of bypassing NAT for you whereas remote desktop doesn't. Deciding which solution is better is up to personal preference. If your needs are within their service feature (Free or Paid), and you do not mind that your info is mitigated by someone else's server, then it is an easy solution. (Credits to Tbirdkid, JackMDS)

Q. Do I need to use a DNS Server?
A. You do not always need the DNS. Usually, a public IP address is dynamic but changes rarely. If users already know their external IP address they do not need a DNS name for it. (Credit to robmurphy)

Last edited:

Tbirdkid

Diamond Member
Apr 16, 2002
gotomypc, logmein, etc all do the work of bypassing nat for you. where remote desktop doesnt. as for which one is better, is kind of a preference thing.

JackMDS

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 25, 1999
How is it comparing to gotomyPC ? Thanks.

They certain limitations.

If your needs are within their service feature (Free or Paid), and you do not mind that your Info is mitigated by someone else Server, then it is a Good easy solution.

robmurphy

Feb 16, 2007
The routers I have seen forward to an IP address not a MAC address.

You do not always need the DNS. My public IP address is dynamic, but changes rarely. I only have to look at the router to see my public IP address, and most people are only interested in setting up remote desktop for themselves. If users already know the IP address they do not need a DNS name for it.

Please please please do not use the default port. If someone runs a port scan and sees the default port for RDP open its a fair chance they will assume rightly its for RDP. I know its a registry change but you can change the port used for RDP. I changed the port my machine uses for RDP to an unused port (chosen at random). While its only a little more security it all helps, and as its a normally unused port the hacker will have to guess what the port is for.

Its a good idea after setting up the port forward, but before enabling remote desktop on the target machine, to leave an ethernet trace running on the target machine. This will give an idea at that time if anyone is trying to hack in.

Make sure the target machine has "strong" passwords. Remember this is securing access from all of the web, and not just from your local network, or keyboard.

Even after all of the above I still left ethernet traces running for a month after setting up the remote access, and checked it every few days for accesses that were not from me.

Any remote access to your home machine, especially one not using a VPN, is a big security threat. It makes sense to do everything you reasonably can do to minimise this threat. I honestly think using the known port for RDP is one risk, simple passwords are another, and the biggest one is the user not even being aware of these threats.

Rob.

xbonez

Nov 29, 2010
any advantage of using this over a VNC connection (via a VNC client)? Coz VNC seems a lot easier to set up.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Will this guide cover setting up RDP such that it is not subject to MITM attacks? I haven't seen anything good for that, it appears that one MUST set up a VPN, before using RDP over it. It's just too dangerous, and irresponsible, to run "raw" RDP over the internet.

llee

Golden Member
Oct 27, 2009
You guys are totally right. Simply opening up a connection to the internet is risky business. When I use RDP I make sure that I have a secure password (12+ characters). To be honest, apps like TeamViewer are 10 times easier to setup and should be the way to go for most people. However, RDP has always felt faster for me, for example if I want to work with Sketchup off of a netbook, and that's why I continue to use it.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
You guys are totally right. Simply opening up a connection to the internet is risky business. When I use RDP I make sure that I have a secure password (12+ characters). To be honest, apps like TeamViewer are 10 times easier to setup and should be the way to go for most people. However, RDP has always felt faster for me, for example if I want to work with Sketchup off of a netbook, and that's why I continue to use it.

It doesn't matter how long your password is, if the connection is subject to MITM attacks. It's trivial to sniff the password after the connection has been intercepted.

llee

Golden Member
Oct 27, 2009
MITM? I'm not following. Are you saying the fact that the connection itself isn't encrypted is the biggest flaw in the setup? That would make sense.

g0dMAn

Lifer
Nov 10, 2005
Just came across this thread by clicking in Leon's signature. I already know how to set this all up and if I may add... I always use a different port than 3389. It's such a simple change, too:
In registry, go here...
HKLM\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\Terminal Server\WinStations\RDP-Tcp\
Now double-click on PortNumber on the right. Switch "Base" to "Decimal", punch in the port you'd like to set it to, hit OK, and restart. ;)